2.75 vs 3.00 test curve

I'm currently looking for a new set of rods, my current rods are 3lb tc and I would say they have quite a fast action for 3lbers, but I've always wanted some 2.75s, the waters I'm targeting of late and for the foreseeable are not huge so range is not factor but they do contain some monster cats and although I'm not actively targeting them a hook up with one is always a possibility, would I be in trouble with 2.75s, I've always believed you can apply more pressure to fish with a lower tc rod but I'm not entirely sure if this is the case, can anyone shed a little more light on this please. 

32 minutes ago, Bob Megadrive said:

monster cats....... would I be in trouble with 2.75s

Even with a 3 lb rod you'd have very little control mate. Cat rods are around the 4.5 - 6 lb tc range. Imo you'd have next to no control whatsoever with a 2.75, but that doesn't necessarily mean you wouldn't land them depending on the characteristics of the lake.

• 1 month later...

I'm the opposite - I have 2x 2.75 rods and my 3rd is 3lb. Same rods (Greys Prodigy) but the 3lb'er definitely makes a bit of difference when it comes to chucking a lead at range. I got 2 rods @ 2.75 because I figured they'd feel a bit better playing a fish. The taper on all 3 rods being the same model is the same, not tip only but say the last 6ft will have an healthy bend when playing a fish. I see so many folks though on the lakes I fish using 3+ plus rods (often 3.5lb) and they also seem to be fast tapered rods and as a consequence I watch people playing fish on 'em sometimes and the rod is barely bending. Like sea fishing boat rods! I prefer a rod that has a more compound taper and bends a lot, rather than an out and out casting stick. I do agree for certain places where you are usually fishing at long range then these casting sticks are necessary...but so far I've mangaged to do without them and I like the way my rods feel and bend when I have a carp lunging in the margins or at close range.