Hair rigs

mindgame

you have stated that you are new to this game and that all these hooklinks and whatnot are confusing? am i right? if thats the case, forget about all braids and fluros and stuff, justuse simple mono hooklinks made out of your mainline, thats what i did for years, concentrate on learning your trade, get a few carp under your belt and as your knowledge and confidence grows, you will feel the time to move on to more complex rigs and materials. i've been carping nearly 14yrs, and i still revert to simple mono hooklinks these days, what with all these braided hooklinks, you will probably be the only one on mono hooklinks and thats and edge! i have braids and fluros and stiffys in my tacklebox, but i use them when its necessary, not because its fashionable. i've caught more 20s on simple mono rigs and simple running lead systems than on complex braids and lead systems. take your time, learn the game most of all, enjoy it! get a decent quality bait you have confidence in, work on your location and get to know your lake and where best to place your bait, fish properly for the conditions and if the carp wants, he'll have it! we make this carping game more difficult than it needs to be most of the time! :wink::)

:roll:

make your mainline 15lb its safer, not neccersary but it would be easier, if your are going to use a braid hooklink use a silk braid such as kryston silkwormbecuase it is much niver to the fish also when you figure out how long ten metres will last you it is worth it.

Ah that was my question is it better to use braid or monofilament? or is it personal preference?

well there are positives and negatives to both of them from what i remember they are :

braid: moves around more naturally and will go into the fishes mouth easier, but is more prone to tangling

mono: less prone to tangling but moves around inthe water less natural and i think is slightly harder for the fish to pick up unless it some in at the right angle

i may not be 100% right with those points but i think the stuff ive said about the braid is correct

Or you could get the best of both :wink:

well there are positives and negatives to both of them from what i remember they are :

braid: moves around more naturally and will go into the fishes mouth easier, but is more prone to tangling

mono: less prone to tangling but moves around inthe water less natural and i think is slightly harder for the fish to pick up unless it some in at the right angle

i may not be 100% right with those points but i think the stuff ive said about the braid is correct

i agree with you sam but i dont ahve problems with tangling unless i do something stupid, but i do use anti tangle stuff on my rigs anyway so maybe thats why.

also you dont need to use a different amterial for your rigs, when i first started carp fisahing i was using a yellow 15lb mainline for my rigs and it worked fine banking me a 26lb mirror, mono has proberly cuaght half of my carp.

Also when it comes down to choosing your hooklink its more down to personal preferance than what other people say, by all means use the infomation we give you on the forum but remember its about what will suit your style of fishiing.

• 2 weeks later...
you have stated that you are new to this game and that all these hooklinks and whatnot are confusing? am i right? if thats the case, forget about all braids and fluros and stuff, justuse simple mono hooklinks made out of your mainline, thats what i did for years, concentrate on learning your trade, get a few carp under your belt and as your knowledge and confidence grows, you will feel the time to move on to more complex rigs and materials. i've been carping nearly 14yrs, and i still revert to simple mono hooklinks these days, what with all these braided hooklinks, you will probably be the only one on mono hooklinks and thats and edge! i have braids and fluros and stiffys in my tacklebox, but i use them when its necessary, not because its fashionable. i've caught more 20s on simple mono rigs and simple running lead systems than on complex braids and lead systems. take your time, learn the game most of all, enjoy it! get a decent quality bait you have confidence in, work on your location and get to know your lake and where best to place your bait, fish properly for the conditions and if the carp wants, he'll have it! we make this carping game more difficult than it needs to be most of the time! :wink::)

:roll:

Good advice... like don't run till ya can walk etc.... but it can still be a good tip even after a good few years carp fishing, and if it proves sucessful then why change it... good luck mate

I have deicided that i will buy pre-made for some time to perfect my rig making as they are not great!!! and i will just use mono in future i found braid hard to tie knots with so hopefully my daiwa sensor brown line i just ordered will do the job for now.Cheers.

That may work out more expensive!

With Ready Made (shop bought) rigs you can not change the things that you may need to to put fish on the bank. Learn to tie your own as quickly as possible :!:

The things you need to change are usually the rig length or the hair length. You may be able to shorten a shop bought/ready made rig rig, but you sure as heck can't lengthen it. If you are losing fish to hookpulls or hooking them in the extremity of the lip, then you will likely need to lengthen a rig or hair.

I find braid actually easier to tie knots with because it is more supple, and I haven't changed how I tie my rigs in over 16years.

I have deicided that i will buy pre-made for some time to perfect my rig making as they are not great!!! and i will just use mono in future i found braid hard to tie knots with so hopefully my daiwa sensor brown line i just ordered will do the job for now.Cheers.

That may work out more expensive!

With Ready Made (shop bought) rigs you can not change the things that you may need to to put fish on the bank. Learn to tie your own as quickly as possible :!:

The things you need to change are usually the rig length or the hair length. You may be able to shorten a shop bought/ready made rig rig, but you sure as heck can't lengthen it. If you are losing fish to hookpulls or hooking them in the extremity of the lip, then you will likely need to lengthen a rig or hair.

I find braid actually easier to tie knots with because it is more supple, and I haven't changed how I tie my rigs in over 16years.

its like we keep saying practice Sal did and 16 years is a long time , theres no success without effort here :wink: