Pva nuggets

Daveyyyyyyyyyyyy

Have just bought a load of bio degradable corn starch  packing peanuts ...as sick of paying a fiver fot a little bag ..my question is are these the same as the gardner ones ..i have read that there is pva peanuts and also starch ones  which I have bought ..they look the same as the gardner ones ..and after researching online I have found thst they do dissolve on water ..but will they dissolve any quicker than the pva ones ..or are they one and the same thing ?? ..Thanks 

They will dissolve in water mate as they are bio degradable however there is no time limit on that, just mean's it'll disappear over time.

Best thing to do mate is to test them, grab a couple Gardner ones and a couple of your ones and thrown them in a tank/bucket of water and see how they compare. Remember it won't be 100% accurate as flow and currents in the lake/river your're fishing will affect the dissolve time a little bit however it'll give you a rough idea.

Or another way to test it and it is a risky way is just go fish with them, put one on your hook and leave it in the water for an hour, reel in and see if it is still on, if it isn't, repeat the process but reel in at 30 mins instead and so on. If it is still on the hook, i'm gonna say they're not worth it.

Personally i would be paranoid of them not dissolving and masking my hook point so i would stick with the ones i Gardner use, which i also use and they seem to last me a while if i'm honest, however i do sometimes cut them in either half's or even thirds so they do last a lot longer. 

Edited by The_Viking_Angler

1 hour ago, Daveyyyyyyyyyyyy said:

Thanks mate I was pretty much sure they was the same thing but wasnt 100 % hence this thread 

hey Davey(with a lot of Y's) my better half is a product tester and we get shed loads of nuggets, i have used them for donks but what i do is cut them down the middle and use them to slow my hook descent down so it trails behind the lead without wrapping, helps with the hook lay too. they pop up to the surface within seconds so i have no worries about them masking the point either.

one word of warning tho, some DO seem to take an age to melt, particularly the coloured ones so take a sample from a batch and do a tank test then stick to the ones that work best for you :lol:

30 minutes ago, cyborx said:

hey Davey(with a lot of Y's) my better half is a product tester and we get shed loads of nuggets, i have used them for donks but what i do is cut them down the middle and use them to slow my hook descent down so it trails behind the lead without wrapping, helps with the hook lay too. they pop up to the surface within seconds so i have no worries about them masking the point either.

one word of warning tho, some DO seem to take an age to melt, particularly the coloured ones so take a sample from a batch and do a tank test then stick to the ones that work best for you :lol:

Nice ..and yes I plan on doing a test in my sink before using and will compare them to the gardener ones I already have ..which incidently are coloured

53 minutes ago, cyborx said:

That’s how I do mine,Julian Cundiff style 😉😬

I've got some carp craze ones, and also bought a box of cheap ones off the bay.

The carp craze ones are really good. The cheap ones pop up to the surface almost immediately. Not good.

I also use two separate colours. Saves any doubt!

Edited by smufter

For a number of years I have been buying Magic Maize from the Early Learning Centre/Mothercare. These dissolve really quickly, even in the depths of winter. And they don't seem to leave any residue on the hook whatsoever.

I also had some parts for our logburner turn up packed in nuggets which work brilliantly. And free!