Matching spod rods? Free spirit helical spod

I've never owned a matching spod rod, Is there any advantage to buying one over say any other half decent spod rod? 

Whilst my wychwood is still going strong for now and does all I need. it has started to feel a little tired recently and it occasionally creeks af groans like probably most of us 😁, when you consider I've had 2 sets of rods since I had that and I do quite a lot of spodding, I'm thinking it might be my next upgrade. And might just go for the matching free spirit helical 12ft SPM rod as I am enjoying the new rods so far but I just wondered if there was an advantage in doing so? If anyone has used the SPM rod would like to hear comments also. 

Regards 

4 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I've never owned a matching spod rod, Is there any advantage to buying one over say any other half decent spod rod? 

Whilst my wychwood is still going strong for now and does all I need. it has started to feel a little tired recently and it occasionally creeks af groans like probably most of us 😁, when you consider I've had 2 sets of rods since I had that and I do quite a lot of spodding, I'm thinking it might be my next upgrade. And might just go for the matching free spirit helical 12ft SPM rod as I am enjoying the new rods so far but I just wondered if there was an advantage in doing so? If anyone has used the SPM rod would like to hear comments also. 

Regards 

I've gone back to Century's Big Bertha which I got around 2007. She is still a beast!

I've found:

a) Avid and Sonik Spod and Marker rods have awful rod rings, with liners falling out and the frames bending easily.

b) after replacing them, the rod just doesn't have the life or grunt to put out a medium Spomb much above 60metres.

Neither is a bad rod for a marker but despite being hybrids, not Spodding.

The Tackle Box Spod rods do get good reviews.

On 01/09/2024 at 17:58, elmoputney said:

Cheapest century I could find was £287 for a century spodding machine. 

I don't think Mrs Putney would be best pleased with me. I might just keep an eye out for a used harrison, century or free spirit one, I'm in no rush yet. Will see what turns up. 

Tackle box CFX Black edition, brilliant rod for the money, came out top in some published comparisons after field testing  👍

I fell on one snapped it in half and bought the same rod again - says it all, although after I realised I could buy a spare tip, so now I have 2 matching spod rods 🤣

Edited by kevtaylor

5 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Tackle box CFX Black edition, brilliant rod for the money, came out top in some published comparisons after field testing  👍

I fell on one snapped it in half and bought the same rod again - says it all, although after I realised I could buy a spare tip, so now I have 2 matching spod rods 🤣

Spod & Marker Setup?

2 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

I did have a look they are over £200 now though 😬

40 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Yeah I've seen the price rise, think I paid 180, absolutely worth 200.  I could have bought the Harrison one, but this one is raved about beating rods twice the price. 👍

I must have seen the same reviews, Tackle Box rods definitely worth the money from my recall was the views 

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I must have seen the same reviews, Tackle Box rods definitely worth the money from my recall was the views 

The spod rod was in a magazine feature from memory, rods were placed in 3 price ranges, this won the mid price range with all 3 judges and I think 2 also had it as their overall favourite to use.

Edited by kevtaylor