Running rigs: what hooklength?

cribby21lb4oz

When using running rigs what hooklength would be more suitable?

If i was to use braid i would use 6" of sufix heavy skin, esp raptor size 7 and shrink tube.

If i was to use mono i would use 8" of it and a esp stiff rigger with a braid hair.

In your opinion what offers the best hooking potential? I think that the stiff mono combined with a running rig means hardly any chance for the hook to turn.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks

I would say mines a running rig, once the carp takes the bait :wink: , as the quick change link comes out of the safety clip, and on a snag the weakest point is the knot to the quick change link so everthing falls safely away, the carp is left with just a short hooklink which it can get rid of itself in most cases.

I would say mines a running rig, once the carp takes the bait :wink: , as the quick change link comes out of the safety clip, and on a snag the weakest point is the knot to the quick change link so everthing falls safely away, the carp is left with just a short hooklink which it can get rid of itself in most cases.

Pardon?

Pardon?

LMAO :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry fella but I wouldn't regard that as a particularly safe rig. The bore of the safety clip and even more especially the tail rubber would make it very likely to snag on the slightest of tangles (possibly a snap off during casting) or knotted piece of line (maybe wound round a small stick after being cut off on the lake bed). Personally I would much prefer to use a large eye swivel or runn ring in order to allow everything to "run" properly.

The lead clip was designed simply to drop the lead and to do that it MUST be permanently fixed to the hook link swivel.

Sorry fella but I wouldn't regard that as a particularly safe rig. The bore of the safety clip and even more especially the tail rubber would make it very likely to snag on the slightest of tangles (possibly a snap off during casting) or knotted piece of line (maybe wound round a small stick after being cut off on the lake bed). Personally I would much prefer to use a large eye swivel or runn ring in order to allow everything to "run" properly.

The lead clip was designed simply to drop the lead and to do that it MUST be permanently fixed to the hook link swivel.

Agree totally Keith, it isnt possible to use a leadclip properly in a proper running lead rig.

Agree totally Keith, it isnt possible to use a leadclip properly in a proper running lead rig.

Hi Jezz

You should try running a fishery mate. I have had proud anglers show me how they have used a smaller than normal swivel so that the lead-clip and tubing can all slide up the line. They are convinced that this will make the rig much safer............even if they have fed a length of leader through the tubing in the first place. I despair mate.

Keith

The worst rig i've ever seen was posted by Kim and Iain at rushes. Leadcore, knots, swivels both ends, leadclip running up and down the line etc.

I have one on our "wall of shame" which we took out of a mid thirty common which is now called "the pipe smoker" because of its mouth shape. The rig is a "chod" of 4' ish and instead of beads to hold the hook link in place it has two knots tied in it. :evil:

I've been using ESP ghost with stiff riggers tied to a "D" rig for at least 6 years and have found it to be the most efficient hooking rig (even for bottom baits) that I have ever used. For some reason especially for the bigger fish.

Kieth I have used the same set up effectively,however I have noticed that it does not work everywhere.

I have found the makeup of the bottom has a direct effect on how carp feed, this has a direct effect on how hooking rigs work,likewise the size of the fish has an effect as you already said.

A good example is my brother who went to France on holiday.

Whilst there he was shown the aggresive hair tied in floro, it worked brilliently,yet everywhere else he trys it it results in dropped runs.

Your thoughts?

I could not agree more, if only more people would realise this the carp would be better of.

Its surprising how common that is- a swivel above the lead, Ive seen 4 new members at our syndicate in the last 5-6 months using nion the same rigs :roll: me and a bailiff (a mate) spend an hour explaining the concept of dead fish rigs to one particular chap who we saw using a similar rig and tbh i still don't think he understood, probably just thort we were being nosy and that we knew best :roll: This chap had some expensive tackle too (Eos rs, diawa bigpits etc) :wink:

Do any of you remember the picture of that helicopter rig from the screaming delkims site??? it was horrendous, not a dead fish rig as such but there was that much that could go wrong with it to make it a dead fish rig, it was truly unbelievable :shock: - must have had 20 different beads on it.

i still don't think he understood, probably just thort we were being nosy and that we knew best :roll:.

Obviously you did, and if i thought that he didnt understand the concept i would of spent another hour with him, if he still didnt get it them maybe he's just not cut out for the fishing business and would of told him :wink:

Yeh i know what you mean Bri, He took the swivel off the top of the rig while we we talking to him but i don't think he quite understood why he needed to??? The bailiff was content tho but if he sees him doing it again he will probably do more about it, if i see him again and hes still using "death rigs" ill try and have another chat with him and see how it goes, If I'm not happy with it ill call Dean (the bailiff) and tell him hes back again using the same rigs again and hell come down and have another chat :wink: He is one of the more tolerant bailiffs on the society tbf

• 3 weeks later...
Quite possibly the stupidest rig ever:

27-08-08-001_edited-1%20%28Large%29.jpg

This rig was found trailing from a fishes mouth, the lake is a barbless only venue and the rules clearly state "No Fixed Leads", but wether they state this or not, this rig is totally unacceptable

That looks very similar to a rig I tied up a few years back while doing a bit of summer work at a fishery to hang up in the cabin as an example of a something you would get banned for using.

The amount of readily available information should be enough to discourage things like this; but really, you would of thought it's simple common sense.