Beginner question - Ready rigs

‘Carpy’ Diem

50 minutes ago, conway301084 said:

Hey guys - quick Q. As I’m starting out, I’m using ready rigs from korda. What’s the recommended amount of time you can use rig before you consider binning it? They cost a few quid each so want to get most out of it before I buy more ...

You will get a variety of answers to that, but as with all rigs it's all about the condition of the hook as that will be first to go as it gets dull, you can sharpen the hook and it will be good to go again, plenty of videos on hook sharpening, and you can get fine gage files from the pound shop that will the job no need to spend on carp brand files.

To be fair there are a lot better options for easy rig making, try the booms by korda or gemini, you can add and remove the hooks at a lot cheaper rate than pre tied rigs. if you learn to tie a simple blow back rig with soft braid you can tie that to a boom loop giving you a very good combi rig and making up the ronnie rig is very easy with a quick link boom. save some money in the long run. 

4 hours ago, conway301084 said:

Hey guys - quick Q. As I’m starting out, I’m using ready rigs from korda. What’s the recommended amount of time you can use rig before you consider binning it? They cost a few quid each so want to get most out of it before I buy more ...

Regularly check the rig and hook for damage. That means the hook must be sharp, and the hooklink itself should not be frayed, scraped or abraded.

Here is a personal insight for you: I never found Korda hooks as sharp as some other brands like Gardner or ESP. On one of my own tied rigs, using an ESP hook, I landed a number of fish from a couple of waters, until I damaged the hook by catching it on a tree. By number of fish, the first fish was 20lb+, from Merrington, then I think 6 or 7 more from a water local to me in Suffolk.