leaders

diesel81

Safezones are the bees, the vast majority of my fishing incorporates these. They are available in all colours, lengths and with/without clips.

Get on them :wink:

Not cheap like :oops:

And do NOT have anything in common with their name, i.e, they are NOT safe!

On a query note, why do you think that you need a leader?

At anything over 40metres the line is going to arc down from the rod tip to the lakebed. A leader serves no useful purpose, and does not hide the line anyway in most cases.

I know what your getting at nick but its not that cut and dried. Undertow WILL move your line, as will fluttering fins for eg. Safezones are made from a material and are of a thickness that will not cut into a fish if it wraps up, unlike fishing straight through.

We both know what the dangers of leadcore are so these are THE best alternative in the situation mentioned. They also have excellent abrasion resistance, better than a heavy fluoro leader for example.

I know what your getting at nick but its not that cut and dried. Undertow WILL move your line, as will fluttering fins for eg. Safezones are made from a material and are of a thickness that will not cut into a fish if it wraps up, unlike fishing straight through.

We both know what the dangers of leadcore are so these are THE best alternative in the situation mentioned. They also have excellent abrasion resistance, better than a heavy fluoro leader for example.

Please,

I have retrieved a Safezone leader and attached mainline (measured in terms of 10's of metres) that the lead could not release, was totally jammed up in weed, and the rig could not release. I tried, the bailiff at Suffolk Water Park tried, and between us we could not get anything to release until we gripped the lead in pliers, and twisted the whole lot free.

If a fish had taken the attached plastic hookbait that was one tethered fish!

In my view the only place for any leader is for extreme distance casting, and then if any snags are present, forget it and accept that you aren't going to cast as far.

Leader or not:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32598

Ok, fair enough. I think its a case of the manufacturers designing products that they just expect people to understand. I mean, i drop leads when i need to, and sometimes when i dont need to :oops:

I admit people do set them up wrong but its the CLIPS not the leaders.

And im not talking shockleaders nick, i hope your not misunderstanding :?

Ok, fair enough. I think its a case of the manufacturers designing products that they just expect people to understand. I mean, i drop leads when i need to, and sometimes when i dont need to :oops:

I admit people do set them up wrong but its the CLIPS not the leaders.

And im not talking shockleaders nick, i hope your not misunderstanding :?

No, I'm not misunderstanding.

And in this case it wasn't Leadclip it was a Safezone Helicopter leader, where the rig should be able to be ejected.

Shockleader, the only need for a leader, absolute distance casting, and NOT if there are snags!

Thats a shame, must of been something to do with the setup. I am yet to find a better solution and i dont agree that a leader isnt necessary.

Surely you dont fish without one all the time?

I don't use a leader, EXCEPT where I am distance casting.

I use straight through mainline with the last 30centimetres protected by tubing.

For Silt/Helicopter rigs get a piece of RIGID tubing of between 1-5cms, a rubber bead (2 if you want it to be able to slide up and down the line, or use a tail rubber to hold the tubing in place), a bullet buffer bead or tail rubber, and a ring swivel.

Tie your rig onto the swivel as normal, and use the ring on the swivel to go onto the rigid tubing. Put the rubber bead onto the tubing to hold the rig in place, and then push the tubing into the tail rubber or bullet bead.

You can either tie the lead on or use a quick link style clip, and the bullet bead protects the knot.

If it is free running the tubing can slide up and down the mainline. It CAN also be used with a leader, and because the rubber bead (NOT glued into place), will eject off the tubing in the event of a snap-off, the ring swivel and rig can also be ejected.

Safe Helicopter set-up using tubing

Helicopterrigwithtubing001.jpg

Helicopterrigwithtubing.jpg

A length of stiff tubing, and a Tail rubber at the end, and a large ring swivel

The beads are soft rubber beads, and under LIGHT pressure do release, so there is no way that the fish should get snagged up and be left trailing any more than just a rig. The length of tubing can be used as a short length shown, or can be used longer if you would like a more Silt style set-up. As can be seen from the second pic, the lead is held onto a quick link swivel by the wide end of the tail rubber. Again this tail rubber can eject from the tubing, and in addition the lead should be able to be ejected safely.

If you use it with a leader, please make sure that the top bead can slide over the leader knot and that the rig swivel can also go over it, although any leader increases the chance of a tethered fish. I would suggest that if there are any snags or weed then the leader is dispensed with.

Aside from the fact that I had been playing with a rig set-up using hooks that are over 10years old to give me an idea, this is still pretty much my current set-up for sliding or helicopter set-ups :wink:

I like it, actually in my earlier post i mentioned dropping leads?? This was on my 1st session on my new syndi. I knew when i lost a fish the lead set-up was to blame.

Ill have a look at this for my bottom bait presentation next time out. As far as pop ups go the silt rig straight through was my other thought, but would you set it up the same?

Normally i use a splicing needle and make new holes in the bead, this leaves the original holes to fill with putty to stop them lifting the line. I also thought about a heavy fluoro leader :twisted: But using stop knots instead of the spliced beads, if that makes sense :?:oops:

I like it, actually in my earlier post i mentioned dropping leads?? This was on my 1st session on my new syndi. I knew when i lost a fish the lead set-up was to blame.

Ill have a look at this for my bottom bait presentation next time out. As far as pop ups go the silt rig straight through was my other thought, but would you set it up the same?

Normally i use a splicing needle and make new holes in the bead, this leaves the original holes to fill with putty to stop them lifting the line. I also thought about a heavy fluoro leader :twisted: But using stop knots instead of the spliced beads, if that makes sense :?:oops:

The set-up pictured above works for pop-ups or bottom baits, and over various types of lakebed :wink:

Just tie a rig to suit how you think is best :wink: