Whats the best hook lenght material for Clay bottom ?

jcarson

i fish a lake that has a clay bottom and i have loads of hook length material but i am not convinced with any one in particular because i keep blanking.

i have had to many sessions that i have blanked now and i am going to change my main line from fox camo 15lb to X Line 12lb. and i will probably re-stock and go back on the korda safety clips clay colour.

any suggestions anyone as i am open to suggestions and cant keep blanking.

I wouldnt say cos you are blanking thats it all down to the colour or make of your hooklength material :? Have you got your location right? This is the over-riding factor of carp fishing that the vast majority of anglers forget. It makes no difference what rods or reels you have sitting on your shiny new pod, or what new rig you are using that was advertised in the latest monthly magazine or the newest all singing or all dancing bait that claims to outfish anything else.

If you are not on the fish, you are not gonna catch..... Fact!

I bet the methods, baits and tactics you are using will be fine and will catch anywhere, its just the location or where you place your baited rig that is the problem. Cos its no good being in the best swim on the lake if your rig is not in the spot in that swim.

Do you know what your baited rig is landing on?

Are you a chuck it and chance type of angler?

PS I dont know about anyone else, but i stick with a hooklength that i have complete confidence in and use that anywhere i fish. And the key word here is..... Confidence.

thanks for your reply mate. i have a bait boat and im always looking for fish to show so i can stick it on them and sometimes it pays off. but lately what ever i do it dont seem to work. so i wanted to find out peoples opinion on which hook length to use. i have a whole variety of materials but none that i have confidence in.

i have a bait boat and im always looking for fish to show so i can stick it on them and sometimes it pays off. but lately what ever i do it dont seem to work. so i wanted to find out peoples opinion on which hook length to use. i have a whole variety of materials but none that i have confidence in.

The Bait boat makes no flipping odds. Bait Boats are another issue totally and should be kept to the Bait Boat threads.

To be honest by mentioning it you have put a lot of people off :wink:

Its a Love/Hate topic and I think more, me included Hate Them!

To get back to the issue in question, there is no right or wrong and in many cases what works for one person may not work for another, down to something called confidence. I'm confident in my rigs and they work for me.

The majority of my rigs are knotless knotted or line aligned. The only thing I normally play around with is the hair length or the rig length.

The exception is with Snowman set-ups where I use a d-ring set-up.

The one thing I do make sure is that dependant on the lake bottom I try to camouflage the hooklink material, so whatever colour the bottom is I try to match the hooklink to that colour.

As good as Kryston hooklink materials are I still have others in my Tackle Box. Deception, Carp-r-us Clearwater fluorocarbon, some monos, Drennan Sub Surface Green, Amnesia all for different bottoms and uses.

This is my reply basically on another thread. You cannot catch fish that aren't in the area, so my advice to you is concentrate on locating the Carp, then get a Bait that they are confident eating. You make no mention of what bait you are using. If its those Overflavoured, Hi Attract pop-ups, then they may be working against you. You would be far better to get onto a Food Source Bait and applying it properly and pre-bait with it. The Carp's confidence in the bait will increase and probably so will your results. If the Carp's confidence in the bait is high and they are happy eating it, then in most cases it doesn't matter a flying fig what your Rig is!

I have just had the experience of fishing next to someone who used a bait boat to drop bait/rig over showing fish, no surprise when he reeled in he was tangled coz he just dropped the rig in a heap. My main point though is that the boat had to scare the fish off - I felt he spoilt the chances for both of us at times TBH, far better to cushion a nice cast towards them whilst their showing than drive a boat over their heads? On some waters that might be fine on others I dont think it is. I've never used a boat but if I did I'm pretty sure you would need to take the rod and tighten up before dropping the rig to feel what you are landing on and help the rig straighten up?

Regarding hooklink material for clay, I'd be happy to use suffix heavy skin in brown, but you'd have to check it in the margins. Uncoated braids can also be excellent as they take in the colours of the lakebed. Always check your rig in the margins coz you would be surprised how sometimes the rigs doesn't sit like you think it is, even if its one you trust totally, it might just need a tiny tweek, bit of putty or whatever. Good luck

thanks for your help boys

i was asked if my location was right so i mentioned i had a bait boat. The lake i fish you find that 75 per cent of the cathes come from tight (and i mean tight) to the island or the lillys. so the bait boat works for this situation. as for salokcinnodrog you may want to keep your toy toys in your pram. i asked for views on hook link material not what you think of bait boats.

thanks for your help boys

i was asked if my location was right so i mentioned i had a bait boat. The lake i fish you find that 75 per cent of the cathes come from tight (and i mean tight) to the island or the lillys. so the bait boat works for this situation. as for salokcinnodrog you may want to keep your toy toys in your pram. i asked for views on hook link material not what you think of bait boats.

Trust me, my toys are firmly in my Pram, and my Dummy in my mouth, although you keep on like that and they won't be and it won't be me who suffers:twisted: :roll:

Location using a Bait Boat makes no odds, it doesn't need mentioning. Its just as easy to put a Bait in the wrong place with a Bait Boat as it is to miscast by casting. In fact I would bet my Casting against any Bait Boat.

I gave you my views on Hooklink Material, the quote is mine from another thread on Rig Camouflage :wink:

Their is NO right or wrong Rig material, just find one that you are comfortable with and you catch Carp on. I'd say that is the be all and end all, but its not; You also have to get the Lead Set-up arrangements right as well. Carp may be sussing out "your" Semi-Fixed Lead Tight Line set-up, so you may have to get onto Slack Lines and Running Leads, or Paternoster Set-ups.

lets not carry on like two old women its embarassing to listen too.

you talk alot of sense sometimes so i respect what you say about the slack lines etc . The bait boats is another matter and to be fair its a boring one.

P.S You did start to scare me when you said i would suffer so ive gone into hiding.

lets not carry on like two old women its embarassing to listen too.

you talk alot of sense sometimes so i respect what you say about the slack lines etc . The bait boats is another matter and to be fair its a boring one.

P.S You did start to scare me when you said i would suffer so ive gone into hiding.

:lol::lol::lol:

Its ok I scare everyone, even myself :wink::lol::lol: