Daiwa 5000t capacity

Can I ask a genuine question please? 

I still use my diawa emcast evos 5500 big pit reels and I absolutely love them tbh they don't seem to let me down or hinder me in any way, how much better is a 5000t? Than a cheaper diawa reel? 

I understand they will make it with better higher end parts but I wonder how much difference it actually makes to your fishing? 

This isn't meant as a Diss or anything BTW I've just never used any really expensive reels and have always wondered what they would be like, and I can't see Mrs Putney let me find out anytime soon 😁

18 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I still use my diawa emcast evos 5500 big pit reels and I absolutely love them tbh they don't seem to let me down

That's all you can ask mate.

That's the strong point with the tournies too - they don't let you down. The're not balanced that well, they creak and squeek, they're heavy, clunky, noisy..... but they go on and on and on forever. A workhorse in every sense of the word.

They're not that expensive either tbh. SS3's hold there value as they don't make them anymore but a decent set of 2nd hand 5000t's can be had for 350 quid odd. That's a hell of a lot of reel for the money. I have seen guys with tournies that are used week-in-week-out for literally 20 years and haven't been serviced. They're invincible.

If you're happy with the Emcasts there's no need to change buddy. I've never used them so couldn't compare them to the tournies in terms of use.

25 minutes ago, yonny said:

That's all you can ask mate.

That's the strong point with the tournies too - they don't let you down. The're not balanced that well, they creak and squeek, they're heavy, clunky, noisy..... but they go on and on and on forever. A workhorse in every sense of the word.

They're not that expensive either tbh. SS3's hold there value as they don't make them anymore but a decent set of 2nd hand 5000t's can be had for 350 quid odd. That's a hell of a lot of reel for the money. I have seen guys with tournies that are used week-in-week-out for literally 20 years and haven't been serviced. They're invincible.

If you're happy with the Emcasts there's no need to change buddy. I've never used them so couldn't compare them to the tournies in terms of use.

Thanks yonny

I think that's the thing I like is the reliability with mine I've not greased mine or anything and they still work a treat tbh, I used one of them as a spod reel for a couple of years as well they are probably 20 years old but they got a few gap years, line lay is perfect, I guess it all comes down to diawa quality, I got a [censored]mano bait runner last year for my barbel rod spooled it twice and both times the line lay is shocking and it feels poor quality haven't used it properly yet 😳

If I was to change I would certainly stick with diawa, I do like the idea of quick drag but I am way past needing a free spool, maybe one day I will service them 😁

My mate has the emcast Evo and has had them for about 12 years. Never let him down. I had the emcast advanced (as I liked the wooden handle) and they were brilliant also. Got a good deal on the 5000t’s only reason I changed about 7 years ago. Still going strong and never been serviced. 

by the way Daiwa have just emailed me back after 3 days and apparently the spool capacity with the reducer is written on the spool (other side to without reducer). I don’t remember seeing this so will have a check when I get in later 

4 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I've not greased mine or anything and they still work a treat tbh, I used one of them as a spod reel for a couple of years as well they are probably 20 years old but they got a few gap years, line lay is perfect, I guess it all comes down to diawa quality

They don't make them like they used to mate.

5 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I do like the idea of quick drag but I am way past needing a free spool

I don't like QD. My SS3's were QD''d when I got them. Only bought the 5000T's to tide me over when I got the SS3's un-QD'd lol. The standard tourny drag is brilliant imo, no need to mess with it.

7 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

maybe one day I will service them

Nah, let them die so Mrs Putney has to let you get some tournies lol.

6 minutes ago, Dalb77 said:

by the way Daiwa have just emailed me back after 3 days and apparently the spool capacity with the reducer is written on the spool (other side to without reducer).

So that's two of us that can't read then lol.......

I can't recall seeing that either mate.

2 minutes ago, yonny said:

They don't make them like they used to mate.

I don't like QD. My SS3's were QD''d when I got them. Only bought the 5000T's to tide me over when I got the SS3's un-QD'd lol. The standard tourny drag is brilliant imo, no need to mess with it.

Nah, let them die so Mrs Putney has to let you get some tournies lol.

So that's two of us that can't read then lol.......

I can't recall seeing that either mate.

That's good to know there is nothing wrong with the drag just thought qd may be better but if it isn't I am not missing out 😁

As for Mrs Putney not telling her is the best policy 😁

Just hide it in the house and when they find it just say oh this old thing ive had it years 

thats what they do to us...

im lucky my mrs is an angler 

if I fancy a new set of rods/reels I just say I’ll buy them for you..

now we have 3 grandsons I get to buy even more lol “it’s their inheritance dear”or “well they need to have their own for when we take them.”

I find that one works bests of all now