Flurocarbon Leader and Chod rig

malibu

Has any one experimented with a Fluro Leader instead of leadcore or Tubing when using a Helicopter or chod setup.

I would love to know about any results or finding you have had, also any idea's on what to use as a bead stop?

:?:

I've not used a Fluorocarbon leader, but have used Amnesia. Mostly for Maximum Range casting.

As for the bead stop a piece of Powergum makes a good back stop.

Thats another one of my edges out in the open :evil: Thing is just say im using a 5" link, then my leader is only 12" maximum. Since the summer ive been scaling everything down to keep my end tackle as unobtrusive as possible.

PS my flourocarbon leaders are made of 18lb ESP Ghost.

PPS Thats on a normal lead clip arrangement, i dont use chod rigs.

PS my flourocarbon leaders are made of 18lb ESP Ghost.

PPS Thats on a normal lead clip arrangement, i dont use chod rigs.

I take it you put blobs of putty or something above the leader to make sure its sitting flat on the bottom?

How does it sit in the margins when just plopped in?

I use a small flying back lead with a few blobs of putty on the leader, this way it ensures everything is on the deck. In the margins well, you can hardly see it which is good :D

Does doing this not run the risk of pulling scales of the fish on the fight, I always use some form of leadcore or tubing myself

I sometimes use mono straight through (freelining/surface fishing) & i don't remember ever pulling scales off :)

Tony since using this have you caught more fish?

Ive not long started using the flouro leaders Chris, so considering its now winter and results will slow up as expected anyway, its hard to gauge if they give me an edge. I think it helps though just on the confidence side of things more than anything. My lake is getting like tap water now, so anything that will help disguise the end tackle as got to be a bonus IMO.

What i need to do is get down to a runs water in the warmer weather and fish a flouro leader next to a normal set up of either tubing or leadcore with the same bait and hooklink arrangement in the same area and see what happens and how the results fare against each other.

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually just set up one of my rods with a fluoro leader, but, I've used a rodlength of fluoro, my thought being the more of it there is, the more subtle the end set up will be. I know what you're thinking, that'll be expensive, but I found a spool of the rigmarole flurocarbon that I got at a show, they were doing 3 spools for £10

The only problem I can think of, is the abrasion resistance, if fishing snaggy lakes fluoro might not be the best

I've actually just set up one of my rods with a fluoro leader, but, I've used a rodlength of fluoro, my thought being the more of it there is, the more subtle the end set up will be. I know what you're thinking, that'll be expensive, but I found a spool of the rigmarole flurocarbon that I got at a show, they were doing 3 spools for £10

The only problem I can think of, is the abrasion resistance, if fishing snaggy lakes fluoro might not be the best

I prefer to keep my leaders as short as possible Sam. It makes me laugh when you see anglers use 5 foot lengths of leadcore, you know its gonna be so obvious and to keep a leader as long as this on the deck you are going to need a clear, flat 5 foot plus area on the lake bed. Just how many lake beds do you know are completely flat and clear?

Not many i would guess.

Good point Tony, but surely, if the leader was off the bottom, then the mainline would be off the bottom aswell, because unless you're using a fluoro mainline the leader will be more dense, so sink better than the mainline anyway?Of course, I may be wrong :wink:

The mainline will always come off the bottom at some point, its got to. But i feel a mainline is a lot more unobtrusive than a leadcore leader or rig tubing, so the sooner you can get onto it the better. Plus there is nothing wrong with putting on a small flying back lead and dotting down your leader with a few dots of putty.

As long as the fish can feed around your bait and not get spooked by your line then its all good IMO.

But.....

In winter i tend not to fish flying back leads at all, im fishing for liners. As long as i know there are fish in the area then that will help your confidence. I dont mind blanking in winter, TBH we all must expect more blanks than successful sessions but as long as i go home knowing i was fishing an area that the fish where in then thats much better than sitting all day next to motionless indicators thinking 'Was i even on the fish in the first place'?

But, I'm fishing with a fluouro leader, so if all the stuff about light refraction is true, this will be less unobtrusive than the mainline, even if it is sitting up off the bottom

Yes i can see your thinking here so who knows?

Lets be honest, the only way any of us are gonna know how our leaders look on the bottom is to don a pair of flippers and air tanks and dive down to actually look at them ourselves.

Which has to be said i would love to do.

But, I'm fishing with a fluouro leader, so if all the stuff about light refraction is true, this will be less unobtrusive than the mainline, even if it is sitting up off the bottom

Lets be honest, the only way any of us are gonna know how our leaders look on the bottom is to don a pair of flippers and air tanks and dive down to actually look at them ourselves.

Have swum free over Leaders and compared the differences between that and tubing. Its a long time ago, but the results are somewhere in the forum. Think it was on a Ladcore vs Tubing debate.

Also Fluorocarbon leaders at some light levels are still visible. I think that is mentioned on the Colour Vision thread.

*leadcore*.

I was going to edit the original typo :oops: , but just think that Ladcore is a good word :lol::lol:

I know, it' be such an edge, and you could swim with your rig, place it on that 5 in square gravel spot, lay out the hooklink nicely, cover up the lead with some weed or gravel...Oh, I'm drooling at the though! :D

And when you're not diving, you'd know what coulour tubing to use, which hooklink blends in best, if the hookpoint is getting snagged up

I know, it' be such an edge, and you could swim with your rig, place it on that 5 in square gravel spot, lay out the hooklink nicely, cover up the lead with some weed or gravel...Oh, I'm drooling at the though! :D

And when you're not diving, you'd know what coulour tubing to use, which hooklink blends in best, if the hookpoint is getting snagged up

On the Reservoir the Solar Green tubing was and Merlin blended in best. Also the Atomic Leads with the textured finished looked exactly like Gravel.

Taverham, a plain uncoated well used lead and Supasilk. It may look brand new and white from new, but after a few minutes in the lake takes on the colour of the bottom

Not that I ever swum down to check my Bait presentation or anything, but the Ressie results are definitley in the threads I mentioned :wink:

Have swum free over Leaders and compared the differences between that and tubing. Its a long time ago, but the results are somewhere in the forum. Think it was on a Ladcore vs Tubing debate.

Also Fluorocarbon leaders at some light levels are still visible. I think that is mentioned on the Colour Vision thread.

*leadcore*.

I was going to edit the original typo :oops: , but just think that Ladcore is a good word :lol::lol:

I wasn't gonna mention it :lol: