Sediment on line.

salokcinnodrog

I'm wondering how much more visible a fluorocarbon coated line is made by a coating of sediment from a lake.

When I changed the line on my reels, you could see and feel the sediment on the line, dry and powdery, with a whitish coating. In the water, obviously, it is not dry, but does it stick out on the line? Does it stick in between trips, or does it get washed off, then recoat it?

I tend to reel in between my fingers a few times, and give my line a coating of Greased Lightning every now and again, which I think reduces the sediment sticking for a while.

Never really thought about this , but if you're picking up sediment then is there any real point in using it ,your water must be clouded up and whatever line will be coated in the sediment, I'm thinking as long as the line is down and out the way then it doesn't matter what type it is ....

• 1 year later...

I'm fishing a clear lake at the moment and when I get up in the morning my lines look awful under the water with sediment that seems to have collected on them through the night.  The line (fluoro seems to be a little worse than nylon or braid) looks like brown wool and it certainly ruins the stealth aspect of the fluorocarbon.  I tend to pick up the rods and move them around a bit to shake it off and can see it falling away.  The lake is deep (up to 13m) and I don't know whether this is sediment is collecting all the way down to the tubing or whether my 'shaking' tactic is effective all the way down but it works to remove it as far as I can see.  I'm convinced the fish are hemmed in by the lines and so I've started using back leads so that at least the line is running along the bottom in the main.

I always reel in through a wet tissue - it is amazing what comes off the line onto the tissue.

I'll try the greased lightening trick.

On 22 June 2018 at 20:48, salokcinnodrog said:

I'm wondering how much more visible a fluorocarbon coated line is made by a coating of sediment from a lake.

My limited experience of fluoro line is that it attracts detritus and sediment and looks awful, needs regular wiping, then attracts it again and so on.

TBH it looks so bad I've stayed on Mono ever since.

it does become an issue on long sessions, especially if the water is prone to algae blooms, one cure is to cast out as normal, but when you wind in do so with the line in a cloth or sponge... I think Thinking Anglers had a circular sponge that could be placed into the butt ring for the retrieve, thus cleaning off the worst of the cack