When to use coated braid or fluorocarbon?

ktc123

I currently just use semi-stiff coated braid straight through however I've been looking at the combi rig which uses the stiff fluoro and then a few cm of stripped braid at the end.

When would you and when wouldn't you want to use the fluoro as opposed to the coated braid?

I use a Slip D combi rig made from fluoro with a loop of hybrid to make a rig. I've also got a couple of rigs in my wallet made from heavy coated braid with a stripped loop.

I prefer the fluoro version because it is stiffer and more invisible. I tie a large loop of about 2 inches at the other end to attach it to quick change swivel and this doubling up really helps to reset the rig. We get "done" far more than we think and I have more confidence in the fluoro resetting but it's probably only marginal.

Tie the fluro rig with the albright knot and test it thoroughly with a couple of line pullers to ensure it doesn't slip.

I use the loops and booms for combies, I rarely use fluro it can be too stiff a lot off the time, so I use either a really supple jelly wire from PB Products that is mainly for hinge chod rigs, for the combie I use the Korda coated braid that takes a crimping.

Mainly due to eyesight issues I would need a fresh set of specs regular to tie my own these days, 

13 hours ago, ktc123 said:

I currently just use semi-stiff coated braid straight through however I've been looking at the combi rig which uses the stiff fluoro and then a few cm of stripped braid at the end.

When would you and when wouldn't you want to use the fluoro as opposed to the coated braid?

Believe it or not I rarely use fluorocarbon on hooklinks, and when I use combi-rigs, still prefer 20lb Amnesia in black or clear, and the braid section is (still) the uncoated Kryston Merlin.

(Black Amnesia slightly more supple).

I don't use combi-rigs in weedy or silty lakes, sticking with coated or plain braid. I think that the lead often drags the hooklink into the silt or weed and then it sticks up near the lead, especially since I normally use a run ring rather than helicopter setups.

On gravel I think either coated braid stripped at the end or combi-rigs work. 

Sorry I have to go back to the days of fishing Brackens Pool at Nazeing, both the combi-rigs and stripped back section rigs worked on there and you were trying to fish on gravel bars or in the margins.