Reels; metal or plastic line clips

3 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

Could anyone recommend one over the other? The diawa are so much more expensive but I seem drawn to them for some reason.

I'm not that keen on the latest 'more expensive' Shimano reels. 

A few years ago I bought myself Shimano Beast master reels, around £60 each. Bearing in mind I worked in a tackle shop, so I was able to play and compare various reels before buying. I honestly did not like the £100 price tag in relation to build quality. 

The Beastmasters have round metal line clips, as you have said, it doesn't matter which type. 

I haven't owned a Daiwa reel since the 1980's (Ag1350's?) , I found Shimano gearing better, and they were well ahead with baitrunner over Bite'n'Run. 

16 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

Could anyone recommend one over the other? 

Daiwa all day long mate. They put up with anything and everything. Invincible.

I used to use an original shimmy long cast as my spod reel. The best reel shimano ever produced imo. Even that died after a couple of years on the spod rod.

I have to admit the reels on my actual fishing rods are all diawa. I've had them for years, through rain dirt etc they've been totally fine. The funny part is they were only around £50 brand new so when I kitted myself out with a third rod I found a matching reel second hand for about £25. I do have a lot of confidence in the build quality even on the cheap ones. They are diawa regal z baitrunners.

On 23/10/2020 at 10:34, yonny said:

Daiwa all day long mate. They put up with anything and everything. Invincible.

I used to use an original shimmy long cast as my spod reel. The best reel shimano ever produced imo. Even that died after a couple of years on the spod rod.

I'd argue, the Shimano Aerlex 8000's were the best 😉

I still use one for my spod rod, and it is around 15years old, only occasionally cleaned outside. I don't think it has been serviced. 

On 26/10/2020 at 12:43, salokcinnodrog said:

I honestly don't know. 

They look good, but it would be whether the build quality is good 

It turns out I had to buy one, my local fishing shop had 3 that had been used a couple of times as a main fishing reels for sale at £50 each virtually new, seems quite a nice reel, and a good deal so will let you know how it performs 👍