Nick's rigs.

salokcinnodrog

Just a couple of pretty simple rigs I use. 

The hair is tied to the rig ring, so I can change the length if I need to. 

I suppose strictly speaking not basic, but pretty simple.

(Dave Chilton) Kryston Snakebite, line aligned and a sliding ring on the shank with a double 20mm KMG bottom bait on the hair.

The second rig is a Kryston Merlin to Amnesia combi-link, again line aligned, sliding ring on the shank and a snowman 20mm KMG and a 15mm Garlic spice pop-up.

While the leads are on run rings, because of undertow I do tend to fish tight lines IMG_20200604_103248.thumb.jpg.40f198c211a3ba2488b7dbc42ada2add.jpg

1 hour ago, pablo7uk said:

What hook size out of interest?

On a separate note...I haven't used a running rig for years haha but I'll have to later this year as I'm planning on fishing a venue with catfish!!

When I fish a snowman rig say 18mm or 20mm bottom bait with 14mm (I think)pop up I use a size 4 curve shank, have used 6s but prefer 4s with that size bait. Works for me, but I do think it’s always good to experiment a bit 😁👍

6 hours ago, pablo7uk said:

What hook size out of interest?

On a separate note...I haven't used a running rig for years haha but I'll have to later this year as I'm planning on fishing a venue with catfish!!

That looks like a Solar 101 size 6.

Running lead with a tight line is also known as a bolt rig. I think it is page 115 in Kevin Maddocks Carp Fever, a rig between 3-9inches.

I don't like lead clips at all, so I prefer to use run rings wherever possible.

4 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

That looks like a Solar 101 size 6.

Running lead with a tight line is also known as a bolt rig. I think it is page 115 in Kevin Maddocks Carp Fever, a rig between 3-9inches.

I don't like lead clips at all, so I prefer to use run rings wherever possible.

With a run ring rig setup wouldn't you lose the self hooking properties associated with a lead clip setup? Or does the end rig still serve its purpose in that respect? 

11 hours ago, pablo7uk said:

With a run ring rig setup wouldn't you lose the self hooking properties associated with a lead clip setup? Or does the end rig still serve its purpose in that respect? 

I don't think that a lead clip offers the 'best' self hooking properties anyway, and a running lead with slack line or run ring with a tight line is different to what most anglers fish. 

Lead clips allow the fish to use the lead to get rid of the rig. If they are used to being hooked on (as an example) 6 inch hooklengths, then I have seen fish move no more than 6 inches and suck and blow until the hook is ejected. 

With the run ring, the lead slides back up the line not giving the fish anything to use.