Monster Crab Bait/Boilles

SS Carp

Are you making feed baits or hook baits

you could look at the nutrabaits grave thread going on and pick up bits from there 

ie 

BFM and add the monster crab flavour to that 

Also depends on if you want to buy a bag of base mix or construct your own

Edited by framey

Any decent reputable fish meal base mix should do mate, you’re best picking a brand and sticking with it, I’ve been using the same base mix company since 1996 (premier) I always found the monster crab flavour to be a good fish catcher (the original RH monster crab was awesome) but a word of warning... it does absolutely stink and the others in your household may not talk to you for a while. Check out the MC/addicted mix from Rod Hutchinson, give it a google and see what base mix (type) that was on, it was a winner. 

41 minutes ago, SS Carp said:

Thank you so much for helping, just one quick question, what do you think about mixing with solar clubmix?

There are no hard and fast rules regarding which flavour you can put in which base mix. Though for me a lot of the base mixes from certain companies, they are best used with flavours from the same company.  This is because certain powdered additives would have been added to said companies base mix which lend themselves to the flavours from the same company.  

To answer you  though, solar club mix is a very good base mix. Obviously renowned for having the solar squid and octopus flavour mixed with it so should be good with a strong fish/crab flavour.  

Edited by emmcee

The solar club mix is a proven bait with an excellent track record, as is the trigga base mix. I would be cautious about blending the two bases, (if I understand correctly) as they are specifically formulated with specific ingredients. I’d choose one and stick with it. For me out of the two would be the club mix as it’s got some good fish meal ingredients in it, which would complement the monster crab flavour. Maybe consider other little goodies to make the bait unique to you. The bait I make is on a matrix base mix with robin red, shellfish sense appeals, cream stimulant, betaine and salmon oil with a low dose of smoked ham or blue cheese flavour. With pungent flavours like monster crab I like to think that less is more so the bait isn’t completely overpowering smell wise, I think this is better in a long term foodbait, relying more on the inherent pulling power and the nutrition found in a food bait rather than short term “smelly baits” that rely on the scent in larger doses to attract. I do think that beds of strongly smelling bait can be off putting to carp. I reckon base mixes would work just as well as just a base and oils, relying on the inherent flavours and attractors within the base, the flavour is added for a “smell” which we can obviously detect, but can a carp “smell” as we do? Or do they detect the flavour as a taste? I don’t know, but I know adding a flavour makes it smell nice to me, it breeds confidence and that’s half the battle. Decent food baits get better with application, so pick a decent bait and stick with it mate. 

I would get one base mix and stick with it. 

I don't know how good Trigga is since Bill Cottam left Nutrabaits, but personally I don't have the same faith in the company I used to. 

Solar Club Mix, not bad, but Monster Crab is a Rod Hutchinson boilie as well, available as a frozen or shelf life. I keep some selfies handy as despite the stink, they are a top bait. You do not need much flavour, stick to the recommended maximum, or even go lower. 

I think the most important thing to take away is to find a bait that you have confidence in, that’s the key. There are many reputable bait firms out there that can fill your needs, but as an angler you need that trust, faith and confidence that they will work. Whilst I will harp on for ages about premier baits, other anglers will love nutrabaits, or solar or Mainline, etc it all comes down to what you have confidence in. Sometimes the reasons for a base mix can be arbitrary, when I first started rolling bait in the 90s, I was on mainline grange, my mate was on premier aminos. Why? Because I lived in one town where the local tackle shop stocked mainline bases and my mates shop stocked premier. I could walk to my shop, yet to get premier bases, I would have to catch the train. My mates catch rates were better than mine, so I stopped using Mainline and jumped on the train... I’ve been using premier ever since and haven’t looked back. So my faith in premier is higher than that of mainline, I don’t feel as confident in mainline as I do premier, which is stupid really as my pb 42lb 8oz carp was caught on a red plum mainline pop up when I arrived at a lake without any bait... (muppet) yet there will be thousands of anglers that will argue the case for mainline as their bait of choice as it’s done the business for them, just ask Dave Lane and the lads from Korda... initially choosing a base mix can be a bit bewildering, there’s so much choice, but the reputable firms have produced very good mixes, regardless of company, my advice would be to look at your waters, see what the going bait is there, then use that to help narrow your search. Pick a base and stick with it. Build your confidence up in it through catches and soon you have so much faith in your bait that you almost forget about that equation! Don’t forget the most important element in carping, location location location! You can’t catch a carp that isn’t there, the best bait in the world can’t catch carp in an empty swim!