KHV

oscsha

2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I think To get rid of KHV totally from a water it has to be drained, the bottom limed and allowed to stand fallow, and can't be restocked for 2 years.

Plus any remaining stock destroyed and not moved on I believe.  Horrible job for anyone......

4 hours ago, AndyCh said:

Why oh why would anyone want fish from a water that has previously had KHV? Unbelievable!

Andy, 

Please forgive me for making assumptions, but from the posts of yours I have read, you are an angler who watches, looks, understands and comes to sensible conclusions, and are interested in the history.

You don't appear to be a 'catch at all costs' angler, but obviously you want to catch, if possible from a normal water.

Sadly many modern anglers don't have the same ethics as you show, they don't care for the history or the fish, just treating them as numbers.

49 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Andy, 

Please forgive me for making assumptions, but from the posts of yours I have read, you are an angler who watches, looks, understands and comes to sensible conclusions, and are interested in the history.

You don't appear to be a 'catch at all costs' angler, but obviously you want to catch, if possible from a normal water.

Sadly many modern anglers don't have the same ethics as you show, they don't care for the history or the fish, just treating them as numbers.

Blimey I'm going to take that as a compliment, thank you.

I'd like to think that your assumption is spot though.

I get more enjoyment catching carp how I want to catch them, and from where I want to catch them, rather than their numbers and sizes. Mind you it is forty-six years since I caught my first carp by design and I'm sure that I've learned to appreciate things more with age.

So, I find it sad that after all the work done by echo, we now have more KHV in the UK than at anytime before, something inevitable considering the UK stance on it.

It should be a notifiable disease with a total eradication program of any fishery found positive for the virus.

KHV has no effective vaccine and any fish surviving the disease is a carrier for life.

The method used by Israeli fish farms to produce the so called vaccinated carp is not effective.

It produces batches of carp that can be reared to edible sizes without succumbing to the disease, but not 100% wont succumb, given stress factors a small percentage [2-3%]will contract the disease and die, this is acceptable in a rearing pond where one expects to lose a small percentage it better than losing 98% in none inoculated fish. 

However stock these same fish into a mixed carp water and one is asking for trouble as that small percentage of diseased fish will infect all the naïve fish.

We simply should not allow inoculated fish into the UK, we should wait for a real vaccine.

We are currently importing these inoculated fish at an alarming rate for the pet trade and given the fact that in the latest government questionnaire about none natives 2% of people openly admitted in releasing fish into the wild, its plain to see where this is going to end.

1 hour ago, levigsp said:

So, I find it sad that after all the work done by echo, we now have more KHV in the UK than at anytime before, something inevitable considering the UK stance on it.

It should be a notifiable disease with a total eradication program of any fishery found positive for the virus.

KHV has no effective vaccine and any fish surviving the disease is a carrier for life.

The method used by Israeli fish farms to produce the so called vaccinated carp is not effective.

It produces batches of carp that can be reared to edible sizes without succumbing to the disease, but not 100% wont succumb, given stress factors a small percentage [2-3%]will contract the disease and die, this is acceptable in a rearing pond where one expects to lose a small percentage it better than losing 98% in none inoculated fish. 

However stock these same fish into a mixed carp water and one is asking for trouble as that small percentage of diseased fish will infect all the naïve fish.

We simply should not allow inoculated fish into the UK, we should wait for a real vaccine.

We are currently importing these inoculated fish at an alarming rate for the pet trade and given the fact that in the latest government questionnaire about none natives 2% of people openly admitted in releasing fish into the wild, its plain to see where this is going to end.

I think that you'll find that there is at least one 'fish farm'/dealer that is openly importing these Israeli fish for stocking into established fisheries.

I certainly didn't have to think for a split second before deciding that they weren't for me.

Cheap way to get some big fish for a certain type of water ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

13 minutes ago, AndyCh said:

I think that you'll find that there is at least one 'fish farm'/dealer that is openly importing these Israeli fish for stocking into established fisheries.

I certainly didn't have to think for a split second before deciding that they weren't for me.

Cheap way to get some big fish for a certain type of water ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

I know, I pointed this out on every forum I could find years ago and if you go back and look, you will find my heated discussions with the owners of a  farm.

1 hour ago, levigsp said:

I have a few mates who have had the carp in their ponds breed and produce numbers of small fish, both koi and standard carp. I know darn well 'overstock' has been used to 'seed' rivers and lakes as well. A local koi supplier bought some koi into his business, not knowing they had been imported from Israel, the result in a hot summer, his own koi pond was found to contain KHV.

Israel farms carp for one purpose only, kosher fish as they cannot according to their religion eat fish with no scales or fins, for food.

Europe is alive with various viruses, diseases and parasites, yet illegally and legally, we continue to get fish from mainland Europe.

14 minutes ago, AndyCh said:

Yes mate, when Capitalism meets Nature, two different worlds collide, square peg round hole... They will never co-exist as by it's very nature, Capitalism destroys the natural world in the name of money......

27749887_1101158930023594_1807192076696006818_n.jpg

30 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I have a few mates who have had the carp in their ponds breed and produce numbers of small fish, both koi and standard carp. I know darn well 'overstock' has been used to 'seed' rivers and lakes as well. A local koi supplier bought some koi into his business, not knowing they had been imported from Israel, the result in a hot summer, his own koi pond was found to contain KHV.

Israel farms carp for one purpose only, kosher fish as they cannot according to their religion eat fish with no scales or fins, for food.

Europe is alive with various viruses, diseases and parasites, yet illegally and legally, we continue to get fish from mainland Europe.

As you know I have travelled round a lot of the worlds carp breeding sites and I must say that some of the European breeders are very careful about what they do, after all its their livelihood and reputation that's on the line.

However Europe has got some nasty virus diseases etc and unfortunately a lot in the wild and that seems to be the source of a lot of fish destined for the UK angling market.

Legally fish can only be exported imported from fish farms that can prove they are Virus free and bio secure, Illegally they can be exported/imported from anywhere.

As for Israel, I am torn on this one- On one hand they are fantastic at breeding, rearing and general husbandry, but lets be honest their expertise came from the masters in what is now Germany, Poland, Czech rep and Slovakia.

Likewise their brood fish came from same self countries after the 2nd world war and from these through selective breeding they produced some fantastic strains of carp, some were exported to the UK and South Africa etc.

But on the other hand some of the breeders there are producing and exporting fish that are danger to the carp as a breed worldwide.

On the subject of Israeli exports, I knew one called Leila, well worth knowing but that another tale!!!!

2 hours ago, levigsp said:

As you know I have travelled round a lot of the worlds carp breeding sites and I must say that some of the European breeders are very careful about what they do, after all its their livelihood and reputation that's on the line.

However Europe has got some nasty virus diseases etc and unfortunately a lot in the wild and that seems to be the source of a lot of fish destined for the UK angling market.

Legally fish can only be exported imported from fish farms that can prove they are Virus free and bio secure, Illegally they can be exported/imported from anywhere.

As for Israel, I am torn on this one- On one hand they are fantastic at breeding, rearing and general husbandry, but lets be honest their expertise came from the masters in what is now Germany, Poland, Czech rep and Slovakia.

Likewise their brood fish came from same self countries after the 2nd world war and from these through selective breeding they produced some fantastic strains of carp, some were exported to the UK and South Africa etc.

But on the other hand some of the breeders there are producing and exporting fish that are danger to the carp as a breed worldwide.

On the subject of Israeli exports, I knew one called Leila, well worth knowing but that another tale!!!!

i once knew a Leila, not one bit carpy but could trout pout like a champion :lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...