Hook Size

slinkysaddler

:lol::lol::lol:

go get your size 6 and 8 hooks and see what you think for yourself :wink: keep in mind the size of a doubles mouth,and the fact they suck in stones and twigs while feeding,then the difference in weight between the two is so minimal its not worth worrying about.

id bet most boillies weigh more then the actual hook any way

He isn't, absolute rubbish! Any carp can pick up any size of hook, within reason, your not using giant catfish hooks and fishing for 2lb carp. It really doesn't matter what size you use as long as it is suitable. A carp of 12lb could pick up a size 2 but, do you need a size 2?

Just to add, the biggest hook I use in the UK is size 6.

Cheers

Will

I have caught roach of around 8oz on size 8 hooks hair rigged. To put it in context, the fish could only just open wide enough to fit the gape of the hook, and the hook was so big the point came out the bottom of the jaw like a harpoon!

In fact this was no one off - it happened 2-3 times the same session, so I guess if a fish can physically fit the hook in its mouth, then in the right circumstances, it will do so!

• 2 months later...
I got told today on the bank by another fisherman.. that by using size 6 hooks it stops me from catching lower double figure carp.. As there to big to pick up or suck up... is this correct.. :cry: If it is do i need to drop down to size 8 ??

Fish to what you find is right for your fishing.

As Stoogi has says there is much difference between the same size hook in various brands and patterns, there is not really a universal hook size guide.

Its not just carp fishing that will make you think about the hook size you use, I often use size 8's for roach fishing, be it with sweetcorn or bread as bait, and for carp and chub I will if need be go up to a size 2.

A size 2 in a chubs mouth with a large lobworm, slug or bit of bread easily gets lost, and a carp can easily suck in the same size worm on that hook, or even a large piece of crust :wink:

The main reason for the size of hook we use is more to match the bait size to, although with hair rigging we can make that more difficult to think about.

• 1 month later...

i was about to post a similar question .in my first year back to fishing and looking to learn about carping ive been fishing a runs water and trying out many techniques.the carp go to about 16lb max.no weed or snags to worry about and on this club water there is no boiles allowed. i tend to use a size 10 drenam carp hook on the hair and this works quite well, but do lose some fish after a good take and 10-15 seconds of having the fish on.ive experimented with different lengths of hair and longer and shorter hook lengths but cant pin it down. is it the hook size ? or maybe the hooks are not upto it and i need a sharper/better type of hook. any thoughts.

I was always taught by my old fella to air on the larger size when fishing, even in the canals fishing for roach perch etc. I would use nothing smaller than a size 12 for maggot or worm fishing,

I fish a lake that has a lot of low to middle doubles, and fish a size 6 hook most of the time

I have plenty of nice action

Bowza

I used to use them bloody great Drennan Continentals in a size 4 back in the day, they were like anchors. 1/2lb silver bream used to pick them up. I don't think there is a carp alive that can't physically pick up a size 6.

My local commercial that i used to fish put loads of f1s in, a shy biting fish, i think not, rip roaring runs and 1lb f1s result on size 6s

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it about time hook suppliers stopped selling hooks with arbitrary, meaningless numbers as their 'size'?

On this Forum it has been commented that a size 10 from one manufacturer bears no relation to a size 10 from another manufacturer; it makes comparing hooks by 'size' impossible!

For a long time now I have been 'grading' my hooks by gape and shank length, thus a Solar X-Wide Stronghold is a 9 x 12 (9 mm. hook gape by 12 mm. shank length [the point on the shank opposite the point to the eye]).

Making up a spreadsheet I can compare exactly different hooks from different makers.

And so could everyone else to compare like with like!