Cuttle Mill

fished last year and then again this year, LONG POOL truthfully i was not happy with the state of the carp i caught not in size but heath , that was last year , previously i used to fish it when u had to run for a peg , well i took my son last year and we caught a few carp from top of the pool in the bay , but said carp had cotton fungi and big sores on their bodies , did not want to get them out of net, cheek of it they ask u 2 dip nets on way in , any way left it a year and went back 2 months ago thinking its would be sorted as they have close season , but caught carp and roach with same problem and also the roach started bleeding every where when it came out of water , something is not right , and you can see that from punters on the bank , so anyone know different ?

• 3 weeks later...

I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit to Cuttle Mill long. I do feel I have to reply to your comments.

Cuttle Mill takes fish care and fish health very seriously and can report we have nothing wrong with any of our species in either lake. You have not brought this to my attention whilst you were here, I would have remebered!

Fish catches have been very good this year and I'm sorry to the young lad who did not catch many, but sometimes thats fishing. I would say that this year we have had 5 spawnings with the weather this year and this can take it toll on how the fish appear around this time of year. Its natural. On occasion someone will mention if they catch a poorly fish, I then monitor any catches to see if something needs adressing. I would ask people t be carfull when making these posts as they can be damaging as I do not feel it is reflective of the quality of the fishing.

I will not be entering into responses, as I do not feel it would be beneficial.

Ian Higgins

Cuttle Mill Fishery

I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit to Cuttle Mill long. I do feel I have to reply to your comments.

Cuttle Mill takes fish care and fish health very seriously and can report we have nothing wrong with any of our species in either lake. You have not brought this to my attention whilst you were here, I would have remebered!

Fish catches have been very good this year and I'm sorry to the young lad who did not catch many, but sometimes thats fishing. I would say that this year we have had 5 spawnings with the weather this year and this can take it toll on how the fish appear around this time of year. Its natural. On occasion someone will mention if they catch a poorly fish, I then monitor any catches to see if something needs adressing. I would ask people t be carfull when making these posts as they can be damaging as I do not feel it is reflective of the quality of the fishing.

I will not be entering into responses, as I do not feel it would be beneficial.

Ian Higgins

Cuttle Mill Fishery

you can ask people

't be carfull when making these posts as they can be damaging as I do not feel it is reflective of the quality of the fishing.'

BUT... they are entitled to express their experiences based on fact

Bill

Guys

I totally agree with Ian, the fish in some of the lakes i have seen this year including my own have had a hard run this year, and even to the point of death, lots of named fish have come to harm this year too.

There is nothing a owner can do to prevent this, all they hope is the spawning will bring off a new era of carp, to replace the ones lost.

With all the problems everyone is having with the credit crunch, and i would expect places like Cuttle Mill are just keeping there heads above water at the moment, we are all allowed to have a opinion, that's what this forum is all about, but to knock one place as Ian say's "Can be Damaging to business", and we certainly don't want to lose fisheries like Cuttle Mill.

Guys

I totally agree with Ian, the fish in some of the lakes i have seen this year including my own have had a hard run this year, and even to the point of death, lots of named fish have come to harm this year too.

There is nothing a owner can do to prevent this, all they hope is the spawning will bring off a new era of carp, to replace the ones lost.

With all the problems everyone is having with the credit crunch, and i would expect places like Cuttle Mill are just keeping there heads above water at the moment, we are all allowed to have a opinion, that's what this forum is all about, but to knock one place as Ian say's "Can be Damaging to business", and we certainly don't want to lose fisheries like Cuttle Mill.

Makins to the best of our knowledge with 18 lakes and no scabby fish has been sold off , Commercial fisheries generally have silly stocking levels ,no or low predator levels ,stupid rules like no surface fishing, fish harming rules like barbless hooks maybe if some of them go to the wall the customer will get a better deal they have had it too good too easy for too long.

I love Cuttle Mill and ive never even caught from there either in about 3 visits but like Ian says, thats fishing. Its a very well run fishery and a beautiful place to spend the day. I know a lot of people moan about the drawing of swims but the Mill can get very busy and this drawing of swims ensures everyone has a chance to get into the favoured pegs..... as long as you get to the gate early enough. Ive met a few of the regular anglers and they all seem a top bunch, very friendly and helpful and the all day breakfast from the cafe is just to die for.

I would definately recommend it :D

I used to fish Cuttle Mill about 18 years ago, problem is that it removes one of the most important skills in Carp Fishing. Swim selection/Watercraft.

Thats why I wouldnt fish there again. Its a nice fishery though, people know what they're getting and if people are happy with that then thats good.

Bill

Guys

Makins to the best of our knowledge with 18 lakes and no scabby fish has been sold off , Commercial fisheries generally have silly stocking levels ,no or low predator levels ,stupid rules like no surface fishing, fish harming rules like barbless hooks maybe if some of them go to the wall the customer will get a better deal they have had it too good too easy for too long.

Makins puddles in the ground lol. You wont get a nicer looking lakes than cuttle mill round here.

i said that the fish that myfriends and myself caught , had sores and fungi , and i apologise as i now this is damaging to a business , but why should i not inform other anglers on the condition of the fish as i payed good money i earnt to fish it , i wouldnt purchase a sandwich if it was mouldy , and if i run a fishery i would check the condition myself or at least walk the lake , i can only speak about the long pool as i havent fished the main carp lake , but i still feel that the pool is not as it used to be the place was a fishing mecca , now you have been enlightend with some facts on your fish i hope steps are taken to rectify this for the fishes sake and your business allthe best i hope to take my youngest son there when the time is right , daz

You cannot compare a product you buy as new from a shop, to catching old Carp in a lake, nor is a forum a place to raise the issue of poor quality of fish.

If a owner / baliff is not willing to take a note of your comments verbally, then put pen to paper and keep it in house until a satisfatory outcome is reach, don't just broadcast it worldwide.

Anti fishing / hunting protesters jump at the chance for ammo to support their cause against fishing, don't help them on the way.

Another question to ask, are we slightly to blame for fish quality !!!!

Do we completely disinfect all our tackle, before fishing another venue !!!!

Hey,

Fished it before and would again, Loved the place. As for taking the skill out of Carp fishing Aka Watercraft and location, If there was no draw for the pegs you still would not be able to find the fish and get onto them as there would be folks in them 24/7:)

slacker

NASH GADGTEER

u obviously now the owners and get your fishing free, isnt this sit about freedom of speech ,and free views , if i did a building job and it was cack then i recieved bad comeback its down to me and i would get less work , it i owned a fishery and the fish are looking unhealthy and i have been given hints but turn a blind eye , thats suicide for a business , i and other members come on this site to express or experiences at different pools on bait and methods also on state of fish, if you ask us to keep hush about the truth then it shows there something wrong or your tongue is tooo far up .

No i don't know the owner and have never fished it before, the reason i posted is because of the damage people can do by not engaging brain before typing.

I fish alot of different venue's up and down the country, and yes i have fished bad and good waters, but if i have a remark about the fishery then i approach the owner / bailiff's and let them know, if they don't listen write to them, if that still doesn't work, then contact the Enviroment Agency and they we send somebody out to have a look.

There is owners out there that are after a quick buck, but Cuttle Mill's owners is not one of them.

Please keep to the rules of this forum a don't put people or places etc down it can do untold damage.

Now seems like a good time to remind members that posts bordering on character assasination are not allowed.

We all have gripes at fisheries & their owners from time to time, but as already mentioned, there are acceptable & respectful ways to deal with them. Write a letter, (keep a copy) & send it recorded delivery. Express your concerns in a polite manner & if possible, outline possible improvements. Don't make the first line, "Oi pal! Your lake's (insert a four letter word of your choice) This will not improve the fishing for anyone.

Ask for a response. After that, if you still believe that a lake in question is not meeting a reasonable standard then you have every right to contact the EA. Let them deal with it, that's what they're payed for :wink:

Opinions are welcomed on this forum. Insults & allegations are not.

Lets all just try to get along :wink: