how can a SAFE and usuable chod/helicopter rig be made??

nafy118

The absolute safest way IMO is to not use a leader at all. Just thread a bead onto your mainline and set it at the depth you want the rig to slide back, then put your rig on, then another bead, then a 2 inch length of anti tangle tubing to protect the mainline, then a 1 inch length of silicone sleeving, tie a quick link onto the end of your line via an over hand loop, attach a lead and slide everything but the top bead down to the lead.

It's best to use a sinking mainline and make sure to mould putty around the base of the swivel on your rig to stop it floating off the deck. :wink:

I hope that makes sense ??

as the title says lads, baffle me away :D

Safe and usable Helicopter set-up

Get a piece of hard tubing, 1bullet buffer bead, 2 soft rubber beads and a ring swivel or equivalents.

I believe I have a pic or 2, from when I was playing with the idea :wink:

Those hooks are something like 1995 patterns so you can see how long I have had an enquiring mind as to what I can play around with and ways to work things out :wink:

Helicopterrigwithtubing.jpg

Helicopterrigwithtubing001.jpg

The top bead being able to slide off the top of the body under minimal pressure means the rig swivel can also slide over any leader knot.

Therefore as far as I'm concerned that means that you can fish an absolute Long Casting set-up safely with a Helicopter rig, or with a Running Lead.

I remember posting on a thread a while ago about Helicopter rigs and I mentioned the JRC Helicopter beads, and there was also an alternative at the time in Cox and Rawle Beach Beads

• 3 weeks later...

Well, i played about with some old lead core over xmas and you guessed it,

still cant find a way of using it safely, though terry hearn did an article about lead/chod and recommended using heavy mainline with l/core to reduce the overall chance of snapping of, that made me think it might be right to use heavy mainline and a weaker hooklink with the l/core.

Still think its a no go though, so im trying rig marole kevlar leader for the chod rig, its metal free apart from the quick link swivel at one end, 50lb breaking strain and thinner than lead core so any bead will slip of with ease :wink:

i will post a pic of the set up soon for you fellow anglers to give your opinion 8)

Picture009.jpg

17 lb x-line or another heavy fluoro main line. Slide one of the new small size korda hooklink sinkers about 4ft up the mainline, now slide a soft 4 or 5mm rubber bead onto the sinker this will act as the top bead for the chod and not move for the cast but will release easily under pressure from a fish in the event of a line break releasing the hooklink. Below the chod you can either add another korda sinker + bead and have a fixed chod or just use it running with a bead above a short weak lead link at the line end. Fish it slack and it's a safe and effective chod rig without the use of leadcore or a fused leader.

20ib x line float stops and beads bobs your uncle as safe as you can get .
Basically what i said above but i use the new korda hooklink sinkers instead of float stops as they just help to hold the pop up down to the lake bed a bit better. Still both systems nice and simple and pretty safe.