False pick ups

videomanjunior

Hi there, was fishing my local day ticket for a 24 hr session with tiger nuts and all i got was what i believe to be the fish picking the bait up then dropping it, i was fishing a lead clip set up with leadcore and a 4-5 inch braided hooklink ( nash armorbraid ).

Can anyone suggest ways in which i can turn there takes into runs?????????

Try much heavier leads or really light ones.

Get some blobs of putty on the hooklink it helps the hook turn.

Why not try a 'Triger Link' combi - that'll give them something dificult to deal with.

What we dont know from your post is whether they are wise old fish getting away with it - or whether they could have been liners??

Use a piece of silicon on the hook shank - if they are getting away with it (blowing the bait) the silicon will be pushed to the hook eye when you retrieve. Then you will know for sure and can formulate an alternative attack. :wink:

I couldn't just put it down to 'one of those things' you have to adapt to win the battle. If something picks up my bait I want the fish on the bank - end of :wink:

a small stick of powder with the hook buried in can stop the masking and help against tangles on the way down, plus give you some extra attractor if you need it.

I agree with kev about the putty, i tend to always use a decent blob or a split shot, even with a bottom bait and have noticed a lot more full takes rather than odd bleeps and tugs I used to get - which I did put down to blow outs. You just have to take it off everytime you put a new stick on. A ring on the shank can help hammer it home when the fish blows aswell, but the hook has to be turned and in a good position for it to work well, so Id personally still use the putty/shot.

nothing is going to be 100%, theyr'e still going to get away with it in some pick ups, but youve got to respect the crafty devils for it :lol:

Thanks lads, yeah they are crafty fish.

Next time ill try a few of these things.

Im pretty sure they aint liners cos the alarm doesn't just beep once or twice, the bobbin goes up about 2 inches then goes back down to its original position.

That's almost certainly a liner :wink:

Very often if the bait has been picked up then dropped, your bobbin will be in a different position because the lead will have moved.

Thanks for that stoogi, I never really could differenciate (spelling) between the two and was a bit of guess work lol but now I can :D lol