Mushroom Rig

salokcinnodrog

• 4 weeks later...
Finally worked out where I had seen the original idea that I had been working on, although I think that my idea is slightly different to the current latest wonder rig in the mags.

Which mag was it in?

Ask me another, I don't read 'em! :P

How do you know it's "in the mag's" then ? :?:D

Read my post very carefully :wink: , it doesn't say I read it in the mags, it says I know where I first saw it, then that there is "a latest wonder rig" in the mags.

The fact that I know about the rig has been in the mags could come from any source :wink::lol::lol:

i take it the rig does'nt work then? :oops: must be bad if you wont post it. :roll:

Some people don't publicize what they find a successful tactick as it could loose its effectiveness...or maybe he is still fiddling with it to make it as efficient as possible.

Either way, I'm sure he wouldn't want to share it with you now, and I hope you don't talk to everyone in the way that post came across

i take it the rig does'nt work then? :oops: must be bad if you wont post it. :roll:

Shows that you can't be bothered to read a thread all the way through doesn't it :roll:

I do know that the first fish I hooked on the rig was landed, and hooked very squarely centre of the bottom lip. Shows that my thinking may well be right on what I'm trying to achieve.

As Bunn has said maybe I need time to perfect it, or more time on the bank as I've spent more time at work so haven't had time to be fishing.

Bunn,

Don't worry mate, Kingfisher has been banned a number of times for his comments and insults in the past, under various names, so I will be looking out for him in whatever guise he decides to try next time :twisted:

• 1 month later...

The closest I have seen is the 1up 1down rig that was published in Rob Maylin's Carp years ago (but the Bent hook rig version is a NO NO!), and recently publsihed in the mags.

The reason I came up with the "Mushroom Rig" title is that I was using a Neutral half a pop-up on the top ring, although thinking about it, I could just as easily use a shank tied hair and a piece of tubing on the bend to lift the hook.

The main hair comes from a standard knotless knot and a double bait , although a single would work just as well, but I was juggling the fishing situation to sort out a particular fish.

It is a pain to cast any distance, and you definitely need pva and foam nuggets to prevent tangles, or putting the bait in by hand, which being as I was fishing in water of about 60cms deep wasn't a problem.

Being as it already exists I can't claim any new credit for it, although my using Leadcore as a counterweight on something else I will do :wink::twisted::D

Oh and my Long Range Breakaway Impact rig :wink: , tangle free for extreme distance

• 4 weeks later...
As i understand you want to fish a bottom bait with the hook off the bottom, if so you can use pop up foam inserts cut down on the hook just to lift the hook above the bait. Ive used this rig to some success when the carp have been just mouthing baits.

Hi totaly unrelated to your post,but do you reside in borrowash?

As i understand you want to fish a bottom bait with the hook off the bottom, if so you can use pop up foam inserts cut down on the hook just to lift the hook above the bait. Ive used this rig to some success when the carp have been just mouthing baits.

I used what I had to hand when I first had the problem. Digging around my tackle box at night is a bit difficult, and I was so close to the fish that any banging would have spooked them.

The pop-up half was to lift the hookpoint clear of the weed, and the bottom bait was that they were comfortable eating. It may also have had a totally unintended additional effect, that could be useful in that it put an extra bait there. "The bait at the back is safe as the hookbait is buoyant" sort of thing.

I think that many of the Carp have been landed so often on pop-ups they avoid them on purpose :wink: