Beginner question - running rig?

mdjones

Hi guys,

Newbie here, so sorry if it seems a silly question to be asking.

I'm new to the forum and posted recently in the newcomers section so my background if you like can be found there. But basically I used to fish when i was about 15, not knowing an awful lot really. But now I'm wanting to get back into it.

I'm going to start off using a running rig, or possibly a shocker rig. Got a couple of questions to ask. Is rig tubing a necessity when using a either of these rigs?

Also, I'm a little confused as to what goes where. So, with a shocker righ, the mainline come from the bank and directly to the stopknot before the bead, or is there a swivel or something of some sort before the stopknow

Thought I would ask because I'd rather have a safer rig that works rather than a rig that's a potential threat to the fish

Hello there mate

To be honest if your still unsure about the rigs used in carp fishing at the moment I'd suggest looking at the Korda starter lead clip packs. Fish safe method if you follow the simple instructions and will probably get better hook ups.

Very simple to start with and im sure you will be able to buy the parts individually afterwards and set it up yourself (works out cheaper).

On a side note you don't have to use rig tubing on a running rig or any rig for that point. Although some anglers don't i prefer to use it as i feel it's better for the fish.

Ah right okay. If that'd be the best to start with then its better using that then. I've seen them, but where would you use the tubing that comes with them. Is it the korda lead clip action pack that your talking about. Something like that anyway

Yes mate, it's called the korda lead clip action pack. Think it contains 5 whole rig components so 5 of each part which is tubing/rubbers/clips(with swivel inserted). You just simply thread the tubing onto your mainline. Thread it through the rubber and tie it onto the swivel in the clip. Connect your hooklink onto the swivel on the front of the clip pop your lead on and your ready to go. In the case of a snap off the lead will come free from the clip. It will also come free if your fish gets snagged during the fight which can help you land a fish you otherwise may of lost. Sounds a bit complicated but im sure with the instructions on the pack it's a diddle :D Only issue though is if your mainline is old and twisted the tubing will be a pain to thread on. But it's probably time to replace it if it's in such a bad way :P

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37603 a diagram of the rig

Guest andypalf

Sorry joey, I'm going to slightly disagree with you on this one. If you're just starting out and don't quite understand the different set ups I would advise against using the Korda stuff. Many people often push the tail rubbers of a safety clip on too far and end up with a death rig effectively. I'm not saying that you'd do this mdjones, but until you are familiar with specific tackle I'd stay clear.

A simple running rig will get you going. It's safe and simple. Try this....

Thread your lead onto your mainline (either straight on or with a snap swivel). Thread a rubber bead onto your mainline next, this will act as a buffer so that your lead won't damage your knot. Tie your mainline to a swivel. On the other end of your mainline attach your hooklink. Try and use a hooklink that is of a lower breaking strain than your mainline, hopefully if there is a breakage it will be your hooklink and the fish will be trainling just an inch or two of line. Hopefully someone can dig out a diagram to clarify what I'm trying to explain.

You don't need any tubing with this set up and in my experience you get screaming runs with a running rig. Fish it with slack or semi-slack lines and you've got a system that many very very experience anglers fish with and it simple and safe.

Once you've done a bit of reading and your comfortable with other rig components you can try them out.

Sorry joey, I'm going to slightly disagree with you on this one. If you're just starting out and don't quite understand the different set ups I would advise against using the Korda stuff. Many people often push the tail rubbers of a safety clip on too far and end up with a death rig effectively. I'm not saying that you'd do this mdjones, but until you are familiar with specific tackle I'd stay clear.

Thread your lead onto your mainline (either straight on or with a snap swivel). Thread a rubber bead onto your mainline next, this will act as a buffer so that your lead won't damage your knot. Tie your mainline to a swivel. On the other end of your mainline attach your hooklink. Try and use a hooklink that is of a lower breaking strain than your mainline, hopefully if there is a breakage it will be your hooklink and the fish will be trainling just an inch or two of line. Hopefully someone can dig out a diagram to clarify what I'm trying to explain.

You don't need any tubing with this set up and in my experience you get screaming runs with a running rig. Fish it with slack or semi-slack lines and you've got a system that many very very experience anglers fish with and it simple and safe.

Once you've done a bit of reading and your comfortable with other rig components you can try them out.

Hmm yeah i suppose your right. But I thought the lead clip pack included detailed instructions that made it hard to set it up wrong, But i haven't brought one so just a guess. Plus i hate running rigs :P

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=41819&highlight=basic+set

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=41751&highlight=basic+set

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=38841&highlight=basic+set

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22185&highlight=basic+set

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33265&highlight=basic+set

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=12338&highlight=basic+set

here are a few threads that will be of some help to you, if you reply to any of the links i have given you then that thread will come back up to the top again for others to see. i would stay away from semi fixed and g with running rigs because of the dangers and with being new to it just dont take the chance mate. welcome and have fun :wink:

Hmm yeah i suppose your right. But I thought the lead clip pack included detailed instructions that made it hard to set it up wrong, But i haven't brought one so just a guess. Plus i hate running rigs :P

You keep on hating them then :shock: . When I'm outcatching you with your semi-fixed set-up to my running lead then I'll laugh and say I told you so :P:wink::twisted:

Far better indication with a Running rig in most cases than with a semi-fixed lead :wink:

Various manufacturers do make Running rig set-ups, but as Andy said, a Link swivel or even a clean lead running up and down the mainline.

To use it effectively a Running lead needs to be fished with a slack line, as slack as you can get it. Basically the line should be touching every single ring, and dropping straight off the rod tip.

The only reason I buy Solar Running rigs is because I think that they are better than the majority on the market, and I like the size of the Run rings that come with them.

There is no real reason to use tubing on any lead set-up, but it does help prevent tangles, and protect the mainline. With tubing on a Running Lead you increase the resistance.

I'll put a couple of links in for you, one shows a Running lead set-up (with tubing), and the other is a long discussion on Lead set-ups. Read it slowly and think about it, and it may make understanding easier :wink:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37603

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26640

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=27479

Guest andypalf
You keep on hating them then :shock: . When I'm outcatching you with your semi-fixed set-up to my running lead then I'll laugh and say I told you so :P:wink::twisted:

I don't hate them at all Nick. As a standard set up I use the ESP safety clips with anchor tubing. At the moment I'm only using a running rig on my stalking set up. However, that set up (using X-Line :twisted: ) is proving to be quite succesful. Especially as bite are very finicky on my current water....not with the running rig! :D:D

mdjones: you're right plenty of lead shapes and sizes. Personally I use two shapes....flat pear and casting between 1oz and 3oz. To some people lead shape and size is of huge importance. Have a read hear and try to adjust to your circumstances.

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22174&highlight=pear

Good luck!

I don't hate them at all Nick. As a standard set up I use the ESP safety clips with anchor tubing. At the moment I'm only using a running rig on my stalking set up. However, that set up (using X-Line :twisted: ) is proving to be quite succesful. Especially as bite are very finicky on my current water....not with the running rig! :D:D

mdjones: you're right plenty of lead shapes and sizes. Personally I use two shapes....flat pear and casting between 1oz and 3oz. To some people lead shape and size is of huge importance. Have a read hear and try to adjust to your circumstances.

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22174&highlight=pear

Good luck!

Wasn't aimed at you mate, :wink:

Have a look at Joeyb's reply :wink:

which type of lead do you recommend I use, theres so many different types

Standard lead on most waters I would stick with a Pear lead.

• 1 year later...

Im just starting out and im a little confused...

After reading many topics about how to start out and what people advise and like to fish themselves i have come the the conclusion that i want to keep things simple and use inline leads over all the other rigs, which in my mind would start to confuse me even more so.

The question is....

If im using an inline running lead do i have to use tubing or am i right in thinking that the sleave insert for the inline lead is enough? surely using a lead with no sleave or tubing could cause damage to your mainline risking a snap off? any help would be grand.

After reading many topics about how to start out and what people advise and like to fish themselves i have come the the conclusion that i want to keep things simple and use inline leads over all the other rigs, which in my mind would start to confuse me even more so.

you never *need* to use tubing. I very rarely do so and it doesn't stop me catching fish. Tubing has it's purposes - to camouflage line and help pin it down. Personally I find that using a sinking line and pulling a *few* inches of line off the spool when setting your rod lays the line flat enough on the bed to avoid spooking fish in the immediate vicinity of the hooklength. If fishing deeper water or at very close range then perhaps a little more slack. That is normally enough.

In short, the simpler you can keep your tackle, the less there is to go wrong. don't be seduced by racks of kit in tackle shops, much of it is not essential, and you can spend the money better on good quality hooks etc.

a simple sliding rig, with a hook-length of a lighter breaking strain than the mainline is simple, safe and effective. If/when this arrangement is insufficient for a particular problem, then maybe think about a solution, but trying to solve problems before they arise leads to over complex rigs, and if you are not completely certain that the solution is necessary, it is probably better to leave it.

The question is....

If im using an inline running lead do i have to use tubing or am i right in thinking that the sleave insert for the inline lead is enough? surely using a lead with no sleave or tubing could cause damage to your mainline risking a snap off? any help would be grand.

Don't want to confuse you further after reading so many posts but......

If I was going to go for a rig to use anywhere it would definately be the simple running rig described in this thread and linked to a few times. Inline leads give good hooking potential but I only use them on hard bottoms like clean gravel or sand. In light weed or silt an inline is more likely to drag the end of the hooklink into the silt, potentially leaving the rest of your hooklink sticking up off the bottom. If you use the running rig you are more likely to get good presentation as a pear lead will bury into the silt bottom first, hopefully leaving your hooklink flat along the bottom so the carp won't see it. :)

cheers for the advice fellas.

I realise i need to get down the water and have a chat with a few people too find out what the lake bed is like. ive had an quick look but there was no one to ask any questions.

My reason behind choosing the inline was that after reading lots of posts most people said they gave better bite indication. i havent even got started yet and im already parinoid about the carps ability to pick up and bait and eject it without the angler knowing, hence the reason for the best bite indication but i might be getting ahead of myself.

ill get down at the weekend and see if i can get some more info and go from there.

Bait wise i was wanting to start off with maize, tigers and hemp, with the odd worm thrown in for good measure. would that be a good starting point as im not clued up on boilies and having seen the selection, its just makes it all the more confusing. i did buy some strawberry flavoured ones when i went to woodlands but had little success on them which is why i want to fish something im used to from the coarse angling ive done before. sorry to go off topic here folks.

Hey Ross

-Best advice is to go to a high stocked water- with some smaller fish and just learn how the rigs work. Don't worry too much about 'getting done' at this stage and being paranoid about not getting good bite indication. Most anglers sit in the backs of their bivvys and attribute odd bleeps to the wind without even looking up from their magazines.

Sorry- a bit off topic. If you go to a runs water or match type lake such as drayton or earlswood and learn to sit on your rods - watch the water and just enjoy catching fish. Your knowledge of rigs will improve over time. One is pretty much as good as the other for 70% of the waters you will fish. Old, wily, pressured fish that have natural food at their disposal can get 'riggy' or at least we convince ourselves that they do after our 10th blank on the bounce. But I would avoid those waters like a plague for at least 5 years.

Just enjoy your angling and try and take a few seasons to learn your trade- most of all fish safe ie. Keep your rigs safe for the fish.

On the topic of bait- Boilies are there to make money out of anglers who don't know any better. If its taking you hours to get your rods in position and you are leaving them out for hours/ days at a time- use them by all means- stick with Nutrabaits, Richworth or mainline in flavours that have been around for 3 years+ and you won't go far wrong. If your rigs are getting tangled, or your casting isn't accurate, or you think you may have dropped into weed- take the opportunity to re-cast after half an hour or an hour. If you are doing this there is no reason why you cant use maize, maggot or worms (unless you are surrounded by nuisance fish- in which case stick to maize as its a bit more resilient). Having a rubbish boilie on will diminish your chances, rather than a single piece of artificial maize or some jolly green giant which will catch literally ANY freshwater fish that swims.

Seeing 'Named' anglers on tele dropping 3 kilos of boilies on each rod out everytime they fish- make anglers think that this the way forwards. Remember- you are there to catch them- not feed them. Most angling programs are there to sell you products- not to teach you how to fish.

go to moorlands fisheries website nice vid there of how to make a running rig.

can be worth trying one on bolt one on running, both with bog standard knotless knot rigs. you can see what works the instead of putting all your eggs in one basket.

edited to add

come on cobelyn dont tell the boy that piffle about Nutrabaits, Richworth or mainline over priced guff. good bait dont have to cost you much . if you pay more than £6 a killo you are paying to much for a decent food source bait.

hemp and corn is also very good bait for those on a budget.

im pretty much limited to one water as i live in the north east and carp waters are limited to about 3, one of which has so many rules and so many cameras watching you all the time that i dont feel comfortable being there, the second has many high risks of being held at knife point for your kit(sunderland aint that pretty a place) and the third is run by durham AC which is locked gates, nice sized lake and one i fell in love with straight off the bat.

Normally ive been fishing commercial match type waters and concentrating on fishing for the carp using corn, hemp tigers and chickpea with good results so im thinking that this would be a place to start. Moneys tight after getting set up with some rods and reels and the like so ill be starting off with corn etc. to keep costs down.

Im not expecting it to be easy but cant wait to have one in the net which will be some sign that im doing it correctly haha

Cheers once again and sorry for stealing the thread.

@Carpfisherlee. - I agree with your sentiment. There are other good baits out there. But where do you start when you are just beginning. There are 20 different companies each with 10 different varieties that all seem plausible. Every company calls their bait "tutti trifle fish splat" and all young anglers do is say"is this any good" on the forum and there will always be an angler who will say something good about any bait. Very confusing for the new angler.

There isn't a carp that swims that won't eat Nutrabaits Pineapple and banana boilies. Its been around for 10+ years and has caught a million carp. Not cheap I know - but if you want a bait that you can 'take anywhere' and know it will work- it ticks the boxes. I haven't used Richworth or mainline- but know by reputation and longevity that they are proven carp catchers. I'm just trying to make life easier for newcomers until they have dialed in the rest of their game.

The question is....

Don't want to confuse you further after reading so many posts but......

If I was going to go for a rig to use anywhere it would definately be the simple running rig described in this thread and linked to a few times. Inline leads give good hooking potential but I only use them on hard bottoms like clean gravel or sand. In light weed or silt an inline is more likely to drag the end of the hooklink into the silt, potentially leaving the rest of your hooklink sticking up off the bottom. If you use the running rig you are more likely to get good presentation as a pear lead will bury into the silt bottom first, hopefully leaving your hooklink flat along the bottom so the carp won't see it. :)

The thing with inline leads is that for Semi-fixed lead set-ups they offer the best hooking potential, however they don't work on all waters, and some carp have learnt how to deal with them :wink:

I definitely wouldn't use an inline lead over gravel, too much chance of the lead forcing the swivel into the gravel and risk damaging the hooklink and hooklink knot :wink:

I would however use an inline in weed as it is less likely to tangle than a pendant set up :wink:

A running inline lead is not likely to work as planned, it only takes a tiny bit of grit or weed to jam up the lead and prevent it running. Did you then have the fish on a running set up or on a semi-fixed set-up? :?

For running leads, I still resort to a large run ring stopped from hitting the hooklink swivel knot by a bead or tail rubber.

Mine or Gaz's links are all still valid I reckon :wink:

come on cobelyn dont tell the boy that piffle about Nutrabaits, Richworth or mainline over priced guff. good bait dont have to cost you much . if you pay more than £6 a killo you are paying to much for a decent food source bait.

I don't think that that is a fair comment to make. Nutrabaits, Richworth Mainline etc have been tested, and proved to have worked and caught fish, and as a (boilie) starting point is probably the best place to start.

Not everyone has access to the bait knowledge or companies who can knock out a good food source boilie at £6 a kilo.

Guest keenook

"I definitely wouldn't use an inline lead over gravel, too much chance of the lead forcing the swivel into the gravel and risk damaging the hooklink and hooklink knot" Hahahahaha! Post of the year so far................... :lol::lol::lol: