Recently converted........

fumanchu

Afternoon guys

I'm more of a reader than poster and as usual have been reading the forums on a daily basis. Haven't been carping yet this year - I know its a crime but after breaking my wrist in a snowboard accident at the start of the year Ive had to take things easy :cry:

Anyway, as Ill be able to fish in the next week or so I've been looking at my rigs and a LOT of my lead set ups consist of leaders of some sort, mainly leadcore!!! After hearing some of the arguments for and against leadcore on here Ive got to say I am now not going to use it again! To be honest when I think about it now, I really dont know why I felt the need to use a leader? Im not going to change any of my lead set ups but as I said - Mainline straight through now!

My main question is........how do people pin down their rigs from the lead to the rod. The obvious answer is backleads or flying back leads but if I can, I prefer to use a slack line. Its just that 3 foot or so behind the lead Im worried about wafting about?

Sorry for the waffle and thanks in advance

Stu :D

Afternoon guys

I'm more of a reader than poster and as usual have been reading the forums on a daily basis. Haven't been carping yet this year - I know its a crime but after breaking my wrist in a snowboard accident at the start of the year Ive had to take things easy :cry:

Anyway, as Ill be able to fish in the next week or so I've been looking at my rigs and a LOT of my lead set ups consist of leaders of some sort, mainly leadcore!!! After hearing some of the arguments for and against leadcore on here Ive got to say I am now not going to use it again! To be honest when I think about it now, I really dont know why I felt the need to use a leader? Im not going to change any of my lead set ups but as I said - Mainline straight through now!

My main question is........how do people pin down their rigs from the lead to the rod. The obvious answer is backleads or flying back leads but if I can, I prefer to use a slack line. Its just that 3 foot or so behind the lead Im worried about wafting about?

I use 2-3ft of the fox tungston tubing. Very heavy and supple enough to lay on the bottom. I fish that in conjunction with slack lines.

Afternoon guys

I have done no end of tests and there is nothing to beat simple heavy mono fished slack line style. None of the tubings or "heavy" leaders follow any but the smoothest of lake beds because they simply aren't heavy enough and are too stiff.

My question would have to be "why go to the trouble to find the best, least visible main line that you can buy and then thread it through a length of "hose-pipe" where it will be closest to where you want the fish to be. Exactly the same can be asked of any of the leaders. They are 3 or 4 times the diametre of your main line so will be much easier for the carp to spot.

My honest advice is to stick to simple running rigs with light leads and no tubing no leaders and no back leads of any kind. Just fish with the line slack and let everyone else pay silly prices for items of tackle that they don't need. Since I switched to the simple rigs my catch rate has quadrupled.

Hope that helps mate.

Keith

Afternoon guys

I have done no end of tests and there is nothing to beat simple heavy mono fished slack line style. None of the tubings or "heavy" leaders follow any but the smoothest of lake beds because they simply aren't heavy enough and are too stiff.

My question would have to be "why go to the trouble to find the best, least visible main line that you can buy and then thread it through a length of "hose-pipe" where it will be closest to where you want the fish to be. Exactly the same can be asked of any of the leaders. They are 3 or 4 times the diametre of your main line so will be much easier for the carp to spot.

My honest advice is to stick to simple running rigs with light leads and no tubing no leaders and no back leads of any kind. Just fish with the line slack and let everyone else pay silly prices for items of tackle that they don't need. Since I switched to the simple rigs my catch rate has quadrupled.

Hope that helps mate.

Keith

Thanks for the post Keith...I have been thinking of going tubing free. The only reason I have ALWAYS used tubing was for anti tangle (As i was told from the start), and protection for fish from the mainline, have you ever experienced lifting scales without tubing?

I have been wrapping my brains to try and get a 'free'er running rig', and this was something I thought of.

Cheers

Matt

Hope that helps mate.

Keith

Thats great advice matey! I think my carp fishing is going to change drastically this year! I know it sounds bad but I've always made my rigs on what looks good/neat to me.........and I reckon Im not the only one as well!!

One thing I never really use are running rigs, can anyone help on the best set up to use!?

Thanks again

Stu :)

Hi Sharpy and Fumanchu.

I have been fishing running rigs with no tubing or leaders now for quite a few years and they are quite simply superb. Use light (under 2 oz) leads and the hook holds are superb because the lead begins to move fairly early on and as it trundles across the lake bed it "vibrates" the hook home.

My entire set up is as follows

1. ESP stiff rigger on "D" rig or curve on combi rig ( but the braid part of the combi must be shorter than the hook shank length)

2. Soft Ghost hook link with figure eight loop.

3. Quick link to take hook link and boom slid onto hook link.

4. swivel to hold quick link.

5. ESP helicopter bead to protect main line knot.

6. Enterprise snag safe running ring with lead weight attached.

7. Main line to rod/reel.

As an addition if you are fishing over weed or soft silt you can extend the distance between the run ring and the lead by using about 12" of lead core spliced to the lead and with a loop to attach to the snag safe. This will keep your run ring above the weed or silt and allow you to still use 7" hook links for better bite indication.

It all works well for me and I set up one of our anglers with that set up last weekend and he has since landed several carp including two at 46.00 lb plus so the rig works for all sizes of fish.

Keith

Hi Sharpy and Fumanchu.

I have been fishing running rigs with no tubing or leaders now for quite a few years and they are quite simply superb. Use light (under 2 oz) leads and the hook holds are superb because the lead begins to move fairly early on and as it trundles across the lake bed it "vibrates" the hook home.

My entire set up is as follows

1. ESP stiff rigger on "D" rig or curve on combi rig ( but the braid part of the combi must be shorter than the hook shank length)

2. Soft Ghost hook link with figure eight loop.

3. Quick link to take hook link and boom slid onto hook link.

4. swivel to hold quick link.

5. ESP helicopter bead to protect main line knot.

6. Enterprise snag safe running ring with lead weight attached.

7. Main line to rod/reel.

As an addition if you are fishing over weed or soft silt you can extend the distance between the run ring and the lead by using about 12" of lead core spliced to the lead and with a loop to attach to the snag safe. This will keep your run ring above the weed or silt and allow you to still use 7" hook links for better bite indication.

It all works well for me and I set up one of our anglers with that set up last weekend and he has since landed several carp including two at 46.00 lb plus so the rig works for all sizes of fish.

Keith

Thanks for that Keith....I'm taking the plunge and removing the tubing! What can go wrong ehh? At least I won't have to pay out £5 for 2m, which is used for 3 rods...

Its in the rules I have to use tubing now :( Been using tubing since January and I hate it as its sticks out like a sore thumb compared to almost invisible mono.

2m is a fair amount for 3 rods Sharpy, I just put 12 inches of tubing on.

Well I was cutting it in 3...Using the tungston tubing as it acted like an anchor - which was why I wanted to use a little more than I would normally. As then with the hook bait, would hopefully be ~1m from any part of 'raised' line, giving a bigger, safer area for the fish to feed in...well that was the idea!

My set up is very similar to Keiths except i use the fox quick change swivels which negate to need to use the quick link. For some super free running leads i have made some using the carbide rings from catmaster tackle (Although fox do a similar set for marker work) this is attached to the lead by a short length of 6lb line which has been threaded through a small black polyball or piece of foam. The lead sits on the bottom always leaving the foam/carbide ring sitting above it for a mega smooth free running set up. A bit of hassle to make but i do a few at a time while sat infront of the box.

my worry is with a runnind led unless a rig tube is used will the swivel on the lead not wear away running up and down the line ?

No, cos the Run Ring has a link to the Lead;

Just imagine this pic with no tubing:

Running Lead Set-up using Tubing:

completerunning.gif

The tubing is normally only there to prevent tangles or occasionally to provide abrasion resistance and protect the mainline.

my worry is with a runnind led unless a rig tube is used will the swivel on the lead not wear away running up and down the line ?

Most definitely not.

There are thousands of fish every day caught on rigs with the lead eye or swivel running on the line without problem.

The reason for using a large run-ring is to stop weed and detritus from jamming up the running arrangement.

Hi Everyone.

I must say that although I agree with a lot that has been said I must add the following.

Not everyone will wish to use a running rig, lets face it there are a lot of different bolt style rigs used.

But the regardless of rigs the rules can be the same.

Most rigs used for carp fishing can be used without leaders or tubing.

When and if a leader is needed think very carefully about what you use and stay well clear of lead-core.

Frank

Hi Everyone.

I must say that although I agree with a lot that has been said I must add the following.

Not everyone will wish to use a running rig, lets face it there are a lot of different bolt style rigs used.

When and if a leader is needed think very carefully about what you use and stay well clear of lead-core.

Frank

I agree Frank, I think I will still continue to use my bolt rig set ups but I will definitely try running rigs from now on! And you know what its like, if the running rig starts to produce fish, then all 3 rods will soon be on them! Haha :)

Hi Everyone.

Frank

I agree Frank, I think I will still continue to use my bolt rig set ups but I will definitely try running rigs from now on! And you know what its like, if the running rig starts to produce fish, then all 3 rods will soon be on them! Haha :)

There's one massive difference with running rigs over bolt rigs.

You know when the fish has picked up the bait and don't have to wait for it to move the lead.

On top of that the lead does very little to hook the fish. Another myth.