Lost fish - please help

faze_81

i ve been fishing quite a large lake with little fish, using the following rig

korda wide gape size 8

the korda hooklink about 10 inches

about a 3mm gap between the bottom of the hook and the bait (16mm)

2.5 once inline with leadcore leader

shrink tube over the eye creating a slight inturn

using this i never really missed any of the runs but over weekend i fished a smaller water with some smaller fish. Overall i had 13 runs only landing 6. when striking all of the runs they were all actual hooked but fell off before managing to net them.

does anyone know what is causing this and do i need to make any changes to my set up??

First thing i'd try is a longer hair. A longer hair will allow the bait to be taken in further befor the hook is felt. My way of thinking is that this will take more effort for the Carp to blow the bait, giving the hook more time to find a hold.

Whatever the reason, i find it works for me :wink:

i would have another go, if it happens again, i would start making subtle changes, a running lead, or changing the length of the hooklength. one off sessions like this happen, dont be in a hurry to chop and change, just accept that things like this sometimes happen! :)

:roll:

If on the day I was having this happening I would be changing the hair length or rig length.

Fish falling off usually indicates that the hook isn't going in far enough, so I would lengthen the hair and/or rig length.

However if you are doing what everyone else does and Fishing with a PVA Bag then it may be that this is what is causing the Carp to be very wary about picking up the hookbait. So it may pay to put more bait down, with a spod, catapult etc. It may even be that the Carp are wary of that particular bait!

No easy answers, you will have to adapt and see accordingly.

First thing i'd try is a longer hair. A longer hair will allow the bait to be taken in further befor the hook is felt. My way of thinking is that this will take more effort for the Carp to blow the bait, giving the hook more time to find a hold.

your a lot more experianced with hare's than me stoog,iwould naturally shorten the hair thinking its catching on the outside of the mouth maybe thats why you never fail and i lose fish my furry friend ,whats the longest you would make the hair?

your a lot more experianced with hare's than me stoog,iwould naturally shorten the hair thinking its catching on the outside of the mouth maybe thats why you never fail and i lose fish my furry friend ,whats the longest you would make the hair?

In the original post, Faze 81 says that he uses a 3mm gap. You'd shorten that? Once the bait has been in the water it will swell slightly & may impede the hook.

If i'm using an 18mm boilie, i'll start at a gap of about the same size & go from there.

Never been a fan of hares though. Too chewy :wink: