Bivvy, brolly system - too big too small?

8 hours ago, yonny said:

Snap. Awesome little shelter.

I also have a Tempest Brolly for when the big winds arrive on a reservoir I fish but given the choice it's the Lo Pro all day.

Oh yes, those big winds can kill a lightweight bivvy, especially if you are silly enough to face directly into the wind... 

I have had winds veer round and destroy a TFG Hardcore brolly, and a JRC Roamer Dome. The Hardcore was repairable with restringing or rewiring the spokes but you do lose a bit of faith. I let a mate have it as he does mostly days. 

The JRC fibreglass poles delaminated totally. Nice for a small water shelter but out of touch for reservoirs. 

Strangely the TFG Oval despite having a few big southwesterly winds blowing into it has stood the test a few times. 

7 hours ago, pablo7uk said:

think it's becoming very clear that bivvies, brollies etc really are a thing of personal preference

Exactly, and all for our own reasons. 

I've been through brolly, brolly and over wrap, dome, and bivvy and found that the brolly and overwrap system format suits me best. I can even get (in fact have) an overwrap for the Cabrio Hybrid Brolly, but this winters shenanigans meant that I did not use it. 

3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Oh yes, those big winds can kill a lightweight bivvy, especially if you are silly enough to face directly into the wind... 

I have had winds veer round and destroy a TFG Hardcore brolly, and a JRC Roamer Dome. The Hardcore was repairable with restringing or rewiring the spokes but you do lose a bit of faith. I let a mate have it as he does mostly days. 

The JRC fibreglass poles delaminated totally. Nice for a small water shelter but out of touch for reservoirs. 

Strangely the TFG Oval despite having a few big southwesterly winds blowing into it has stood the test a few times. 

Exactly, and all for our own reasons. 

I've been through brolly, brolly and over wrap, dome, and bivvy and found that the brolly and overwrap system format suits me best. I can even get (in fact have) an overwrap for the Cabrio Hybrid Brolly, but this winters shenanigans meant that I did not use it. 

The longer this thread continues the more I fancy just keeping my jrc extreme tx 2 man haha. It's top quality material and super heavy duty. I love the hood over the front as it keeps off a bit of rain when watching the water through the letterbox. I love the space inside.

My biggest worry is visiting a new venue and it being too big for a peg!

6 hours ago, pablo7uk said:

.My biggest worry is visiting a new venue and it being too big for a peg!

I've had that, I ended up bivvying up side of the the peg and the bailiff wasn't impressed... This was my 2 man Carpzone AS... It was maoooooosive. 

Screenshot_20210519_060256.jpg

Screenshot_20210519_060221.jpg

Screenshot_20210519_060150.thumb.jpg.75b288536dbf9a500d6e8030675a4d7d.jpg

Screenshot_20210519_060206.jpg

Edited by Highy

2 hours ago, Highy said:

I've had that, I ended up bivvying up side of the the peg and the bailiff wasn't impressed... This was my 2 man Carpzone AS... It was maoooooosive. 

Screenshot_20210519_060256.jpg

Screenshot_20210519_060221.jpg

Screenshot_20210519_060150.thumb.jpg.75b288536dbf9a500d6e8030675a4d7d.jpg

Screenshot_20210519_060206.jpg

Your dimensions W315 x D280 x H155

My dimensions W 300 x D 306 x H 160

... Now you understand my concerns haha

3 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

Your dimensions W315 x D280 x H155

My dimensions W 300 x D 306 x H 160

... Now you understand my concerns haha

Wooow, deffo downsize if it's just 1 person... Its OK for room in summer but, in winter it takes longer to warm up... I'd deffo get a 1 man ASWELL I only had the 2 for when my lad comes, but when he dies now, he sleeps in my bed and I just recline the chair... 

After getting the edge of my bechair wet under a brolly at Ashmead and my two man JRC STi being too big a beast for short stays... I blagged a Nash Titan Hide with all the bits, ground sheet, infill panel, and overwrap for less than £200 off Faeces berk market place... goes up in less than 3 mins and back down again just as quickly... lovely bit of kit, more room than a brolly and lighter than my JRC by a long way

20200907_084506.jpg

had my jrc contact for ten years still going only resealed once in ten years it actually behaved in that last rain storm no condensation and that's a single skin really could with something faster and more portable only got this bivvy due to the Mrs said she might do the odd overnighter never has yet, keeps mumbling about getting a caravan and hitting the pikey routes, ha ha yeah right I'm really going to open myself up to all that comes with that, I don't speak the lingo you really do need to be able to speak one of the Gaelic languages to get along in those places. i have never even towed a caravan either.

the wychwood will be my next buy.  if i can't get something like titan system

4 hours ago, Highy said:

I originally chose 2 man because I thought my girlfriend was going to occasionally come along but things change and it's certainly not her top priority haha especially when she can go shopping whilst I'm fishing haha. We don't have kids either so I guess now I've honestly no need for a 2 man. Although I'm not impressed with the set up time I think I'm gonna sell the 2 man on eBay and get a 1 man version brand new to save the hassle.