Need advice

Hi, been fishing a new venue the last few weeks (shillinglee). I've done 3 days on there now (45 hours) and have blanked. I've tried different hook baits. I've tried bottom bait hair rig, soft hinge rig and semi stiff hinge rig. All on helicopters. The lake is quite silty the whole way through. Its quite low stock maybe 50-75 fish in an 8 acre lake. Ive tried fishing on the silt and on hard drops.

Wondering if you have any rig advice or tactics for a venue like this.

11 hours ago, jamiemurphy777 said:

Hi, been fishing a new venue the last few weeks (shillinglee). I've done 3 days on there now (45 hours) and have blanked. I've tried different hook baits. I've tried bottom bait hair rig, soft hinge rig and semi stiff hinge rig. All on helicopters. The lake is quite silty the whole way through. Its quite low stock maybe 50-75 fish in an 8 acre lake. Ive tried fishing on the silt and on hard drops.

Wondering if you have any rig advice or tactics for a venue like this.

Welcome to Carp.com.

The most important thing on any water is finding the fish. It can be a lot easier on smaller waters than bigger waters to find them. On 8 acres I would imagine you can see most of the lake, if you see anything showing get on it. That may mean just casting to them, or it may mean moving swims and getting to the right spot.

Don't confuse yourself over rigs. Get faith in one rig, put it in the right place. The same with bait. If you have faith in your bait, fish with it on the hook, and just a small bag, mesh or stringer. No need to pile it in.

Make sure you get best indication, and be prepared to watch the water and line. With helicopter rigs, something I have found, you may need to hit single bleeps, you might not get proper runs. The carp can move the rig a long way with no movement on your indicator, and if you are fishing with roller wheel buzzers it might not make any noise at all!

On 07/07/2020 at 20:22, jamiemurphy777 said:

On my first session right at the beginning of the day I saw 4 carp on the surface, cast to them and nothing come of it. The other two sessions I've been casting to fizzing and again nothings come of that.

When you say " casting to fizzing " are you landing your bait right on the fizzing , or trying to  anticipate the path the fizzing is going to take and placing your bait further along that path ? .

In the perfect world you would have your rig in place and the fizzing would come to you , and then if you weren't getting any bites you could start twiddling with your bait and / or rigs .

😃

If I see any "fizzing" I'll try to anticipate the path of it. I'll then cast as quietly as I can about 10-12 feet further ahead of where I think it's heading, and fire just a few baits out between the fizz and where my bait landed.
And then I'll sit on my hands for as long as it takes.
Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. But that's what makes it fun.

Edited by smufter