Hello there.. New to carping

Hi guys and girls, I'm new to the forum.

i currently just do pikeing in Scotland mainly in winter months, I am looking to get into carping for the summer months on my days off.

i live just outside Blackpool and decided to join the forum to learn more about carping and maybe meet similar people in the area who can help me out and do some fishing with.

We all know a little bit of knowledge is dangerous hence why I'm looking on forums for some advise before getting out there.

kind Regards Rob 

Edited by Bobby0845

Welcome along rob, you will definitely find some useful info on here, use the search facility in the first instance as you will find literally 100’s if not 1000’s of topics already discussed in great detail.

just remember “no such thing as a stupid question” so ask away and people will answer.

have fun and tight lines

Welcome to the forum :)

10 hours ago, Bobby0845 said:

We all know a little bit of knowledge is dangerous hence why I'm looking on forums for some advise before getting out there.

I know that it's difficult when you first start, I would advise that you don't spend all of your time trying to decide what you need, your pike rods and reels (and line) will probably do for starters, so really a few hooks and you should be away.

11 hours ago, Bobby0845 said:

Hi guys and girls, I'm new to the forum.

i currently just do pikeing in Scotland mainly in winter months, I am looking to get into carping for the summer months on my days off.

i live just outside Blackpool and decided to join the forum to learn more about carping and maybe meet similar people in the area who can help me out and do some fishing with.

kind Regards Rob 

Hi Rob. 

With being a newbie myself the only advice I can give you is have a really good search on this forum. There is a weath of knowledge on here I have learnt a lot just buy searching and reading on here. 

Also I'd have a look on YouTube for how to tie your rigs but what I did was took advice of here and just keep it simple. Simple hair rigs to start. 

And like someone already said rods and reels that you use for your piking should do too start. Being a pike angler myself thats just what I did. 

It's not worth spending your budget on new rods and reels. Spend it on your terminal tackle and all the other items you are going to need for carping. 

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will be along to tell me. Lol. 

The main thing is get out there and enjoy your fishing. :D

I have another option which is us a old set of pike rods and reels.

i have a set of Maver rods 2.75lb tc and a set of shimano 4500 baitrunners.

i could always try using them to start as I won't be fishing massive waters, I more than likely won't have the need to cast near 100 yards.

they rods have landed pike up to 19lb on them.

i suppose having these options are due to be a hoarder and not getting rid of much gear 😂😂

2 hours ago, Bobby0845 said:

i could always try using them to start as I won't be fishing massive waters, I more than likely won't have the need to cast near 100 yards.

i suppose having these options are due to be a hoarder and not getting rid of much gear 😂😂

Welcome to the forum.

Your rods and reels are more than adequate. Get out there and enjoy it!

6 hours ago, Bobby0845 said:

I use my carp rods for pike no problems😉

Tons of good advice on here!

I started carping in January, despite general coarse and fly fishing for 10 years. This forum has been of great help to me.

Lots to learn, but so many great members on here to guide you! I'd keep it simple to start with, and use a running rig and semi-slack lines where you can. 

Use braid, or coated braid, for your hook links. I started of using mono, but braid is far superior.

A decent book on carping will also be invaluable!

Edited by TheKingTench

On 12/03/2018 at 19:51, B.C. said:

Welcome mate,

As above....... Simple tackle, simple rigs, put in the right place.

I second this. All of my fish this year have been on running rigs with either maggots, or pellets. Location is absolutely everything. Your background in piking will also help you. I know my background in general coarse fishing has helped me out a long the way.