Traces for Zander?

Hi,

I want to target Zander on my local canal.  On my stretches I believe there will be more jacks than anything else, which leads me to question traces.

a) am I right to think a trace is a must in this situation?

If the answer to this is Yes

b) How light a trace will I be able to find and how should I set it up for float fished deadbaiting?

Cheers

you will need a trace kev .... you can either make some up to a single hook or trebbles,   both will catch . back when I fished for Zander popping up a dead bait was deadly . I just used foam stuffed down into the dead bait . they definitely shoal up too mate so fish through the smaller ones if needs be .

Great thanks for that chill 

My mate is suggesting a single hook and hair rigging a half roach.

Where he fishes it's all zander so no trace needed whereas the stretches I grew up on were full of jacks but it could well have changed, there were no zander then anyway lol getting on a bit.

Walking my dog along my old haunts I've seen one area that gets fished a little by a couple of sprat bashers so that will be where I start.

Never had a zander they seem pretty Carpy!!! 😊

never tried using a hair rig for them ... but can see it working, they feed differently to pike,  more of a bite to injure the fish to then eat it . I would go with the single hook approach .

when I was fishing for them it didn't normally take to long if they were in the area , 45 mins would be as long as I would wait before a move .

give popping up a bait a go .... have it wafting about on a 2ft length. 

• 3 months later...
On 21 November 2017 at 22:51, chillfactor said:

never tried using a hair rig for them ... but can see it working, they feed differently to pike,  more of a bite to injure the fish to then eat it . I would go with the single hook approach .

when I was fishing for them it didn't normally take to long if they were in the area , 45 mins would be as long as I would wait before a move .

give popping up a bait a go .... have it wafting about on a 2ft length. 

Pike hit a bait in the middle, and turn it round to swallow head first.

Zander, and perch, hit from behind, and swallow tail first.

Always need to use a wire trace for zander, too much chance of a pike taking the bait. A treble sewing up the stomach is a death sentence for pike.