Leaders

carpermartin

Hi

Korda leaders are they worth the money or is there something else out there that is just as good especially with someone who has a tight budget? At 5 quid a leaders it can be quite dear especially with 3 rods and 4 different types.

Martin

I believe that mainline straight through only helps to keep your rig less visible to the fish. As long as you fish slack and your lines are tight to the bottom mainline is very hard to see and you may find that a leader is easier to see! May I ask why you are using a leader?

Guest keenook
nope 20m of leadcore is a yenner

Great answer, the guy asks about leaders, and seems new to the game (or he would not of posted) and you recomend leadcore??? :roll:

• 1 month later...
I believe that mainline straight through only helps to keep your rig less visible to the fish. As long as you fish slack and your lines are tight to the bottom mainline is very hard to see and you may find that a leader is easier to see! May I ask why you are using a leader?

safezone leaders are designed to prevent harm to the fish once hooked, mainline without tubing (in certain situations like the line being wrapped around the carp) will take scales off of a carp and damage the fish, braided mainline would probably cut a carp in half

fish saftey is upmost

safezone leaders are designed to prevent harm to the fish once hooked, mainline without tubing (in certain situations like the line being wrapped around the carp) will take scales off of a carp and damage the fish, braided mainline would probably cut a carp in half

fish saftey is upmost

if your inexperiencced.

not necessarily mate, leaders are designed for this reason, SAFE-ZONE leaders...

Ask Fairbrass himself

PUKKa !!!!

Oh lordy :roll:

Safe zone leaders are designed to create a safe feeding zone around the hookbait. They're not about protecting the fish. Danny says as much on one of his many videos.

Either way, they're pants.

tubing and leaders are there primarily to avoid tangles (anti tangle tubing) fairbrass being the person he is see a gap in the market and has caught yet more anglers. he knows how to catch people and thats a fact

nor not a safe feeding zone for carp to feed on, that was a sick remark fella, the safe leaders are to cause minimal damge to fish once hooked, its simple, mainline when streched is like a cheese cutter razor wire, the leaders are designed for fish safety

would you rather catch a carp but damage it in the process ? fish safety is the upmost priority

tubing and leaders are there primarily to avoid tangles (anti tangle tubing) fairbrass being the person he is see a gap in the market and has caught yet more anglers. he knows how to catch people and thats a fact

defintley mate spot on there fella, anti tangle defo, but that leader rubbing againts the flank of a carp when fighting it into the net would cause minmal damge weras mainline or braid mainline will

:P

nor not a safe feeding zone for carp to feed on, that was a sick remark fella, the safe leaders are to cause minimal damge to fish once hooked, its simple, mainline when streched is like a cheese cutter razor wire, the leaders are designed for fish safety

would you rather catch a carp but damage it in the process ? fish safety is the upmost priority

I'm afraid you've got it completely wrong fella. The wording of "safe zone" was to produce an area around the bait that the fish considered safe it does nothing to reduce damage to the fish during the fight. In fact, by moving the weak point [first knot] further up the line you are creating a rig which is more likely to harm the carp after any kind of snap off. We have banned leader here for several years now and our carp are all in mint condition and even the fifty plus common doesn't have a single scale out of place.

The only part of your posts that I would agree with is that you should use tubing with braided main line.

Guest keenook

defintley mate spot on there fella, anti tangle defo, but that leader rubbing againts the flank of a carp when fighting it into the net would cause minmal damge weras mainline or braid mainline will

:P

So what happens when you are either float or floater fishing for Carp? I use mono strait through and have never damaged a Carps flank or lifted a scale with the line, It's a Myth!

There's so much wrong with that post, it's hard to know where to start. So you don't fish on the surface? Or use zig rigs? In 10 years of using mono straight through, i've never lifted a scale. That can't be down to luck, 'cos believe me i'm just not that lucky. As Moorsey said, knots are far more likely to get under scales. If stretched mono were like cheese wire, i'd only land half a carp. Mine tend to be whole.

ok lads just leave it at that, i understand that weh using zigs and floater fishing i actually havnt lifted a scale either point taken, but i still will always use leaders or tubing for extra safety

im not brainwashed by Pukka Munga Fairbrass he has learned me alot and is a mint angler, but i used to go fishing before id even heard of him and all these other big name anglers, and i would catch carp safely then aswell

leave it at that fellas, opinion accross !! :)

ok lads just leave it at that, i understand that weh using zigs and floater fishing i actually havnt lifted a scale either point taken, but i still will always use leaders or tubing for extra safetyim not brainwashed by Pukka Munga Fairbrass he has learned me alot and is a mint angler, but i used to go fishing before id even heard of him and all these other big name anglers, and i would catch carp safely then aswell

Sorry I can't leave it at that because you don't seem to realise the extra danger that you are putting the carp under by using any kind of leader.

With any leader you have the knot joining it to the mainline as the weakest point so any snap off [casting, during the fight or pulling for a break] will potentially leave a fish towing a length of very strong line. As that leader is designed to be heavy and sink it is likely to get caught up in roots or snags and could then tether the carp to a section of line which it will not be able to break and the best it can hope for is to rip its mouth open in order to escape or die.

There have been several published accounts of fish being severely damaged or killed because of leaders.

ok lads just leave it at that, i understand that weh using zigs and floater fishing i actually havnt lifted a scale either point taken, but i still will always use leaders or tubing for extra safety

im not brainwashed by Pukka Munga Fairbrass he has learned me alot and is a mint angler, but i used to go fishing before id even heard of him and all these other big name anglers, and i would catch carp safely then aswell

Safe Zone DOES NOT refer to fish safety, it is the area around the hookbait that he is trying to create.

I have retrieved a Safe Zone leader, that was not in any way safe at all. The lead would not or could not be removed by anything other than brute force and a pair of pliers to cut the lead off. The leader was attached to tens of metres of line, and the rig could not be ejected

Extra Safety?

You have been brainwashed, extra safety is NOT using leaders at all.

In fact, having seen some of the big name anglers and how they fish, some definitely haven't heard of carp safety or don't care. That matter was definitely brought up in this months Carpology.

IS using a 10ft length of leadcore safe?

Honest answer...

I can name a big name angler who does!

Every time you put on a leader you are moving the weakest point further up the line to the mainline to the leader knot. Without a leader the weak point is the mainline to hooklink join (usually swivel or quicklink), and so in the event of a break the fish is only carrying a hooklink, hook and swivel, which CAN easily be ejected as there is no tension on the hook.

EVERY leader increases the risk of a fish getting tethered, a lead not releasing, tension holding the hook in place.

Have a read of some of the back issues of Carpology, I can't remember who, sorry, but tubing is apparently able to be caught up on weed and pulled down causing bunching up. (Something I'm going to have to experiment with in a fishing situation :!: )

That possibly leads to a lead not being able to be released.

In other words, Leaders and tubing are less safe than plain straight mainline straight through. The choice of the tiny possibility of lifting a scale with mainline, or the larger risk of tethering a fish on a leader?

I'm fishing WITHOUT leaders, and where I don't need it without tubing as well.

Now lets leave it at that :wink:

I did give the original link, but here it is again, as all these posts have been copied and pasted:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32598