understanding oil?

Teo

Hi,

My question today is, can you use too much oil and does oil work only at certain temperatures. I tried the night at eatser, with it being minus 4 in the night and my boilies and pellets covered in oil, i had no bites all night, but when i used an oil-less mix, i caught almost instantly/: was this a coincidence or was it the oil putting them off.]

Thanks

Some oils are lighter and more suitable for cold water conditions as the thicker stuff conceals. Things like hemp oil are suitable for cold weather and I use a salmon oil in the summer but don't go overboard. On another note, I use a tin of tuna in my ground bait mix I use to plug my spods to give it a really fishy tang, I use the brine version in the winter and oil in the summer.

2 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

Some oils are lighter and more suitable for cold water conditions as the thicker stuff conceals. Things like hemp oil are suitable for cold weather and I use a salmon oil in the summer but don't go overboard. On another note, I use a tin of tuna in my ground bait mix I use to plug my spods to give it a really fishy tang, I use the brine version in the winter and oil in the summer.

I have salmon oil by CCmoore, how much would you reccomend using ( i fish short sessions with pva)

thanks

2 hours ago, Teo said:

I have salmon oil by CCmoore, how much would you reccomend using ( i fish short sessions with pva)

thanks

Believe it or not I would only add 10ml of fish oil into a kilo of boilies. I don't think oils in baits are as effective as other liquids.

They are beneficial on floaters, and in small amounts in your groundbait, but I don't think provide as much attraction as water soluble liquids.

On 19/07/2019 at 20:27, Teo said:

can you use too much oil and does oil work

There is a common belief that oil adds no value to a bait (in terms of attraction).

Oil is not water soluble and therefore cannot be detected by carp until it is in contact with the head and mouth i.e. as the bait is being "tasted" during consumption. Carp cannot "smell" the oil from afar, they simply don't have the tools. With this in mind, if you coat boilies with oil you are potentially locking in all the soluble attractors, preventing them from escaping into the water and being detected by Mr carp.

I don't know if I am in agreement with the theory above but I don't use a lot of oil anyway. Oil benefits bait in other ways (nutrition for example) but attraction is king for me.

A decent fish or liver hydroslate would always be my preference for coating boilies.