What is a zig rig?

icepuffin

Being new to fishing some of the terms used I don't understand. :oops:

One of them is a zig rig, it is mentioned frequently and I have tried to search on the forum for a picture or visual representation of what a zig rig is.

Perhaps someone could please explain to a numpty like me what it is and why it is so popular - many thanks. :confused:

Simply a long hooklink. When combined with a buoyant bait such as, pop-ups, cork balls, foam etc, will pull towards the surface and will present your bait off the bottom of the lake bed. For example, you see fish cruising on the surface, five feet up for instance, you create a hooklink five feet long with a buoyant bait and your bait should be presented on the surface, if you want a bait in mid water, 3 foot hooklength.

If that makes sense, that is the basic principle of a zig rig. There are several things you can do to make the set up look far less blatant but that sort of information is all over this forum, have a quick look and i'm certain you will find all the information you need.

Well that's one question to cross off my list, many thanks.

Not sure about using foam though, I would worry about a fish swallowing it, would it disolve?

it's a foam that you use to make a bottom bait lift off the bottom!! And i have been useing it for a while now and i have never had a carp take it off my hair. i use a pellet stop the v ones that sets in the pellet so it makes the foam very hard to come off even bye me pulling at it. If i didnt think it was safe i wouldnt use it. I have seen other people use it and non have ever really said its come off. I am sure it cant do that much harm to the fish or no company would make it to use with baits hope thats cleared up every thing

A bit off subject now i know , but what if a piece of foam does get digested, .

Even some of these imitation baits that are available now, do they just sit in the gut or will they break down over time ?

im pretty sure it comes out the other end :wink:

[is a fish able to 'spit it out' ] all to often :evil: , :lol::lol:

I am sure it cant do that much harm to the fish or no company would make it to use with baits hope thats cleared up every thing

fishing tackle/bait manufacturers producde great volumes of bait/tackle that is considered by some to be unsafe. An example is high oil pellets which many are now starting to think is very unhealthy for fish in the long term.

Having said that, carp will happily eat a tiger nut and then poop it out whole, so a bit of rig foam should not present a big problem :)

• 3 weeks later...