pop ups !

kevman

I know there`s probably not an answer to this question so i`ll be happy with some advice , im planning on fishing a lake at the weekend where hi viz pop ups seem to work very well , i was wondering how far off the bottom you would recommend poping up the boillie , the area i plan on fishing is near an island that is crammed with trees so theres obviously a lot of leaves on the bottom i know this because when you retrieve you rig theres always a few leaves on the hook, also i`ve never really used pop ups before so any tips on attaching them would be good , i have bought some rig rings is this the best way are there any threads on the forum with diagrams or photos of pop up rigs , that would be most helpful

thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!

Well i dont use popups often my self but i recomend zig rigging the popup and putting a bit of solar rif foam(think that is whwat it is called) to stop the hook hitting the leaves at all, by the time the foam ahs dissolved the pop up should be floating anyway, or maybe use a cork ball left to soak in some sort of attractant for a long time, its what i favour.

What i would like to know is what is a snowman rig/bait i heard it is something to do with popups.

I've moved this into the Rig Tying section.

Difficult to say how high you want the bait, you'll have to play around and find out what works for you.

I prefer to keep the pop-up as close to the Lakebed as possible, but know at times I need to play around and alter the distance from the Lake bed.

If I'm using a Food Source Pop-up then it is normally mounted on a standard rig, the same as my bottom baits, or a D-rig, with a power gum stop knot mounted on the hooklink to mould putty around.

For Hi-Attract Pop-ups I normally go to something totally different. A length of Amnesia from Mainline swivel (size 8 ) to mini swivel (size 10 or 12) about 15centimetres long. Then from the mini swivel a length of braid to height you want it popped up. To counter balance I use putty over the mini swivel.

It is then easy enough to change the "mini hooklink" rather than the whole rig.

I nearly always tie my Pop-ups on to the hook or rig ring, I don't like piercing the bait as I believe it can affect the buoyancy over a period of time. So to do that with a Standard rig I create that loop at the end with a Uni Knot, and then make the rig up with Knotless knot as standard.

For the D-rig presentation I put the hook on with a knotless knot, and then with the tag (that would usually be the hair) I put the rig ring on, put the tag end back through the eye, and then blob with a cigarette lighter.

Get a 20cm length of mono, about 4lb, and tie a Uni or Grinner knot LOOP at the end, and put a pop-up into the loop, then pull down tight. With the other end tie the bait onto the rig ring, with minimal clearance. Leave yourself enough slack so that you can change your bait!

I've put the link to the Rig Tying Sticky as you can actually see what I mean.

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22185

This thread may also be interesting

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32655&highlight=popups

Thanks again for your replys very informative as usual,you say in your reply you use both a standard hair rig and a D rig for pop ups the reason being i`m having a little trouble with the d rig , but a standard hair rig i`m ok with, what situation does a Drig out perform a standard hair rig? also i only plan to pop up the bait up an inch or two because i would imagine dead leaves are not that deep!!!!!

Thanks again for your replys very informative as usual,you say in your reply you use both a standard hair rig and a D rig for pop ups the reason being i`m having a little trouble with the d rig , but a standard hair rig i`m ok with, what situation does a Drig out perform a standard hair rig? also i only plan to pop up the bait up an inch or two because i would imagine dead leaves are not that deep!!!!!

I'm not totally sure that the D-rig "outperforms" the standard hair rig, it just seems that I'm more comfortable fishing pop-ups that way. Stupid I know :?:roll: .

I say don't over-complicate the issue, then I use a rig that is more difficult to tie than standard.

The standard hair rig is I suppose more instant to tie, but with the D-rig I can alter the length of the hair from ring to bait should I need to, just by tying on a new piece of nylon for the bait.

The other thing with a D-rig is that should the bait be blown out then it may be that the Carp feels that it has gotten rid of the problem, yet with a standard hair, if the bait is blown out the hook may also get blown out. I don't think that unless the Carp are heavily fished for that you will need to go onto that route. The D-rig is a step forward I guess(?)

The problem that i can see with d-rigs and hair rigs in general, especially if they are tied with stiff rig or coated braid is that the direction in which the fish approaches the bait can dramatically affect the performance of the rig- this is why the 360 rig was thought up but even that has its floors. just something to think about

If you are going to fish a pop-up tight to an island however, i would recommend using mono or soft fluoro and tying a 4-6 inch hook link straight to a ring swivel from the lead- d-rig style so there is a bit of anti- ejection .

as you lead sinks into the debris around the island- especially from in line leads- it will pull the hook link into it and then a 6inch pop-up becomes possibly 2 inches. you get a really good instant bolt effect and then the characteristics of the rest of you lead set up come into play- a rig that starts as a bolt rig and remains the same may however cost you fish as a lot of waters are fished the same and carp manage to find a way of getting rid of the rig buy using the momentum of the semi-fixed lead :)

sorry if i am preaching to the converted (nick/tony for definite so sorry :oops: ) but little refinements in you rigs and the way you think about your fishing situation could catch you more fish. Nick actually has a step by step guide to my favorite pop-up rig of which i have caught 15 fish so far this year out of about 30 on up to 18lb but it is a very different set up to the one just described. horses for courses as they say :lol:

sorry again if this comes across big headed or anything like that but advise is there to be thought about , not nessacerily used :wink: there is always someone that can take something from somebody else's fishing no matter who, how or when :)

Try counter balancing them so the hook just sinks the bait. Top tactic and has nailed me more fish than i can remember..... especially when the rest of the lake was blanking.

Ask the lads on the Grumpy Old Mans social and they will vouch for that :wink:

What happened at the Grumpy Old Mens Social? :twisted::lol::lol::lol:

I'm running on my fish as well still! :shock:

Zander,

With Pop-ups other than the Hi-Viz approach I prefer to use Braid, or if I use Coated Braid I strip it back so that the hook can move. (just visible in the pics).

For the Hi-Viz baits the "mini hooklink" swivel I keep the putty away from the hook end of the swivel, and let the swivel turn. Its difficult to explain, but the swivel is actually on end with the mini hooklink coming straight up. If I use an unswivelled Combi-rig for a pop-up then the final end length is always braid and the putty always goes over the knot join

I also think that the Carp will actually move to get the bait in their mouthes if they want it enough. I've actually found with Pop-up rigs that I get Carp sometimes hooked in the top of the mouth. I think that this could be to do with them just closing their mouth around the bait rather than sucking it in.

• 1 month later...

When fishing with a pop up, which hook is the most effective to use? I use muggas and wide gapes for my general bottom bait fishing would they be any good for pop ups? and also do you have the pop up on a shortish hair like tight to the hook? or like on a bottom bait you have a bit of a gap between the bait and the hook?

This has always pickled me just thought I'd ask the question

When fishing with a pop up, which hook is the most effective to use? I use muggas and wide gapes for my general bottom bait fishing would they be any good for pop ups? and also do you have the pop up on a shortish hair like tight to the hook? or like on a bottom bait you have a bit of a gap between the bait and the hook?

This has always pickled me just thought I'd ask the question

To be honest I think that it depends on how you want to fish it and what pattern you feel comfortable with!

Looking back to my previous post and D-rigs; I usually use them for Snowman presentation more than Standard Pop-ups, sorry for any confusion, with the D-rigs I'll stay with the Centurions and Nailers.

I often seem to prefer an outurned eye for Pop-ups when I want the bait close to the hook, yet a straight or inturned when I have some separation, the inturned for a longer separation than with the straight. Seriously, I couldn't explain why, probably that thing called confidence! :shock:

Its the same with Stiff Rigs, I feel an outurned eye is slightly better for that as well.

I can't remember ever feeling comfortable with the Withy Pool rig and the extreme curved shank extension, I've not caught on it when I've tried it and normally go back to my favourite patterns.

I've caught a number of fish on B175's and pop-ups and the hair is normally about 10mm long. The Hook eye has putty moulded over it to keep the bait as close to the Lakebed as possible. I don't think that a larger Carp that doesn't "see" the bait from straight in front or below can tell the difference of a bait that is 2cm above the bottom to a bait that is on the bottom.

• 1 month later...

try about a inch to start with and than lower or raise dependng on you.

When you fish i always feed a stick made up of crumb or GB. when a fish goes over all the little particles will float of the bottom and waft around irriatating the carps taste, this will undoubtledly attract fish but wont feed them. leaving ur pop-up to be taken (only food item there), try anything that wafts off the bottom and flavour it so its similar to hookbait.

The other way i use them is to pop them up about 1-1.5 cm and then feed whole bloilies and chops over the top, i think a low pop-up looks like a bottom bait to a 30-40lb carp but is easier for them to see and pick-up and has the ability of the hook hanging. Not sure why but it works well and gives you a massive edge. I caught all my latest fish (upto 37.9lb) on these methods and its strange the lake sees popups score 3 to 1 on bottom baits always has done, so it might help on your lake.

Also use a simple rig not a withy,swivel 360 mega hooker just somthing that flips the hook and catches well enough. hope this helps

When you fish i always feed a stick made up of crumb or GB. when a fish goes over all the little particles will float of the bottom and waft around irriatating the carps taste, this will undoubtledly attract fish but wont feed them. leaving ur pop-up to be taken (only food item there), try anything that wafts off the bottom and flavour it so its similar to hookbait.

The other way i use them is to pop them up about 1-1.5 cm and then feed whole bloilies and chops over the top, i think a low pop-up looks like a bottom bait to a 30-40lb carp but is easier for them to see and pick-up and has the ability of the hook hanging. Not sure why but it works well and gives you a massive edge. I caught all my latest fish (upto 37.9lb) on these methods and its strange the lake sees popups score 3 to 1 on bottom baits always has done, so it might help on your lake.

Also use a simple rig not a withy,swivel 360 mega hooker just somthing that flips the hook and catches well enough. hope this helps

I agree about the pop up issue with regards to larger carp as I always believed due to their size they can't get close enough to the lakebed to distinguish between the two.A critically balanced pop up will be the first to shoot up into the fish's mouth.

I agree about the pop up issue with regards to larger carp as I always believed due to their size they can't get close enough to the lakebed to distinguish between the two.A critically balanced pop up will be the first to shoot up into the fish's mouth.

Nick, Neil I agree about the carp not really being able to distinguish between pop ups and bottom baits most of the time more so over a choddy or weedy bottom and also Nick is spot on about using a simple rig. However Im not always certain about the critical balancing of baits having seen carp causing that much disturbance when feeding over a baited patch that the bait (pop up) was flying all over the place in the vortexes caused by the carp. In this case I just used a over shotted pop up which nailed them really well. I know a lot of anglers use and recommend critically balancing baits but for me its not the be all and end all.

Nick, Neil I agree about the carp not really being able to distinguish between pop ups and bottom baits most of the time more so over a choddy or weedy bottom and also Nick is spot on about using a simple rig. However Im not always certain about the critical balancing of baits having seen carp causing that much disturbance when feeding over a baited patch that the bait (pop up) was flying all over the place in the vortexes caused by the carp. In this case I just used a over shotted pop up which nailed them really well. I know a lot of anglers use and recommend critically balancing baits but for me its not the be all and end all.

Very true Jez,it's not the be all and end all but from my observations,all be them in the margins I've seen carp tentatively pick up boilies one by one over a baited patch as if they're "looking" for something.Whether they are or not who knows but seeing as I'm predominantely a boilie angler when I target bigger fish then on my findings I feel more confident fishing a critically balanced bait when they seem to be picking up individual baits rather than gorging themselves. :wink:

That might be down to the pressure the fish are under and how this can make them a bit riggy at times. Most of my fishing is on waters that very rarely see another carp angler and the fish (if you can find them) aint usually that bad in regard of rigs. Still it goes to show how we observe different behaviour in similar situations and not to be blindfolded in our approach.

That might be down to the pressure the fish are under and how this can make them a bit riggy at times. Most of my fishing is on waters that very rarely see another carp angler and the fish (if you can find them) aint usually that bad in regard of rigs. Still it goes to show how we observe different behaviour in similar situations and not to be blindfolded in our approach.

You are so right.Just goes to show how tactics vary from one water to another and how important being in tune with the water is... :wink:

Do we head to the Ctitically Balanced Bait too early when using Pop-ups? To me the Critically Balanced bait is the last step in Pop-up presentation when you are trying to create that "suck and in it goes". Yet that "Suck and blow" could be moving the Critically balanced bait around preventing it being taken, especially when the fish are really moving the bait around with the swirling around the baited area.

I know a few people reckoned that the Critically Balanced approach worked best in winter when Carp were mooching more.

Jez,

Like you I like the Over weighted Pop-up, but I think it works best for fish that pick up the hookbait, or it does in the way I tend to fish pop-ups, very close to the lakebed.

• 3 weeks later...

[i use the D ring principle on all my pop ups as i feel the presentation is more superior to a standard hair, the hooking mechanism does rely on the 'blowback principle' which can make it harder for the carp to eject, they are used to dealing with standard hairs, so offer up someting slightly different? also, the pop up height? well that depends on the day, i personally would start at about an inch then work form there. PVA rig foam will protect the hook on casting then it will also suspend the hook over the lead as it settles, as the foam disolves, the hookbait then drifts gently into position, on top of the detritus, rather than being buried in it with the lead. i have great faith in pop ups, but in my experience, i find most dont like them, so when they do use them, they dont fish them correctly, then when they dont catch, they write off the bait as opposed to the method. you need to fish pop ups with the same thought and confidence as you would your bottom baits.

:roll:

• 1 month later...

Pulled up the first Pop-up thread rig I could find, with hopefully a new question for you.

How does the hook sit with your standard pop-up presentation?

I know we all think that the Hook is upright, sat on the "eye", but is it really?

In many cases due to water pressure and other reasons like the bait mounting, the hook may actually be point down, even sat on its side on the bottom and the pop-up above the hook at an angle.

Is the Bait buoyant enough to lift the hook in the lake (In your sink may be different to actual fishing)?

For a pop-up where is the best place to have the bait mounted?

How is the best bait mounting?

Was just making some rigs had some pop-ups so decided to try it in my pond, out of 3 different rigs 1 with the tubbing just on the shank didnt look good the hook point was actually facing up as the piece of peeled back braid flipped over so the hook point was facing the pop-up i tried to suck it up with my fingers like a fish would to see if it would flip but it wasnt succesful so i wont use this method that i just mentioned

I'll keep quiet on my cure for sucking fingers, but I think it involved a large pair of scissors and a pair of Nail Clippers :wink::twisted:

Actually I've worked out the best position in my view for where the bait is mounted, but I would like to see few more thoughts on the subject :wink: