Snag fishing

Lumeymorris

Guy there's a swim on my lake that has a good set of snag in and just so happens to be on the be corner of the lake so as you can imagine it's the perfect spot for the fish to hold up in and boy do they I'm talking like groups of 10-20 fish some being good 30s!! But of course if you fish it tight you get bites but stand a real good chance in losing them which I don't want to do!! So I thought I'll try something different and fish short of the snags and found a lovely spot but fear it's to far from them. So was wondering how you guys would go about fishing snags yourself and how to draw the out!!!

So long as your line is not crossing anything too snaggy and it's clear up to the snags you want to fish too it should be ok to fish locked up and sit near your rods there is a very good chance they will try for cover on a run but if you can hold them even for a brief second they will turn to slack line and head for open water and boy does a 20lb fish fight when it makes a run you will need to slacken the drag and let it run it does depend on the snags though with the right line rushes and reeds are fine I've strimmed a fair few when the fish has got into the reed bed a bit. sunken branches and tree roots i'd stay away from.

It's good to have a solid set up with rear rod grips that lock and a set of waders to bait spots and hand drop rigs if you can make your way around  the margin areas.

Edited by Carpbell_ll

Well these snags are fallen trees although it's pretty clear underneath although there are the odd branch under the surface and depending how you fish it one side sticks out further than the other so can always lose you on that which is why I've gone short so that no matter what way the fish goes it can't reach the snag! Well that's the plan anyway!! And I'm fishing locked up of course as I use to love snag fishing but these were doubles/twenties where here there 20-40 so am a bit paranoid about fishing to tight. Normally I'll try get as tight as I can but somethings telling me nooo but my body's my body's  tellings me yesssss.. lool

Better to be safe. 

If you don't think you can fish to them safely, then you are doing exactly the right thing, trying to draw them out. 

Fishing to snags, as @Carpbell_ll has said, you need to be set locked up, and on your rods. No leaving them unattended!

I prefer pointing the rods directly at the snag, no bent round tips as that can be enough for the carp to pull the rod over the alarms and take it into the drink. 

The theory is not giving any line, the fish arc away from the snags on the take. 

I fish near to locked up most of the time due to the waters i fish being smallish with lots of weed beds little island bars and that, don't want to sound like some crazy dude that don't fish open water, i do like far bank margins though and to be honest most of the time it pays not to get to close the bottom of the rising slope is always a good spot.