Korda krank hooks

I guess the hook size and weight of lead will probably make a difference ie bigger hook needs more weight to penetrate the lip and smaller sharper thinner gauge hooks for lighter leads, 

Just my thoughts not based on solid fact, but it would make sense to scale it all down if you are using light leads, or up if you are using shark hooks 😉

4 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I guess the hook size and weight of lead will probably make a difference ie bigger hook needs more weight to penetrate the lip and smaller sharper thinner gauge hooks for lighter leads, 

Just my thoughts not based on solid fact, but it would make sense to scale it all down if you are using light leads, or up if you are using shark hooks 😉

So in your opinion if I am using a size 4 krank is a 2.5oz lead really enough? I've opted for this lead size as I use 2.75tc rods and find it a nice weight for casting also gives me room to play with if I want to use a solid bag so that I'm not casting something overweight for the rod

1 hour ago, pablo7uk said:

So in your opinion if I am using a size 4 krank is a 2.5oz lead really enough? I've opted for this lead size as I use 2.75tc rods and find it a nice weight for casting also gives me room to play with if I want to use a solid bag so that I'm not casting something overweight for the rod

With a small bag and a 3oz lead you would be casting about 3.6oz tops I think which shouldn't be asking too much for the rod I don't think, it depends on what rig you are using my bag rig is simple and it works, supple hook link, size 4 curve shank tied kd style and a little kicker, this is mainly for wafters though but I think it's a better bag presentation personally, 

Bit maybe it wouldn't hurt to go smaller, I tend to sharpen my hooks so that helps prick the fish but I rarely use anything less than 3oz these days 

15918214704644677924591504455132.jpg

39 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

With a small bag and a 3oz lead you would be casting about 3.6oz tops I think which shouldn't be asking too much for the rod I don't think, it depends on what rig you are using my bag rig is simple and it works, supple hook link, size 4 curve shank tied kd style and a little kicker, this is mainly for wafters though but I think it's a better bag presentation personally, 

Bit maybe it wouldn't hurt to go smaller, I tend to sharpen my hooks so that helps prick the fish but I rarely use anything less than 3oz these days 

15918214704644677924591504455132.jpg

Adding a kicker to a KD surely defeats its purpose it just makes it a hair rig

6 hours ago, framey said:

Adding a kicker to a KD surely defeats its purpose it just makes it a hair rig

It does a little but it seems to tangle less and still pushes the hair out the side of the hook, I found I was hooking them in the scissors quite a lot with a normal kd set up so I tried this little kicker and it now turns better 

18 hours ago, elmoputney said:

IMG_20200610_214800.thumb.jpg.b2b4539f5659892cfb445d4af8260cb3.jpg

I was having a little play with mouth trap the other night, this is the first rig I've tied using a krank chod type hook where I can see the benefit of the hook, and in my head this rig will work well 

Like the look of this! Would you consider using this as a bag rig as well as chod/helicopter style?

Personally I've always found 2.5oz to be a good size but then again I haven't fished with size 4 hooks for long and haven't really fished many big fish venues yet. Only time will tell I guess.

56 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

Like the look of this! Would you consider using this as a bag rig as well as chod/helicopter style?

Personally I've always found 2.5oz to be a good size but then again I haven't fished with size 4 hooks for long and haven't really fished many big fish venues yet. Only time will tell I guess.

this is the stiff part of a hinged stuff rig, it's not the one for a bag will sit far too high I think, if you want to use a pop up in a bag I would still keep it simple and just add some shot to a simple rig and check the presentation and that it doesn't sit too high above, which is why I like a wafter as it looks like a part of the mix not a beacon on top of it,

my thoughts on bags are that all Ingredients can be sucked in together at once, then hopefully the hook sticks In the lip as it lifts off, I don't think you need a complicated rig in a bag as the surrounding bait is all part of the appeal, 

I don't think 2.5oz is a deal breaker tbh just make sure your hooks are sharp,