Cork wafter & pop ups

toftman

I couldn't give an answer as I've never made any but it will depend on the density of the dry ingredients. Probably a bit of trial and error and add increasing amounts of dust to a small mix and test them noting the ratio used. I like my wafters to just about lift the hook vertically so it is about as as balanced as possible. Obviously things like hook size and the weight of any swivels (if used) also affect this. I put on the wafter and drop it into an ice cream tub full of water to see how it sits. If it's not upright enough, I bore out a few holes with a 4mm ESP bait drill and push some cork sticks in and cut them off. If it isn't enough, add a couple more. It only takes a few seconds to do but increases my confidence. 

5 hours ago, toftman said:

Has any one came up with a definite amount of cork dust/granules  in gram to make either wafters or pop ups, ??? It’s more the wafters I’m interested in  

Never used dust/granules but I reckon it may be more than you think and it would depend on the mix you are using 

Edited by framey

When using cork dust in wafters, the only sure fire way I’ve found is to roll the individual baits adding the dust to baits individually and testing each bait in a jar of water until I get the buoyancy I require. I will have a hook pattern that I use and push it into the paste ball to ensure buoyancy is correct prior to boiling. Making baits in small batches. As they air dry out, they can become more buoyant though. I make the baits smaller than wanted, so as you add the cork dust, they increase in diameter. 

to be honest, I tend not to bother with cork dust any more and just use cork balls with a thicker paste layer to make wafters, although with a 10mm cork ball, you end up with a 14-16mm bait. Sometimes 8mm cork balls can be sourced online for a 12mm approx bait. 

I can't really help you with Cork dust but I heard dave Lane talking about his old mainline hookbaits he used to get made, and they were 70% mix to 30% pop up mix 

This is Darrell pecks wafter mix 

https://www.carpology.net/article/bait/how-to-make-darrell-pecks-white-banoffee-wafter-hookbaits/

Neither of which really help you but I thought I would share incase they help someone else 😂