Prefered loop knot

Carpbell_ll

On 01/08/2020 at 02:44, fangus15 said:

Steve renyard  did dvd rigs or on line he had a few new ones .one was perfect knot kept shape didn't tilt to one side. 

That's the problem with loop knots, looks skiwiff but should not cause a problem on a snag leader?

13 hours ago, charlieg said:

I wouldn’t tie a loop knot to then tie another knot to that. I would join the 2 materials together using a leader knot. Either a back to back grinner or Mahin knot for Fluoro to mono. 

Good call never tied a mono leader before always used either leadcore or fluro straight through, be easier to buy those pre looped leaders but i have a half spool of good quality fluro that makes for a much finer leader. 

I have tested the surgeons loop on the fluro, it snaps below the loop knot, but i may go with the mahin knot you advised, ta. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 31 July 2020 at 10:27, Carpbell_ll said:

Might tie a few 1 metre length fluro leaders up for my next trip out, normaly i would tie a surgeons loop as it is a very easy knot, would you use this knot on a leader or go with a different loop knot? 

I won't join mainline to a leader with a loop to loop knot, I think that a proper leader knot is tidier and stronger.

What knot I use is determined by the thickness of the lines being joined. If they are a similar diameter it will be a water knot or uni knot to uni knot, if the leader is thicker than the mainline it will be a shockleader knot; overhand knot in the leader, then uni knot through and down the leader, wet and pull tight. 

I have actually broken the hook when it stuck in rocks on the lakebed rather than my Amnesia leader cracking off!

I did use TFG clear looped leaders for a while, they have a fused loop, even with them I would uni knot through and down the loop. Using large rubber beads I was sure if I smashed off, the rig and beads could be ejected.

I do think that if you have to use a leader, that a helicopter set-up where the beads and rig can be ejected (never the lead) is safer than a lead clip. If you do use a lead clip then the lead MUST be able to be ejected if you smash up. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29 August 2020 at 18:22, fangus15 said:

Watched dvd 

Loop knot leave open  then twist 3/4 times around line back through loop knot wet and  pull tighten .

Sounds like what has become known as The Rapala knot.

I use it on Amnesia and coated braid if I want a loop.

With coated braid though the loop knot does become just a doubled length of line after playing a fish, so will likely need changing hooklink if you want the loop for the freedom of hooklink and movement.