PVA bags?

PandA698

Hi everyone, I am looking at ways I can get ground bait around my hook and wondered if PVA bags are ok? If so what will I need? Are they easy to set up?

I have looked in to spodding but not only is cost a factor for the rod/reel etc but also the fact I can not say yet whether or not I can hit the same spot with 2 casts so it makes me think that I should consider this in the future and not waste bait and time trying to keep casting to where my hook is.

Thanks

PVA (solid) bags are good because you'll always have a decent presentation, but your rods will need to be able to cope with the weight of a fully laden bag. 

Take a look at Kev Hewitt on youtube, there's a video where he goes through the bags he uses.

I use a 2.5oz inline lead, short supple braided hooklink. The bags I use are ESP''s multi bags, there 120mm x 60mm, just my preference. I use a mixture of different size pellets, mainly small and micro and use either a dumbell boilie or a tiger nut. 

Like I say look up kev hewitt 

4 minutes ago, Gazlaaar said:

PVA (solid) bags are good because you'll always have a decent presentation, but your rods will need to be able to cope with the weight of a fully laden bag. 

Take a look at Kev Hewitt on youtube, there's a video where he goes through the bags he uses.

I use a 2.5oz inline lead, short supple braided hooklink. The bags I use are ESP''s multi bags, there 120mm x 60mm, just my preference. I use a mixture of different size pellets, mainly small and micro and use either a dumbell boilie or a tiger nut. 

Thanks, I will check him out. My rod has a 2.5 or 3lbs TC (I think) its a AK47 Century rod. To be honest I bought it cheap with the reel so don't know a lot about it.

Thanks

3 hours ago, PandA698 said:

Hi everyone, I am looking at ways I can get ground bait around my hook and wondered if PVA bags are ok? If so what will I need? Are they easy to set up?

I have looked in to spodding but not only is cost a factor for the rod/reel etc but also the fact I can not say yet whether or not I can hit the same spot with 2 casts so it makes me think that I should consider this in the future and not waste bait and time trying to keep casting to where my hook is.

Thanks

I fished a water where putting bait out by catapult or spod was banned, every free bait had to be put in by PVA mesh, bags or stringers.

A number of times I was casting PVA's full for 30 minutes or so to get bait around my hookbait, be that stringers etc, and a number of times I had takes within minutes of the last cast of my hookbait and stringer. Stringers as large as 30 boilies!

Century AK47's had a 2.75 tc I think, two tip sections, a 1.75 and a 2.75 that fitted one butt. Quite an old design now! With heavy bags you may find a gentle lob is better than a full on whack cast, and as said it may pay to drop down a lead size or two.

image.jpeg

12 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I fished a water where putting bait out by catapult or spod was banned, every free bait had to be put in by PVA mesh, bags or stringers.

A number of times I was casting PVA's full for 30 minutes or so to get bait around my hookbait, be that stringers etc, and a number of times I had takes within minutes of the last cast of my hookbait and stringer. Stringers as large as 30 boilies!

Century AK47's had a 2.75 tc I think, two tip sections, a 1.75 and a 2.75 that fitted one butt. Quite an old design now! With heavy bags you may find a gentle lob is better than a full on whack cast, and as said it may pay to drop down a lead size or two.

image.jpeg

I have a different rod as well which is a 3lb TC so I may just use that. To be honest I won't be fishing out too far on my 1st few go's so there shouldn't be a need whack it too much. I will try some of the smaller bags and see how I get on. I will eventually buy more gear but for now I need to keep my wife happy lol.

3 hours ago, PandA698 said:

I have a different rod as well which is a 3lb TC so I may just use that. To be honest I won't be fishing out too far on my 1st few go's so there shouldn't be a need whack it too much. I will try some of the smaller bags and see how I get on. I will eventually buy more gear but for now I need to keep my wife happy lol.

I kept my wife happy, so we split up...😖😱

Don't leave any unpackaged PVA in oily pellets, it will slow down the dissolve times, and if left long term, can actually prevent dissolving totally.

Obviously keep your PVA dry, so my advice is always keep it in sealable plastic bags or containers.

You may find different manufacturers or brands of PVA have different dissolve times.

23 hours ago, Gazlaaar said:

I watched a Kev Hewitt video and it was a great help. He explained it really well. I will watch it a couple more time before I go and I reckon I should be ok. I also went with the ESP multi bags you recommend. They were very reasonably priced so was happy to go to them.

Thanks for the advice.

2 hours ago, malcfish said:

Hi you could also try a method feeder very easy and quick way to get feed around your bait. the small korda one 1.5oz is good 3.5oz when loaded.

Work's the same as pva bags and don't melt so can be loaded with anything.

Hi, I will bare that in mind too. I purchased some PVA bags for now so will see how they get on if not the next call will be method feeders.

Thanks

Love the bags, just make sure when your sitting down to do one, everything u need is in hands reach. Maybe just start with pellets in the bag first until you get the hang of it, Smaller the pellets the better. You will mess some up, you will mess up with some baggy bags............just keep practising and once youve got them nailed they are a great tool in your arsenal. I use mine with a 3/4inch ronnie rig in mine and on my curent venue switched my results round!

1 hour ago, Ginger9991 said:

Love the bags, just make sure when your sitting down to do one, everything u need is in hands reach. Maybe just start with pellets in the bag first until you get the hang of it, Smaller the pellets the better. You will mess some up, you will mess up with some baggy bags............just keep practising and once youve got them nailed they are a great tool in your arsenal. I use mine with a 3/4inch ronnie rig in mine and on my curent venue switched my results round!

I am sure I will end up with pellets all over the place at first but I have to learn.

Thanks for the advice.

Plenty of great advice above. 

I use fox bags, tied with Korda tape. I tend to use them only if I'm unsure of the debris or weed on the bottom though. 

If you know it's clear just use pva stocking, it's much quicker, less mess, easier to cast & goes straight on the hook, so if you miss your spot, you can put another one on in seconds. I protect the hook point with a pva nugget. 

On ‎31‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:11, PandA698 said:

Thanks, I will check him out. My rod has a 2.5 or 3lbs TC (I think) its a AK47 Century rod. To be honest I bought it cheap with the reel so don't know a lot about it.

Thanks

Don't forget PandA, there are different sized bags that can be used, or you can half fill a larger bag, if you don't think your rods will take the weight...… Another thing to consider is the current water temperatures... You may need to double bag everything atm, to prevent it melting on the drop, 6ft plus deep, and this can happen. Ok for getting the bait out, but can hamper rig presentation if the bag melts before hitting the deck.....

I find PVA bags a bit fiddly and do mine slightly different. Bottom 1/4 is just groundbait and the rest micro pellet and boilie crumb. I make the bag up,snip the top to make a flap and lick and stick. I can make really solid,compact bags with no lead/hooklink in the way. Give the bag a good piercing then attach to your hooklength via a stringer needle. Groundbait at the bottom to protect the hook point then attach to lead clip. If it’s not too damp you can have one ready made so if you do catch it’s a case of unhook old hooklink,attach new and recast. I’m positive this has nicked me bonus fish when there on a short feeding spell. It’s an old pic but hopefully you’ll get an idea of what I’ve said.

825A9912-2687-4D39-A8CF-186363046B45.png

3 hours ago, B.C. said:

Don't forget PandA, there are different sized bags that can be used, or you can half fill a larger bag, if you don't think your rods will take the weight...… Another thing to consider is the current water temperatures... You may need to double bag everything atm, to prevent it melting on the drop, 6ft plus deep, and this can happen. Ok for getting the bait out, but can hamper rig presentation if the bag melts before hitting the deck.....

I did think about that to be honest. I will just have to test it and see. If its too heavy I will try again with a smaller amount.

Cheers

3 hours ago, snowmanstevo said:

I find PVA bags a bit fiddly and do mine slightly different. Bottom 1/4 is just groundbait and the rest micro pellet and boilie crumb. I make the bag up,snip the top to make a flap and lick and stick. I can make really solid,compact bags with no lead/hooklink in the way. Give the bag a good piercing then attach to your hooklength via a stringer needle. Groundbait at the bottom to protect the hook point then attach to lead clip. If it’s not too damp you can have one ready made so if you do catch it’s a case of unhook old hooklink,attach new and recast. I’m positive this has nicked me bonus fish when there on a short feeding spell. It’s an old pic but hopefully you’ll get an idea of what I’ve said.

825A9912-2687-4D39-A8CF-186363046B45.png

Thanks for the advice. It looks like a good way so I will give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...

like most methods you will find that no two anglers will use pva in exactly the same way, i personally use the Fox Rapide solid bag system.

the bag is first layered with a nut based flour such as peanut/almond flour and the lead and hook dipped in the same, lower the hookbait in and tap it down with the lead, add a small layer of fine pellets and lay the lead on top then top up the bag with pellets, crumb or whatever your choice of bait.

gently ease your lead up in the bag till the A/T sleeve is just poking up then seal the bag, fold down bottom corners and stick, job done.

i use a 2.75 T/C rod with a 2.5oz lead and this casts quite nicely out to C75yds.

heres how its done, just F/F to 2:18 to skip the jargon :lol:

1 hour ago, cyborx said:

like most methods you will find that no two anglers will use pva in exactly the same way, i personally use the Fox Rapide solid bag system.

the bag is first layered with a nut based flour such as peanut/almond flour and the lead and hook dipped in the same, lower the hookbait in and tap it down with the lead, add a small layer of fine pellets and lay the lead on top then top up the bag with pellets, crumb or whatever your choice of bait.

gently ease your lead up in the bag till the A/T sleeve is just poking up then seal the bag, fold down bottom corners and stick, job done.

i use a 2.75 T/C rod with a 2.5oz lead and this casts quite nicely out to C75yds.

heres how its done, just F/F to 2:18 to skip the jargon :lol:

The Fox Rapide range holder/opener thing looks brilliant. Thanks for the vid.

18 hours ago, PandA698 said:

The Fox Rapide range holder/opener thing looks brilliant. Thanks for the vid.

been using it for a few years now and believe me when i say, it simplifies the job, its quick (when you get the hang) and its great for getting consistently proportioned bags.

once you have invested in the rapide system you can get the refills cheaper from the bay, almost everyone makes same size bags :lol:

On 23/08/2018 at 13:19, cyborx said:

been using it for a few years now and believe me when i say, it simplifies the job, its quick (when you get the hang) and its great for getting consistently proportioned bags.

once you have invested in the rapide system you can get the refills cheaper from the bay, almost everyone makes same size bags :lol:

Recommend any in particular from ebay mate?

On 23/08/2018 at 08:19, cyborx said:

I got the small and large loaders, love'em.