Choosing a new rod and reel

Hi I have not been fishing for a good few years and not sure about a reel more than anything

I’m looking to get a Daiwa black widow g50 tc 2.75 as I have read that over 3 tc can be overkill but I am looking at Shimano Baitrunner ST RB reel

should I get 6000rb or 10000rb version?and does anyone know if that is a good reel? 

My alternative is Shimano Baitrunner DL Reel 

thanks 

On 06/06/2019 at 20:55, Ms1005 said:

Hi I have not been fishing for a good few years and not sure about a reel more than anything

I’m looking to get a Daiwa black widow g50 tc 2.75 as I have read that over 3 tc can be overkill but I am looking at Shimano Baitrunner ST RB reel

should I get 6000rb or 10000rb version?and does anyone know if that is a good reel? 

My alternative is Shimano Baitrunner DL Reel 

thanks 

Hello  MS , welcome to the forum .

I'm surprised no one has answered your question , perhaps you could help ,  Nick , as a Shimano man ? .

😃

Hi, 

You can't go wrong with shimano. I've used them since starting up carping a few years ago. 

I have the aero xt 10000, a bit pricey at £170,but I love how they look n feel, nice balance on my rods. My spod reel is shimmy. XTRLC or whatever, similar price, but very good reels.

My fishing mate has the rb's, very similar and equally efficient.  My advice is to buy the best you can afford mate, as with most things. 

It would depend on the type of fishing you plan to do, long range you may want a bigger spool, so look at pit type over baitrunner. 

As mentioned above, it's going to boil down to the type of fishing you are likely to be doing. Big pits are going to be absolutely no use at all to you if you are only casting 40/50 yards with small baits or flicking a dog biscuit out. 

Give us a little more information and we'll help you decide.

😉

Edited by smufter

If you want to balance the rod to the reel the 10000 size is likely to be better.

The 6000 is quite a bit smaller. The line capacity of the 10000 with 0.35mm 15lb line means you likely won't cast much above 90metres. If you do need to cast further look at Big Pits.

The ST range of reels I have used, and I would say I'm not sure the extra money of the DL's is going to make much difference. I bought DL10000's  for myself a few years ago when the DL's were first available, on my 2.75 tc rods. I don't think much of some of the build quality, but that is modern Shimano.

I managed to bend reel handle grips, the handles themselves seem softer metal, and I bent somehow the central pin the spool mounts on, but I do use and abuse my gear. Saying that on the original Aero baitrunners I had, they got the same treatment and I never bent or broke them.

Shimano reels as I said, seem to have dropped in quality. If you do want good reels now the mid price range in Shimano is not the best buy.

The bottom price bracket, then the £100+ price is the place to go. Basically check and feel everything.