what mainline?

1slipperyfish

what mainline do you use when carping using bolt rigs etc, in all the fishing mags etc i have collected over the months it shows which rigs and hooklengths etc, but never mentions mainline.

i am having a go at using the method at the weekend (i'm normally a float man) and my strongest line is 12lb, will this be strong enough?

thanks

I use the same as Adam, Daiwa Sensor in 15lb.

Reliable, Abrasion and Sheer Resistant, and Budget Priced (cheap). Still check it and change it regularly.

Method fishing 12lb should be ok, don't blast as hard as you can, cast to a comfortable sensible distance. Worry about your rods more, a Method Feeder can weigh up to 5-6ozs with a loaded Method feeder on it

Daiwa Sensor Monofilament, in the Natural Brown colour. Don't think Clear is quite the same mono, although I could be wrong. The Brown/green finish on the original is camouflaged anyway when its in the water. The water I fish is Dead Clear, and I couldn't see it against the bottom from 30cms away while I was standing in the water.

As for spool size, to fill a Reel or 2 you should be buying Bulk Spools anyway.

Don't get into Braid vs Mono, there is a vast difference between the 2.

Adam, have a look at the Line Diameters of various 15lb Lines.

I can tell you that Sensor is 0.355mm, most others are 0.38-0.40mm, which actually means they are 18-20lb Mono.

London_geeza and I got quite into this on another Thread.

what about fox warrior 15lb mono? i have seen this everywhere for about the same price, has anyone used it? i used dam 12lb mono but went to my local fishing shops today and they didn't have any diawa sensor

Have a look at the diameter of the Lines compared to their Breaking Strain. That should give you some idea of their quality and Integrity.

I won't change lines just for the sake of trying a new product until I have thoroughly tested and compared it to other items I use. If its better quality I'll change.

Most Daiwa Stockists will have Sensor Line, if they haven't, then a decent Tackle shop will get it in for you. Sensor Bulk Spools come in 6or8pack Boxes, so won't be on the shelf for too long.

diawa sensor in brown i am using it on one reel and clear on the other and i think the clear isnt as good as brown so i will be switching back to brown on both when i get around to it the clear seems to stand out in the waters i fish

for value for money and quality sensor is the best

has anyone used soft steel camo

x line for me, no memory so it straightens well, sinks like a brick and looks good under water....if you can c it.

no problems with it at all, usd to use the sensor, no specific reason for changing, just got new reels though so thought would try x line as my mates have been doing well on it and recommended it.

• 2 weeks later...

Been using some 'berkley trilene carp' line for a while now had no probs very low diam for bs as well (0.31 for 15.5lb) casts well too, doesn't kink too badly, costs £14.99. Although the only place i have ever seen it is in WMAC in Darlaston

Guest Anonymous

fox warrior`s line is good comes in green and clear, got some new stuff the other day though green still but its got the tackle dealers picture on the spool, must be good though he was fishing for england at the weekend or uk and he came second.

carn`t go wrong with sensor though:)

• 2 weeks later...

does nay one use ESP line? ive used it for ages and carnt fault it really. but when ur loading ur reel which way shud u pull the line of the spool? as in with a stick in the hole and just reel in so it pulles it self round, or face the spool towards u face on and wind it on ur reel like that, i had a bit of twist doing it with the stick through the hole, is the face on method any better at keeping twist out?

does nay one use ESP line? ive used it for ages and carnt fault it really. but when ur loading ur reel which way shud u pull the line of the spool? as in with a stick in the hole and just reel in so it pulles it self round, or face the spool towards u face on and wind it on ur reel like that, i had a bit of twist doing it with the stick through the hole, is the face on method any better at keeping twist out?

when i'm filling my spools i put the spool in a bath of water, that eliminates most line twist