snowman rig

grahamha

Not necessarily, if you use the lightest leads you can get away with and depending on the depth of the weed a snow man wouldnt be far away. Always use foam too. As for pva bags and the like they actually dont make it sink deeper into weed etc, it descends slower through the water than it would a normal single hookbait. Hope that might help, if not, i personally would try a zig set at the depth to clear the weed

If you used a 4 ounce lead maybe lol, if you can get away with it try and use one ounce leads or even half ounce if itl get you the distance you need. Even if your bait did bury in the weed an inch or two it wouldnt matter in my mind, carp love eating in weed

Probably liners id have thought mate, if it was picking up your bait and blowing it out i doubt you`d get any indication because that wouldnt move the lead and to be honest i dont know if youve seen the underwater dvds but even when your lead moves your alarm doesnt always tell you. Running leads were the best bite indication just incase you dont use that. Plus fishing in and over weed its harder to keep your line pinned down if not impossible so liners are going to happen more. Thats just my thoughts anyway dont know if anyone else will post and either agree or not or might have another theory, hope it helps all the same

beza is right , you can't pin the line down in weed.Also how thick is the weed. you could always lead around looking for a clear patch, thats your best bet with the snowman rig.or you could fish just on the outside of the weed if you can, that way you will be able to pin the line down and present the bait correctly.If you are casting in to weed your bait will not always hit the bed and you get line hung up on the weed.You could try a heavier lead and a sold bag , that way the lead will hit thebed and not lay up in the weed and the bag will prevent tangles or hook ups in the weed. Its one of those situations we all suffer from when fishing in weed. just trial and error mate.

I wouldn't say the Snowman is a rig, more of a presentation.

You can adapt a number of rigs to become Snowman style, simply by using a longer than than you would for a single bait.

D-rig, Sliding/Revolving hair, or even basic knotless knotted can all be adapted to Snowman baits.

As for where to use it, anywhere you feel confident in its abilities and your approach :wink:

What distances are you fishing?

I'm fishing about 30 yards away.

The lake that I'm fishing is predominantly covered in weed so there aren't many clear patches to present my rig in. Would I be going about it rightly if I find any clear patches and cast out a pva bag with it? Or should I use a single hookbait?

Running leads were the best bite indication just incase you dont use that. Plus fishing in and over weed its harder to keep your line pinned down if not impossible so liners are going to happen more.

When using running leads is it best to use slack lines with a back lead? Also what sorta run do carp give when using running leads?