Stiff Hinge Knot Help

Guest Dez Animaux

Guest Dez Animaux

Please put this to bed

Does a knotless somehow slightly compromise a chod/stiff hinged section whilst a Domhoff (Whipping Knot) is somehow better? Or does it make zero difference, or is a knotless in fact better.

I am not one for flash rigs and am very traditionalist/minimalist but I like the idea of a stiff hinged rig as that particular rig is one I sort of ''get'' and would like to experiment with, I will certainly never use a swivel on my hook but MAY stretch to a small, neat rig ring and a bit of floss.

Cheers

Guest Dez Animaux

Thanks mate might just stick to what I know as the whipping knot is horrible to tie, especially with thick materials, I'm on Size.6 Fox SRs which are fairly large anyway..

Tiny bit of shrink tube is all you need to stop the all important (centimetre or two) of line which is exiting the hook eye from closing the gape up anyway!

Edited by Dez Animaux

It was down to the size of the eye of the hook in relation to the hooklink material which was best. Terry Hearn was using a thick hooklink material which would not go through a size 5/6 ESP hook, so he started using the Whipping knot.

Guest Dez Animaux

ESP (i.e Drennan) have terribly behind the times tiny eyes, as a rule

So that doesn't surprise me in the least

I would be interested in a close up, anyway, about what difference it makes in the very slightest, as I suspect none whatsoever

3 hours ago, Dean O'Baggio said:

With stiff monos use a tiny bit of superglue on the knot after you have tightened it, this way you can a) stop the knot sliding around on the hook shank and b) set the angle of the line how you want it coming out of the eye.. And use a decent glue like the guy said who was talking about 'Zap' glue, I use that as well it's brilliant..

I'm not a fan of shrink tube like somebody else mentioned, it creates a little edge to hinder the travel of the rig along the carp's lips, I cringe at the big pieces people put on their rigs, some of them closing the gape up so much they must love blanking!

PS don't glue fluorocarbon it doesn't like it, weakens it apparently

Superglue weakens mono and also prevents the knot moving at all, increasing the risk of breaking😉

Far better to be 100% on getting knots right and testing them.

10 minutes ago, Dean O'Baggio said:

Got proof of that have you?

Done tests?

Not true, and besides even if it were you're never going to weaken a stiff link chod type material enough to break it, the most popular BS of this stuff being around 25lb

Done tests?

Yes!

Has it also been published in articles?

Yes.

Ever heard of a gentleman called Dave Chilton?

Check some of his articles or a couple of the Kryston DVD's out. He has most definitely researched it and published his findings.

12 minutes ago, Dean O'Baggio said:

The quoting feature of this site malfunctions.. I did not write the tripe above, but here's my response:

If you ever use a real superglue you will realise they are NOT the same, they vary enormously in quality

And I will pass on the Kryston, as I said it's horrible stuff.

New profile then. What was the problem? Didn’t like the username Des Animaux? 

8 minutes ago, Dean O'Baggio said:

So I reiterate:

WHAT are you on about?

You had a whole conversation with yourself, disagreeing with and contradicting yourself. The quote box has your name because you typed it. 

You state you started using kryston in the early 90s and love it. Then quoted yourself and said it’s stinky winky 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ 

This must surely be a wind up now 

4 minutes ago, Dean O'Baggio said:

For the FINAL time

If you just scroll up you will see that Salickonodrojhasdjhwegv wrote the stuff that appeared mistakenly as a quote by me

I scrolled up. You basically quoted what you typed in your own post? I can see it on my screen.

6 minutes ago, Dean O'Baggio said:

It's not my fault if the site has the same functionality as your brain cells

I mean the site must work pretty well then 😂😂

you can insult my intelligence all you want but I know how to work the site and you don’t 🤣

5 hours ago, Dean O'Baggio said:

The quoting feature of this site malfunctions.. I did not write the tripe above, but here's my response:

If you ever use a real superglue you will realise they are NOT the same, they vary enormously in quality

And I will pass on the Kryston, as I said it's horrible stuff.

The quote feature of this site does not malfunction, everyone else seems to know how to use it, and I know at least 2 of us know how to do multiple quotes, with our replies in between.

Protonmail?

Deanobaggio@protonmail.com, or dezanimeaux@protonmail, strange that😉