Reel advice needed

Hi All

I'm getting an ESP 10ft 3lb Stalker for margin \ snag fishing. They feel like great rods I guess max casting range will be 30 yds.

I need some ideas for a reel to team it with I don't want anything too big that will unbalance the rod. 

Also don't want to spend too much, I'm not tight but I'm not spending £200 for a reel when the rod cost 50 ! This rig isn't my primary casting set up but will be a hit and hold affair..

Anyone out there use Scopes or similar ??

1 hour ago, PaulKill said:

Hi All

I'm getting an ESP 10ft 3lb Stalker for margin \ snag fishing. They feel like great rods I guess max casting range will be 30 yds.

I need some ideas for a reel to team it with I don't want anything too big that will unbalance the rod. 

Also don't want to spend too much, I'm not tight but I'm not spending £200 for a reel when the rod cost 50 ! This rig isn't my primary casting set up but will be a hit and hold afair..

Anyone out there use Scopes or similar ??

Go for a centrepin reel😉

Something like Advanta Discovery. 

If you want fixed spool, I'd struggle now, you don't particularly want plastic gearing or clutch mechanism. I suppose the cheapest is Shimano ST4000. 

You don't need a Baitrunner though, a standard fixed spool reel will do 

wow centerpin wouldnt of thought it.

Never used one.

Dumb question do they have anti-reverse.

Just seen some Shimanno 8010s on the bay. Any thoughts guys...?

My old 4000 GTs have never let me down and ive used them a lot since they first came out.

The new Shimms feel awful. No doubt now made in china with vastly inferior parts.

I like the idea of a centerpin but its going to limit casting on some of my favourite swims ( 40 yds of snagy swim free margins..)

7 hours ago, PaulKill said:

wow centerpin wouldnt of thought it.

Never used one.

Dumb question do they have anti-reverse.

Your finger! 

To be honest if I'm stalking, most of my fishing is within a rod length of the bank. If I'm snag fishing at any more than 20 metres, then I'm using my normal rods and reels. 

If your older reels are good, keep using them. 

3 minutes ago, framey said:

ninjas 

gs4000 

legalis 

3 in the daiwa range 

but I would stick to what you have already

unless you know how to use a pin you will get really frustrated and end up chucking it away so don’t bother.

Framey is right a pin does take some getting used to but for close in an stalking I absolutely love mine

12 minutes ago, Carpmaster said:

Framey is right a pin does take some getting used to but for close in an stalking I absolutely love mine

Probably not a better reel around for margin work but if you let the fish get over 30 yards away it feels like you are winding it back in for weeks lol

Been using pins for carping for the last 8 years (as well as fixed spool reels,) the downside is casting any distance... 30 yards is pretty much at the limit and take a special technique which is hard to master (Wallis casting) One way of getting a rig out is to peel line off the spool onto the grass at your feet and underarm it out.... beware though this can lead to tangles...

If stealth is required I use a baiting pole (6mts landing net handle) and put my rig into the spoon and ship it out and drop it into the required spot... this is a dead sneaky way of baiting up....

Most pins do not have an anti reverse but they do have a ratchet which can make an unholy shriek when you get a screamer of a run (you won't need an alarm)

The rigs in the above pics are Sharpes 9' Scotties (approx 2.75lbsTC) with Mordex Merlin 4.5" pins with 12lb line 

5 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

Most pins do not have an anti reverse but they do have a ratchet which can make an unholy shriek when you get a screamer of a run (you won't need an alarm)

Great fun, especially when your bait is hanging off your rod tip just touching the surface and gets taken.