hair length

binfield

Instead of starting a new thread i thought i would hijack this thread :P i went fishing wednesday to friday i picked a swim on the water temperature, but it didn't go to plan so i waited for someone to move out of a swim and i moved in. he didnt catch but i knew i had a chance so moved in anyway. i was using straight through mainline, running lead, helicopter bead and then a combi rig of around 8 inches with fluoro first. i tied the braid kd style hair on a size 6 esp curvy as i was using corked bottom baits. the hair its self was around 2 inches which is pretty long for me. i werent there long and got a run but striked into nothing and half an hour later had another run and again striked into nothing. now i switched to a standard bottom bait which i had glugging, but forgot i had a kd style hair on. would this be the course of not hooking them? they were full one toners aswell. i dont want to change to much as two runs in a short space of time is really good. especially when the bloke before me was fishing the same spot and had nothing. cheers

Instead of starting a new thread i thought i would hijack this thread :P i went fishing wednesday to friday i picked a swim on the water temperature, but it didn't go to plan so i waited for someone to move out of a swim and i moved in. he didnt catch but i knew i had a chance so moved in anyway. i was using straight through mainline, running lead, helicopter bead and then a combi rig of around 8 inches with fluoro first. i tied the braid kd style hair on a size 6 esp curvy as i was using corked bottom baits. the hair its self was around 2 inches which is pretty long for me. i werent there long and got a run but striked into nothing and half an hour later had another run and again striked into nothing. now i switched to a standard bottom bait which i had glugging, but forgot i had a kd style hair on. would this be the course of not hooking them? they were full one toners aswell. i dont want to change to much as two runs in a short space of time is really good. especially when the bloke before me was fishing the same spot and had nothing. cheers

How did the bait come back? Crushed, whole or even none at all?

Then think about the length of the pharyngeal teeth from the lips to the back of the mouth. It could be that the bait went all the way back, but the hook didn't go into the lips. Bait was then crushed (and maybe removed), and the Hook just fell down as the hair was too long. Or it may be the opposite that the hair was too short and the fish were ejecting before the hook took hold.

In that case go play around with an extending hair cos a long hair of much above 4or5cms is a pain to cast without tangling. :wink::lol:

As Wilfster has said Line Trailers could be a possibility as well.

Don't automatically assume the latest heavily publicised KD rig is the answer to everything. It may be a case of go back to basics. The KD rig because of how the hair leaves the hook could be the problem.

In the link above there is a lovely pic of hair attachments to the hook :wink:

Compare that to how the hair leaves the hook with a KD rig, and then consider that the hook may actually end up turning totally the wrong way

Don't automatically assume the latest heavily publicised KD rig is the answer to everything. It may be a case of go back to basics. The KD rig because of how the hair leaves the hook could be the problem.

Indeed, more times than not a simple coated braid/mono hooklength tied to a good, sharp hook knotless knot style is as complicatied as your rigs need be.

Then think about the length of the pharyngeal teeth from the lips to the back of the mouth. It could be that the bait went all the way back, but the hook didn't go into the lips. Bait was then crushed (and maybe removed), and the Hook just fell down as the hair was too long. Or it may be the opposite that the hair was too short and the fish were ejecting before the hook took hold.

In that case go play around with an extending hair cos a long hair of much above 4or5cms is a pain to cast without tangling. :wink::lol:

Compare that to how the hair leaves the hook with a KD rig, and then consider that the hook may actually end up turning totally the wrong way

they were coming back whole. i have been thinking of tying the hair to the hook as i doubt hardly anyone does that anymore.

they were coming back whole. i have been thinking of tying the hair to the hook as i doubt hardly anyone does that anymore.

Indeed, more times than not a simple coated braid/mono hooklength tied to a good, sharp hook knotless knot style is as complicatied as your rigs need be.

Problem is often too much importance is placed on rigs instead of the whole package.

A rig can be made more effective by understanding feeding. A very effective rig can be made useless by not having the right feeding situation.

Rigs are not the "be all and end all", nor is bait, but the feeding situation and rig need to be taken in context together and understood for both to be at their most effective.