Kamakura hooks

16 hours ago, commonly said:

From what I've seen you do very well and I'm guessing you have a good head of fish to go for on your water. 

My decent syndi is 9 acre with only 32 known fish. My targets are the 4-5 Redmire strain commons, all 30+. I'm intending to use Scopex Squid next time out, +  kamakura's😉. I only get the odd 48 sesh. I want to maximize my chances anyway possible. I've only had a small stocky so far, better than some but the weekly lads do 6-10 a season. I'm confident in the rig I caught on, but would like to try something new on the other rod(2 rod only) which I always try something different with. Which rig would you suggest, known spots in each swim & 3-4ft canadian everywhere else!!! 

If allowed....... zigs !

There was talk of banning them when the lake record died pre spawning, but I'd be OK. 

I've not had a lot of luck with them. The drop lead rule kind makes it all a bit gangly! I've tried the fox & Korda systems, but don't feel too confident in them. I make my own with a bit of tubing and anti tangle sleeve.

I hate the thought of there being a snag in the weed, if the lead didn't drop, it could end up just smacking the fish. 

16 hours ago, commonly said:

The drop lead rule kind makes it all a bit gangly! I've tried the fox & Korda systems, but don't feel too confident in them.

Not sure what you mean by this buddy.

If you have to drop the lead then go for the MCF Dumper lead clips, they're great for zigs. When you cast, whack an old pop up in pva mesh on the hook, it'll add weight to the hookbait and prevent tangles. Also, don't use any tubing/leader etc, go naked straight to the lead clip, prevent tangles even further. Use the longest anti tangle sleeves you can find too. Fox do some good'n's.

As for the fox/korda systems, do you mean the adjustable systems? I avoid them unless I really need them, they're not very friendly to use. If your zigs are 12 ft + you need them however. @nigewoodcock on here posted a great tip for these - when you hit the clip, don't feel the lead down, just let it fall naturally. Not sure how this works but it did work for me. Tangles stopped. Great tip.

Yes I'm always naked!!! 😉 

I meant the lead drop systems. I use the naked chod beads. Ensuring the rig will go to the swivel when any tension is applied, Swivel, protect the line with anti tangle sleeve wrong way round, with a tail rubber holding it in place on the inline insert. 

I've heard different theories on this, but do fish slack or tight line? 

1 hour ago, commonly said:

Yes I'm always naked!!! 😉 

I meant the lead drop systems. I use the naked chod beads. Ensuring the rig will go to the swivel when any tension is applied, Swivel, protect the line with anti tangle sleeve wrong way round, with a tail rubber holding it in place on the inline insert. 

I've heard different theories on this, but do fish slack or tight line? 

Mega tight with zigs bud. Especially in weed.

I have fished zigs on rotary set ups but imo lead clips are much more effective mate.

3 hours ago, yonny said:

I have fished zigs on rotary set ups but imo lead clips are much more effective mate.

My inline, will drop the lead. & the hook link, tied to the double ring swivel, is cushioned by tail rubber to the swivel, on a take.

Excuse my stupidly, but wouldn't the clip have to be the wrong way round to drop the lead on the zig, helicopter presentation?? 

Or do you mean clips to hold the hook length up the line? 

I appreciate your help, & I'm feeling confident as your respones are in line with my thoughts. 

Now at the business end, pop up? I know some lasso them, I use a fine bait needle & floss, I can't bear the thought it may come loose. the pop ups, I use don't tend to take on water. Still buoyant after 12+ hrs. Sometimes I will whittle them to a dumbell shape. Since this conversation has started, I'm wondering wether to to try zig foam or something different to the norm. 

Any pointers welcome

1 hour ago, yonny said:

I'll put them at the depth I think the carp are, regardless of the weed/substrate buddy.

Noted.

Sorry, I meant the hook link length from ring swivel to hook. I try to get the short, but with my chubby fingers I normally end up around 2-3 inches. 

1 hour ago, commonly said:

Noted.

Sorry, I meant the hook link length from ring swivel to hook. I try to get the short, but with my chubby fingers I normally end up around 2-3 inches. 

You're confusing me lol. The hook length will be as long as it needs to be to put the zig at the depth I believe the carp are.

2-3 inch is not a zig for me. I'd use a hinge stiff rig for that.

7 hours ago, yonny said:

You're confusing me lol. The hook length will be as long as it needs to be to put the zig at the depth I believe the carp are.

2-3 inch is not a zig for me. I'd use a hinge stiff rig for that.

My brain has turned to mush!! Had a week to forget! 

I have been on about chods, since Thursday & there you are offering your wisdom on zigs. My bad, sorry. 

So back on topic, which hook type??

I've tried wide gape, curve shank & chod, but wouldn't be more confident in any of them. 

8 hours ago, chillfactor said:

Various avid zig lights cut up , black & white has to be my favourite,  although I was playing about that day trying to work out what was going  to get a take & that little slice of orange did the trick .

Cracking fish! 

Did you bait the area?