Waterproofing bivvies

I've used Fabsil (normal) on my brolly and overwrap. I did it and forgot about it until a storm come in one day. The sort of day when you get a belt of rain for a second and then a blast of wind the next. I was outside the brolly in the pouring rain watching the rain bead onto the material and then get flicked off by the wind in fascination! Needless to say, I was pretty impressed. I did buy some Gold for next time but haven't used it yet. I also used a cleaning solution first and let it dry and am sure that definitely helped.

2 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

I've used Fabsil (normal) on my brolly and overwrap. I did it and forgot about it until a storm come in one day. The sort of day when you get a belt of rain for a second and then a blast of wind the next. I was outside the brolly in the pouring rain watching the rain bead onto the material and then get flicked off by the wind in fascination! Needless to say, I was pretty impressed. I did buy some Gold for next time but haven't used it yet. I also used a cleaning solution first and let it dry and am sure that definitely helped.

Cheers mate.

Spray or tin?

23 minutes ago, dayvid said:

I use Fabsil , not used the Gold ,for no other reason than Gold is more expensive, next time ill clean the fabric first though

That's why I was asking mate.

If the fabsil normal does the job then I can save myself a few quid .

Edited by muftyboy

6 hours ago, muftyboy said:

Evening gents.

I've finally kept a bivvie long enough to have to re proof it.

So what's the best one to use?.

Fabsil always comes up but is the fabsil gold any better?.

Cheers guys.

I use the plain Fabsil, either spray or tin.

In my case it is always done on the bank when fishing. The spray is two cans per bivvy, or a tin is enough for brolly and overwrap. I use a brush, but have heard a sponge is better.

9 hours ago, muftyboy said:

Cheers mate.

Spray or tin?

Tin. Use the spray and you'll lose a lot.

6 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I use the plain Fabsil, either spray or tin.

In my case it is always done on the bank when fishing. The spray is two cans per bivvy, or a tin is enough for brolly and overwrap. I use a brush, but have heard a sponge is better.

I used a rag and really worked in it.

I have always used Fabsil Gold...not just for waterproofing, as Gold also stops the fading due to the Sun's UV rays.

You can use it straight in neat, but I've also used 5ltr Fabsil to 1ltr water.

Make sure it's a good dry day to let it all take affect.

Personally I use a BIG sponge and work my way from top to bottom, like washing ure car.

But yeh, make sure bivvy/brolly is clean and dry before starting.