getting past the small stuff

fatblanka

just a quick one,though i will probably go on abit so sorry in advance...

i joined a small syndicate in june,which has a decent head of nice size carp in for the size of the lake,the lake record came out last week at 31.4lb.

my first two sessions resulted in three 20 plus carp,not a new pb unfortuntley,but was suitably pleased with my results.this was the first week after closed season,so thought i was giong to be in with a good few months ahead.....

my trouble is that now last years spawn,or asbos as we like to call them have got seriously hungry,and am now struggling like hell to get through them.my mate had 18 6 inch carp on an overnighter last week,and we have both woke up to find our line facing a completley diffrent side of the lake,with small pasties connected to each rod without even registering on our alarms :shock:

i have been using the kd rig religiously,as i am yet to lose a fish on it,but am now wondering if its the way forward,as i am nailing these little beauties square in the bottom lip,using double 15mm boilies...there is no way they can fit them in thier mouths!!!!!

any input or ideas on how to single out the biggies would be much apreciated.cheers

How big is the hook, and how much separation is there between the hook and the boilies?

I ended up using double and triple-18s in France to get around the pasties, but with a 25mm separation between hook and bait. That way the bait was getting picked up by the little 'uns but not being taken back fully as it would with a bigger fish. Separating the baits on the hair helped too, with the double-baits next to each other, a 10mm gap then the third boilie, and finally a 25mm gap to the hook.

Agreed increase the hair length, basic physics really. be warned though ive hooked a few pasties in the belly etc... as they get frustrated that they cant eat the bait, they roll on the bottom and somemtimes pick up the hook. or if your not short on money or bait then feed them off with particles in another area of the lake.

size 8 curv shank,tied kd style with the to of the bait level with the bottom of thre curv of the hook.just standard kd style really.thought of going back to basics thats caught in the past,just love the reliability of the kd i suppose.

thanks for the tips though,back on there tonight so i will try whip a goodn out :P

size 8 curv shank,tied kd style with the to of the bait level with the bottom of thre curv of the hook.just standard kd style really.thought of going back to basics thats caught in the past,just love the reliability of the kd i suppose.

thanks for the tips though,back on there tonight so i will try whip a goodn out :P

Reliability of the KD?

Try my rig, not KD and everything I've had since I joined the water has been 20lb+ :P

Seriously I'm using an 18mm bottom bait and a 15mm pop-up on a snowman set-up. I have not fed a single particle in this year, all my baiting has been with boilies, so that may also be another reason why I'm not getting smaller fish

If there are that many small fish and very few bigger fish I would actually forget sticking the rods out on buzzers and try to stalk the big fish. If that is not an option, then BIG baits on larger hooks.

the only reason i say reliability,is that im yet to lose a fish,hook pull or otherwise,and they always seem to be nailed in the centre if the bottom lip! fished a day ticket on sunday( my syndicate is rota basis week on week off) and managed to tease the first carp out in 5 days :D tried a blow back rig,still using the 18s,and it seemed to do the trick,so will give it a bash next week.

i was thinking that maybe with the kd,that there is alot of play between the boiliee and the hook,and seeing as the bait was far to big for the pasties mouth,they are still able to pick up the hook?? i dunno,just thinking that if the fish has actualy got to suck in the bait,to actualy get the hook in its mouth,i have less chance of picking up the small stuff? what you reckon?