New to forum/carp fishing

Hello from Massachusetts! I just recently got into carp fishing after seeing the success my close friend was having. The only people I know that fish for carp are close friends of mine, so it's nice to have somewhere else to talk to people and bounce ideas off of. The two photos I've included are my first and only two carp. Looking forward to catching some larger specimens!

received_10214638762915689.jpeg

20180505_201735.jpg

Cracking fish! But.....please please please invest in either a cradle or an unhooking mat and never stand up holding the fish, if it was to flap and you dropped it it would cause serious damage and possibly death 😐 (please take that as friendly advice 😁

welcome to the forum and enjoy 👍🏻

as above and while your busy buying the carp safety gear please please please buy some camo gear, just shorts and tee to start cos you will never catch if you dont look carpy 😂  😂  😂

welcome to the mad house buddy, those are some crackers eh!!

9 hours ago, cyborx said:

welcome to the mad house buddy, those are some crackers eh!!

What, the legs or the socks?????? 😱

As mentioned above, never (ever) stand holding a fish like that. That poor fish in the second picture looks like it's covered in dirt and has "dried out".

An unhooking mat, and a bucket of water to help keep the fish wet are two of the most important things to have with you whilst fishing.

Just friendly advice as mentioned above. 

On second thoughts that 2nd shot has got to be the most horrendous "trophy shot" I have ever clapped eyes on.

It has made me feel sick to see such a beautiful fish handled in that way.

One can only guess what that poor fish went through whilst being unhooked.

I am absolutely disgusted. Sorry.

Edited by smufter

I apologize for landing the fish this way as my close friend has the unhooking mat, and had to leave but I wasn't done with my trip. These were my first fish and I will be buying all that equipment before my next trip. Thank you everyone for the tips and will be much more careful when landing and unhooking. Sadly everything good is mail order from across the pond, they are still considered a "trash fish" here (the state record was actually shot with a fishing bow) but hopefully that is changing soon! I hope I didn't offend anyone too badly, I was excited about my first catch

21 minutes ago, Smketr said:

I apologize for landing the fish this way as my close friend has the unhooking mat, and had to leave but I wasn't done with my trip. These were my first fish and I will be buying all that equipment before my next trip. Thank you everyone for the tips and will be much more careful when landing and unhooking. Sadly everything good is mail order from across the pond, they are still considered a "trash fish" here (the state record was actually shot with a fishing bow) but hopefully that is changing soon! I hope I didn't offend anyone too badly, I was excited about my first catch

sorry you had such a negative reaction but we are so very anal about the way we treat fish over here, you should read my response to a bloke who came on here chatting about ice fishing or the one who was talking about Australia's wanting to introduce a disease to control the numbers, really ripped em a new Ar,,, ooh better not put that :lol::lol:

it all boils down to enjoy yourself as long as you treat your quarry with respect, hope to see you grow as a new American carper and post lots of pics.

have fun,,, Jon

a good accesible alternative to an unhooking mat would be one of these wrapped in a plastic trash bag

https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Quiet-Deluxe-Ombre-Swirl/dp/B003D7LCRM/ref=sr_1_22?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1526050010&sr=1-22&keywords=dog+beds

Edited by cyborx

1 hour ago, cyborx said:

sorry you had such a negative reaction but we are so very anal about the way we treat fish over here, you should read my response to a bloke who came on here chatting about ice fishing or the one who was talking about Australia's wanting to introduce a disease to control the numbers, really ripped em a new Ar,,, ooh better not put that :lol::lol:

it all boils down to enjoy yourself as long as you treat your quarry with respect, hope to see you grow as a new American carper and post lots of pics.

have fun,,, Jon

a good accesible alternative to an unhooking mat would be one of these wrapped in a plastic trash bag

https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Quiet-Deluxe-Ombre-Swirl/dp/B003D7LCRM/ref=sr_1_22?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1526050010&sr=1-22&keywords=dog+beds

Thank you! I don't take anything personal, it's good to see people so passionate and careful with their fish. I also fly fish and bow hunt, so those pictures are not a great representation of me as a sportsman. I care greatly about my quarry (you develop a respect for an animal you stalk for 8 months or so before you can harvest). As for the alternative option for a landing mat, thank you! I have already ordered the item you linked

12 hours ago, Smketr said:

I apologise for reacting so badly fella. I'm an old grouch in the mornings! 

They are lovely fish by the way, and I know that Carp are looked on differently in the States than they are over here. Congratulations on your catches. 

As others have said, a good landing net, a decent mat or cradle, and a bucket of water at the ready to douse the fish thoroughly whilst you are going through the unhooking and photo stage and you're good to go.

Keep it going.

Rob