Undertow

Carpmaster

I'm fishing a parc lake 36 acres depth ranging from 2_18 ft not flat bottom some rocky some sandy silt areas heavily weeded, now one particular spot can only be reached from 2 swims 98yrds from 1 swim 47yrds from the other its clean 7ft deep   I've fished it from the 98yrd swim felt it down held my rod up to make sure the line behind my leader is sunk, it's a windy venue and if I'm set up for that distance is a tension arm at the very max without moving the lead    I receive single bleeps on my siren  but not all the time to acociate it to wind   is this undertow in effect and would a backlead help even tho they hinder bite detection

At 98 yards you can fish your lines bow-string tight and the last 30 yards + will be pinned anyway mate. Past 60 yards water pressure pins the lines. If I was you 'd go uber-tight - so tight that a single bleep can mean only one thing (a fish).

Backleads at distance with rocks and weed in the equation is suicide imo buddy.

It has been a very long time since I went to school but if I remember my Physics lessons correctly, the line is not held down by water pressure. Water pressure acts in all directions on the surface of the line so there is as much upward pressure as downward pressure. For example, when you weigh yourself, you do not have to allow for changing atmospheric pressure.

Depending on the type of line being used, water pressure could reduce its buoyancy by compressing the material slightly. However, I agree with Yonny, very tight lines are the way to go.

Edited by carpepecheur

20 minutes ago, carpepecheur said:

Water pressure acts in all directions on the surface of the line so there is as much upward pressure as downward pressure.

This makes perfect sense. I was quoting Nick Helleur who is hardly a physicist (lol). I am inclined to agree with you.

But the fact about lines being pinned past 60 yards is just that - a fact.

Who knows how/why? I guess line has weight, simple as that.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Who knows how/why? I guess line has weight, simple as that.

Yes you are correct. It is the catenary effect and it becomes more significant with heavier line. As a surveyor, when we wanted to measure a distance accurately, we needed to measure the tension in the tape, know its weight and do a complicated calculation to work out a correction to take off the measured distance due to sag. A stretched line will always sag a bit. 

On 08/07/2020 at 18:23, Carpmaster said:

I'm fishing a parc lake 36 acres depth ranging from 2_18 ft not flat bottom some rocky some sandy silt areas heavily weeded, now one particular spot can only be reached from 2 swims 98yrds from 1 swim 47yrds from the other its clean 7ft deep   I've fished it from the 98yrd swim felt it down held my rod up to make sure the line behind my leader is sunk, it's a windy venue and if I'm set up for that distance is a tension arm at the very max without moving the lead    I receive single bleeps on my siren  but not all the time to acociate it to wind   is this undertow in effect and would a backlead help even tho they hinder bite detection

You might find that some of the single bleeps are actually fish bumping into the line before it is along the bottom, where it 'pings' as they catch up with it on their fins. Tench, bream, carp even pike can give liners. 

The other possibility is that at the longer range, it could be a proper take. I have had my Delkims give only a couple of bleeps at 100metres, yet the fish had moved a fair distance. 

Nylon monofilament at long range could well be stretched, under tension; you have tried to tighten to the lead, the line is slightly elastic. You will remove the bow, and stretch the line. 

The 'semi-tight' affect in my mind is you giving enough slack to allow the line to go back to the non-stretched state. 

At any long distance you want the line as tight as possible, and even with that, I think that at around 60metres, the line above the lead will be running on the lake bed (did someone mention catenary effect). 

Possibly, dependant on rules, you might find at distance, braid is a better bet, there is minimal stretch (around 1-2%).

Undertow itself does not necessarily go directly against the wind, bars, islands and plateau's can change its direction, but it can definitely mess up your baiting and line lay. It can be bringing lumps of weed against the line, 'bleep', or moving the line and lead if it is strong enough.