Intro and question.

Hello there returning carper from East Anglia way. Been a few years since iv been and looking to get back to fishing in the UK.

Curious to how you guys may approach a new lake . What rigs do you have the most confidence in to test the waters? Also interested in your go to bait?

Cheers 

Matt

10 hours ago, Mattn750 said:

Curious to how you guys may approach a new lake .

The same as I'd approach a water I knew well tbh. Look for fish, fish for them.

10 hours ago, Mattn750 said:

What rigs do you have the most confidence in to test the waters?

Whatever suits the substrate I find in a given area. And zigs.

My basic approach doesn’t change when fishing a new water, I use my own bait that I’ve been making for very many years, and simple rigs that suit the given situation. The key is to use rigs and bait that you have utmost confidence in, a new water is not the time to start changing baits and rigs. Then concentrate on location. 

On 21/04/2021 at 21:30, Mattn750 said:

Hello there returning carper from East Anglia way. Been a few years since iv been and looking to get back to fishing in the UK.

Curious to how you guys may approach a new lake . What rigs do you have the most confidence in to test the waters? Also interested in your go to bait?

Cheers 

Matt

Welcome to Carp.com. 

My rigs are probably older than many carp angler's! 

On most new waters I start with a basic line aligned coated braid rig, it is old fashioned but it still works, this is fished on 2 rods, on the 3rd I use a simple D-rig for pop-ups. Only if the water has definitely been pressured on the bottom bait rigs do I change and then only by adding a sliding ring on the hook shank, but not tied on, instead it is stopped from sliding down past the bend by a hook bead. This gives me the option of changing hair length to suit, and works with bottom or snowman baits. 

(see pic on here:) 

Bait is an easy option, I don't go for tons of different pop-ups, I have one food source bait Rod Hutchinson's KMG, with a matching pop-up and a contrast pop-up, currently Monster Crab and Ballistic B. 

3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Welcome to Carp.com. 

My rigs are probably older than many carp angler's! 

On most new waters I start with a basic line aligned coated braid rig, it is old fashioned but it still works, this is fished on 2 rods, on the 3rd I use a simple D-rig for pop-ups. Only if the water has definitely been pressured on the bottom bait rigs do I change and then only by adding a sliding ring on the hook shank, but not tied on, instead it is stopped from sliding down past the bend by a hook bead. This gives me the option of changing hair length to suit, and works with bottom or snowman baits. 

(see pic on here:) 

Bait is an easy option, I don't go for tons of different pop-ups, I have one food source bait Rod Hutchinson's KMG, with a matching pop-up and a contrast pop-up, currently Monster Crab and Ballistic B. 

Thanks for the reply, very informative. I'm trying a new lake next week for an overnighter and was thinking a d rig as it seem a busy lake and might have more luck with that. I shall have a look for some bait this weekend  with your suggestions

On 22/04/2021 at 13:54, ouchthathurt said:

My basic approach doesn’t change when fishing a new water, I use my own bait that I’ve been making for very many years, and simple rigs that suit the given situation. The key is to use rigs and bait that you have utmost confidence in, a new water is not the time to start changing baits and rigs. Then concentrate on location. 

Sound advice, I haven't been for a long time so starting anew. Will have to find a bait that works 👍