stack rig

djm_josh

ive never heard or tried the rig and cant say that in reading any of the posts would give me confidence to do so i as other people think it is an unnatural presentation i would also be worried about the hooking potental of the rig i do use them with corn or hemp but i would call it a stringer i know people use the term for rigs with strung boilies on pva string but ah well its quite diffrent putting 4 bits of corn or 8 bits of hemp to 3+ boilies

I believe Rod Hutchinson originally described Stack Rigs as Greedy Pig rigs. One reason for there use is as an Anti Eject rig!

Stack rigs can be fished in a number of different ways. They also prevent to a certain extent the hook sinking into the silt/weed, leaving the bait on the surface of the bottom of the lake.

In Winter I often put 3 or 4 8mm baits on a hair, with a cork ball as the second bait from the top, just to provide a bit of lift. The Carp are often more comfortable feeding on small items in the winter and will often pick up plenty of mini Boilies when they'd only pick up 1 18mm Bait. I fish this on a Size8 hook

The other way is to have 3/4 normal size boiled baits on the Hair with a pop-up bait providing the lift from the bottom, works well for Bigger fish if they are comfortably feeding on loads of bait. Hook size on this is normally a size6 or 4.

It can also be fished with Particles, in fact many people do so without realising that they are fishing stack rigs. 1 popped up grain of Maize and a sinking piece is in fact a simple stack rig 'of sorts'.

Adam, I often used to attach 2 boilies together with PVA or Spaghetti to keep the baits really close and get the Carp used to finding 2 baits together and then fish 2 on the Hair. Also they then can't twig which ones are attached to the hook.

I think that makes sense.

Guest Anonymous

Adam, I often used to attach 2 boilies together with PVA or Spaghetti to keep the baits really close and get the Carp used to finding 2 baits together and then fish 2 on the Hair. Also they then can't twig which ones are attached to the hook.

I think that makes sense.

Thats a very good idea mate, I never thought about doing that!

• 1 month later...

ive seen the stack rig rip very pressured waters apart, 4 size 12 mil boiles on a small hook about a 8, this work very well when first intrduced on a water but dries up after they get hammerd on it. ive been thinking about it and i thought that the carp would have to approach the rig from one way meaning that evry thing would be hidden away from the carp. meaning it wont see ya rig. it has to aprroach the bait face on.

Only my opinion but i'd say 1 boilie was most natural, when a carp picks up your free baits/boilie's these are not joined to 3 or 4 others are they? therefor 4 boilies on a hair is not natural imo.

If you watch Carp feeding in Rich Natural waters you'll see that there are massive concentrations of Natural Food, large groups of Snails, large amounts if Mussels all together.

If you fish a Stack rig of 3/4 8or10mm Boilies then these mimic the Concentration and to an extent the size of the Natural food. A Carp will quite happily suck the whole lot in at one time. If you fish heavily over Particles, say Hemp, Maize or Sweetcorn then the Carp will again suck in whole mouthfuls of the Bait and I don't think that they notice that they are taking in a mouthful of baits complete with Hook.

Guest Anonymous

stack rigs area very under rated method. using this rig gives you the benefit of anti ejection and also plenty of attraction due to using 3,4 or even 5 baits very good in the winter when a lot of anglers are on the single baits. i remember tim paisley writing about having very good results on this rig in the past, get on it what have you got to lose.

Had 4 Carp on Thursday all on 2 grains of Sweetcorn with a Buoyant piece of Plastic Corn to lift it up. All simple stacks.

I managed to get the Carp to within 6feet of my Swim and just lowered the Bait into the water under the branches of the trees to my right.

The simple sweetcorn stack works well with Vitalin and sweetcorn Groundbait.

For me I found it works best with 8-10mm Baits. I don't know why, maybe as it is the same as just grabbing a mouthful of Natural Food.

I have used it with 3x14mm Baits and a Pop-up, but that was when I was fishing a Lake that was regularly fished with 24mm Boilies by Anglers to avoid the Bream. Something different that wasn't what the Carp expected?

Born in Essex, now living back in Suffolk, after a spell teaching the

Norfolk lads how to fish Multiple baits and to stalk fish effectively.:D :D

I'm a student of life, with a Laid back attitude who is always experimenting while fishing just to prove a point.:D

Taverham Mills used to respond well to 8mm Cubed Stack Rigs with a rough cut piece of Cork as the lift. Up to 5 Boilies Cubes on the hair and the fish would wolf them down, without even trying to reject them.

hi again

just been reading ACF and theres an article from dave lane and on page 16 theres a picture of dave getting the presentation right,

and guess what a stack rig, although no mention of the rig but the photo shows one.

anyway still trying, going tomoz i have been trying the small soucre bollies and a cork ball. the fish where there but didn't have a take. i'm fishing 3 lakes but nobody really doing much plus we only do days so even harder.

but its fun trying:)

In 1995 i fished a French Lake..Where a local kid advised us to fish 4 Boilies on a hair...either 2 Popups and 2 bottom, or 3 pops with 1 bottom...depending on bouyancy....

Very odd looking but................we took 3 good fish within 24 hours...could this method discourage the Carps tendancy to reject??????